Menu

Ultimate Chick Flick Moment....

Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton reuniting at the train station!

You beat me to it!! Actually, I was going to say, when Margaret was going away in the carriage and Mr. Thornton is standing in the window, saying "Look back at me"...oh, it makes me want to cry. It's when we realize he really loves her, despite the fact that he doesn't yet know the truth about the man she was embracing in the train station.

dreamy sigh...perhaps a viewing of North and South is in order for this Mother's Day. :)

when Margaret was going away in the carriage and Mr. Thornton is standing in the window, saying "Look back at me"...

dreamy sigh...perhaps a viewing of North and South is in order for this Mother's Day. :)

This is our favorite scene too! I quote it all the time.

Well, those are great, but what about when Mr. Knightly tells Emma he wants to be more than her friend? I love that.

Of course, I still love Han Solo's 'I know' when Leia shouts out that she loves him just before he gets frozen.

Or when Jack says 'come 'ere' (how would you write that?) to Sam is any Stargate episode....

Sigh...definitely time for a chick flick marathon...

Is it when Darcy and Elizabeth FINALLY admit to loving each other OR when Edward shows up at Barton Cottage and Eleanor realizes he is not married to Lucy Stone......

I'd say Edward & Elinor at Barton Cottage. As much as I *LOVE* P&P, I do believe the scene between E&E is more romantic than the scene between D&E.

Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton reuniting at the train station!

Yes, yes, yes! That is one of my favorite movies, and favorite scenes. Along with the "look back at me" scene. :001_wub: Hmmm...I think I know what I'm watching tonight. ;)

Oh, I also rather like in the new Pride & Prejudice when Darcy stammers, "I lo, lov, love you" or something to that effect. And when they are fighting in the rain and he looks like he's going to kiss her. What a cutie. Very much dislike Keira Knightly as Elizabeth though. Can't imagine what they where thinking. :confused: But, I do like the new Jane better!

I have just concluded a girl weekend alone (dh and boys all went fishing) and I watched the new BBC versions of Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility (Costco has a set of them right now). Loved them both...though all that running around at the end of Persuasion was a bit taxing. :001_huh: :blink: And I didn't like the way they had her hair skinned back all the time. :tongue_smilie: Sheesh. Wentworth was rather dreamy though. ;)

What fun! I love a good movie. Speaking of which...Ghosts of Girlfriends Past was horrid and unseemly. Don't bother seeing it unless you like vulgarity (as well as half-naked women) Can't Hollywood make a decent chick flick anymore?

Well, since dh and I just watched S&S on HBO this week and I had to narrate and explain each and every scene, I have to go with the 1995 movie S&S when Edward shows up at Barton Cottage and Elinor realizes he is not married to Lucy Stone.

I love the whole scene. The ladies running in and acting like they didn't see Edward riding up. The sibling interaction rings so true even today. Where Margaret has been told that if she can't say anything appropriate to restrict herself to the weather. So, when Edward comes in she says that they have been having fine weather and Marianne does something like pinch or shove her anyway. I love the politeness with which they treat Edward even though they think he is married to Lucy. I love watching Emma Thompson as Elinor who has kept her emotion so in control loose it when she realizes that Edward is not married. The mother and sisters hussling outside leaving Edward and Elinor alone only to have Margaret watch them from the treehouse.

And it definitely has the chick flick thing going on. In true romance fashion although the story shows how social standing and marriage at the time were terribly complicated, our heroines Elinor and Marianne find true relationships in spite of it all.

Very Satisfying!:D

Mandy

Well, since dh and I just watched S&S on HBO this week and I had to narrate and explain each and every scene, I have to go with the 1995 movie S&S when Edward shows up at Barton Cottage and Elinor realizes he is not married to Lucy Stone.

I love the whole scene. The ladies running in and acting like they didn't see Edward riding up. The sibling interaction rings so true even today. Where Margaret has been told that if she can't say anything appropriate to restrict herself to the weather. So, when Edward comes in she says that they have been having fine weather and Marianne does something like pinch or shove her anyway. I love the politeness with which they treat Edward even though they think he is married to Lucy. I love watching Emma Thompson as Elinor who has kept her emotion so in control loose it when she realizes that Edward is not married. The mother and sisters hussling outside leaving Edward and Elinor alone only to have Margaret watch them from the treehouse.

And it definitely has the chick flick thing going on. In true romance fashion although the story shows how social standing and marriage at the time were terribly complicated, our heroines Elinor and Marianne find true relationships in spite of it all.

Very Satisfying!:D

Mandy

I just happily rewatched this movie (after not seeing it for maybe 5 years) this past Friday night. DD-17 and I had just wrapped up reading and discussing S&S as part of her British Literature class.

Anyway . . . I just adore this scene. When Elinor breaks down into ragged sobs, I cannot help choking up myself. Emma Thompson does a magnificent job with that scene! As my dd pointed out, that's how people really cry when they are deeply emotional.

Love that movie. I also love the Colin Firth version of P&P, however.

My favorite is when Anne Elliot reads the note that Captain Wentworth has hurriedly written to her desperately declaring his love for her after she has lost all hope. It was better when I read it in the book, but still, I like this scene better than all the others mentioned so far.:)

Speaking of which...Ghosts of Girlfriends Past was horrid and unseemly.

Thanks for the heads up on this movie.

My sighs:

4. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe FINALLY realize they are meant for each other...even if the books are better, the CBC production was so sweet and a part of my high school experience. It shaped my view of romance for years...

3. "Don't cry Shop Girl, don't cry..." (Tom Hanks to Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail...) (even my HUSBAND thinks this is a great scene!)

2. Persuasion: Anne & Captain Wentworth's final, happy reunion. Both the older and newer BBC versions are very good. The earlier is from the late 70's or early 80's is great, but the recent BBC/Masterpiece Classic version has better production values. Honestly, it's been so long since I read the book that I can't remember which is more accurate.

1. All time fave: Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett...Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. No need to explain any further. Pure romantic perfection!!

Okay, mine is in the A&E version of P&P, when Caroline Bingly starts talking about Mr. Wickham and Darcy's sister fumbles at the piano. Actually, it's when Elizabeth goes to help her turn the pages. The look Mr. Darcy gives her.... oooh, ultimate chick flick moment!

Not Austen, but I do also love the look on Aragorn's face when, at the end of the Return of the King, he sees for the first time that Arwen is there.

What about Orson Welles as Rochester (Right, man I need to read Jane Eyre again!) is wooing Jane and calls her Janet. Man, I was rubber. And, I know this is going to sound corny, but Capt Von Trapp states to Maria, "How can I marry her, when I am in love with someone else". Of course, he is gazing into her eyes the whole time. I cannot tell you what that scene does to me. Hubba hubba. :D