Menu

IKEA Kitchen cabinets, has anyone bought?

We're looking to do a total kitchen remodel of a small kitchen with attached dining room area. We don't need alot of cabinets due to space restrictions. We want modern European style cabinetry with full overlay. We don't need custom as we only need 2 single wall cabinets with respective bases on one side & the same on the other adding in a kitchen sink base, not a lot of cabinetry at all. Dh can install easily, but all we have in the area is Home Depot & they have no modern styles at all. We would like to buy local in case there is a problem or damage & we have to return.

There is an IKEA 65 miles away that I'm sure would have modern styles, but am afraid of quality & have no idea of $. I'm O.K. with box frames being some non-wood as the only close style at Home Depot is that.

Also is you can tell me of any cabinet brands in general that are modern, if we have to we could find a local kitchen remodeler & maybe order through them if larger manufacturer only goes through dealer.

Just really want a modern clean updated look.

Also does Lowe's carry cabinetry? I looked on their site which is a pain to get an idea about. It basically looked like one style either finished or not. Do they have more displays in store?

TIA for any & all kitchen remodel advice.

They have a good reputation on the Gardenweb kitchens forum, and you can check out ikeafans.com for more shots of their cabinets in actual kitchens.

Lowe's does carry more cabinet lines, though I don't know whether they or HD would have many I would classify as "modern." Ikea, however, is definitely modern, though I have seen pics of some traditional kitchens in which they worked fine.

Ikea isn't the best quality cabinet, but it's right there with the mid-range lines from Ikea and HD. If you go, though, try to go during the week. Whatever you do, do not go the week that your local college students are moving into their dorms and apartments. Ask me how I know this is a bad idea.

Terri

Definitely consider the Ikea cabinets. They are very reasonably priced, are easy to assemble, and seem quite sturdy. They are certainly comparable to anything you'd see at Lowe's or Home Depot, and cost a fraction of the price.

You'll need to assemble them yourselves (unless you hire Ikea-approved installers to do it for you,) but if you've ever put together a bookcase with those little cam-things, and know how to use a screwdriver, it's no problem at all.

We've used Ikea cabinets and everyone who saw them was very impressed. I wanted all professional grade appliances, so since I was spending well over $20,000.00 on those, I chose to use Ikea cabinets to save some money, and you'd never know they weren't expensive. Sure, the boxes aren't solid wood, but the doors are very nice and the hinges are very sturdy, so they're working out very well. So far, everything is holding up very well and I'm pleased with the purchase.

One way to make the cabinets look more expensive is to buy super-nice door and drawer pulls. The ones they sell at Ikea are ok, but nothing to write home about. We bought our pulls at Restoration Hardware; they cost a lot more, but are really beautiful and add a high-end look to the cabinets.

Call your area Ikea store to make sure they have a large display of the cabinets. One store in our area has a ton of complete kitchen set-ups; the other only has a few, so it's worth a call before you go. You can also use the online kitchen planner at Ikea.com to get some ideas of what you might need or want. Also, be sure to request their kitchen catalog -- there's a lot better selection in there than in the regular Ikea catalog.

Cat

I've never used Ikea cabinets, but you can view what they have on their website and even check the stock at the store of your choosing. http://www.ikea.com

As for Lowe's, the one in my city only carries traditional style in their store, but you can order some really nice custom ones. That may be a bit more than what you want to spend, though. I think Lowe's is a bit pricey, but I'm relatively cheap anyway, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

We remodeled in the fall with Ikea cabinets. The quality is excellent. The warranty is crazy long for these cabinets. They are easy to assemble and install. I assembled and installed 20 cabinet MYSELF, some I cut myself for custom applications. My only assistance was Bud holding the wall cabinets in place while I mounted them onto the rail system. Otherwise it is a one woman job.

The hardware is made by Blumotion, which is top quality. The drawer glides are just wonderful - full extension and soft close. Love them! And you will really love the full overlay doors, and the space that gives you. I also recommend using all drawers on your lower cabinets if you can - it will give you so much more usable and easily accessible space.

Like the other poster, we spent our money on exotic granite and high end appliances and I'm really very happy with that choice. The Ikea looks and functions great. If you like the look of Ikea, you will be very happy with it.

We did a whole kitchen remodel about 2 years ago, ripping down to studs. We used Ikea cabinets, countertops, sink, faucet (which I affectionately refer to as the "morgue sprayer")... They're great.

In our application, we installed upper and lower cabinets on 1 1/2 walls (we have a LOT of doors and windows) and built an 8' island with the sink and dishwasher built into it.

As Cat said, the cabinets were very easy to put together and install. The quality rivals the brands I investigated at Lowe's and Home Depot, and the drawer and hinge mechanisms exceeded the ones we saw in those showrooms. (I highly recommend the soft-close drawer dampers.)

They also have features that I did not see in other places. For instance, we have a corner cabinet with swing out shelves, and a 1/2 depth cabinet (12" from wall to front) with drawers inside. I second IkeaFans.com for some really neat "hacks" that we've considered implementing (like under-cabinet drawers for additional storage).

We went with a more traditional, white bead board, look for ours, because our house is a Victorian and a more modern look would have been out of place, but the majority of their offerings were either modern or transitional, and even the bead board has a more sleek look to it than the other, similar styles by Kraftmaid and others.

Personally, I love IKEA cabinets (don't have them, but almost bought them for a house... where I no longer live!).

However - you may want to call a couple of local, private cabinet makers and have them give you a quote. I have always assumed that 'custom' cabinets would be much more expensive, but this is not always the case. My sister was planning on IKEA cabinets and decided to get 'custom' quotes on a lark because her IKEA was so far away.

It turned out that the local cabinet guy was actually less expensive for her, even though they are essentially the same "look" as the IKEA ones she was looking to buy. As a bonus, they fit exactly, and she didn't have to put them together!

asta

Personally, I love IKEA cabinets (don't have them, but almost bought them for a house... where I no longer live!).

However - you may want to call a couple of local, private cabinet makers and have them give you a quote. I have always assumed that 'custom' cabinets would be much more expensive, but this is not always the case. My sister was planning on IKEA cabinets and decided to get 'custom' quotes on a lark because her IKEA was so far away.

It turned out that the local cabinet guy was actually less expensive for her, even though they are essentially the same "look" as the IKEA ones she was looking to buy. As a bonus, they fit exactly, and she didn't have to put them together!

asta

Second this! Quotes are free.

My boy friend just started his own kitchen repair/remodeling business and because the economy is the way that it is, he is willing to go cheaper on the labor in order to get a job. 10 years ago, not the case.

We're so happy our closing was yesterday!!! Yeah, I'm with all of those who still have there homes on the market, we know how grateful we should be as it took us six months & it was over the winter.

So now since we have the $$ we'll be setting off to IKEA in a couple of weeks when dh has his next weekday off. I'm really glad to know IRL how well your kitchens turned out with IKEA. We'll be pricing one Kraft Maid style from Ascentia line from Home Depot, but we'll have to travel for that display 40 miles in the other direction from our home. We'll price IKEA & BIL works for a company that does custom cabinetry for commercial applications, so we'll get a quote from him also. Really hoping HD or IKEA come in the best as working with BIL would be a nightmare, but since he knows we're re-doing kitchen & he shows up weekly we'll have to go through the motions.

Thanks again for all of the great advice.

Really hoping HD or IKEA come in the best as working with BIL would be a nightmare, but since he knows we're re-doing kitchen & he shows up weekly we'll have to go through the motions.

You've probably heard this one but don't hire family! Same goes for friends. Just DON'T. I don't know of one person (IRL) who hired a friend or family member to work on their house and was pleased but I've sure met some who weren't. :glare:

I have IKEA wall cabinets in my sewing and school areas and LOVE the hardware system. I'm not familiar with the base cabinets but if they're anything like the wall cabinets I would do a kitchen in them with no hesitation.

Did you realize you can download free software from their website and design your kitchen with it? It will then generate a price/parts list for you. It's fun to play with and you get a cool 3D view of the finished kitchen with the different door fronts etc. It's very cool. Try it!

Some Ikea stuff is hit-or-miss re: quality, but we've been *very* happy with our kitchen cabinet stuff! We've only had ours for a few months, but when comparing around and talking to other people who've used them (including a friend who put Ikea kitchens into several of her rental properties -- where things sometimes live a tougher life than they would otherwise) we felt very good about the choice.

So far I have zero complaints!

I was thinking about this too. I have cabinets that are 20 years old and falling apart. The thing is, I would like the next set to last more than 20 years. Maybe that's asking too much, but mine were particle board so although I had high hopes for IKEA's price, I'm not sure what I think after reading the thread.

http://www.yelp.com/topic/austin-did-you-renovate-with-ikea-cabinets