Menu

May rent place where owners will keep horses - dangerous?

We are in PA and we may rent a house on 15 acres in a small town. The owners will keep their horses there. The place has 2 barns and a pasture that is surrounded by an electrified "fence" -- it's just wires run between poles.

The owners will come out to take care of the horses. We won't have any responsibility for them at all.

The horses are 2 regular, gelded, black ones, 1 untrained, not gelded, 3 year old Clydesdale, and 3 miniatures. They share the same fenced-in pasture. From what I can see, they just stand around and eat grass.

They came up to the fence when the owner called them. The Clydesdale kept following me down the fence line to nuzzle me -- he is my favorite.

Are there any downsides to this plan? Are horses dangerous for us to live next to -- considering we have not been around horses before? (My son was *amazed* at how big they are -- only DD has ever been around a live horse, as opposed to seeing them on t.v.)

Say I ask the owner to teach me how to help take care of the horses -- like brushing them and giving them a bath and so forth. Is that dangerous? Are horses apt to kick or bite people who are cleaning them?

We are traveling without a laptop (kids broke it, can you believe that!), so I will check back tonight when we get to the next hotel.

Thanks,

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

If the fence is good and strong and your children will NOT touch it or hand feed the horses, you should be fine.

The only one I might worry about is the 3 year old stallion. A draft horse stallion might be a lot to handle. Is the owner going to geld him or leave him a stallion?

We have 3 horses and will be bringing them home next week to our own place. They are a lot of fun and a lot of work.

If the owner will do all of the work, I would let him. Over time, you might learn enough to handle the geldings and minis (remember minis are horses, not big dogs) but I would NEVER enter a pasture with a stallion (even to get the other horses) or handle the stallion unless you are very horse experienced.

Well trained horses are usually great for grooming, etc. but again, they are animals and big, powerful animals. Not to scare you at all but if you do rent here (and I would--depending on the stallion situation), I would suggest that you get some good horsemanship and riding lessons for you and the kids if you are interested in horses. Learn how to properly and safely lead them, tie them, groom them and then eventually ride them.

This place might open up an opportunity for you to own a horse as well--if that interests you. The owner might allow you to keep a horse there (but I wouldn't put mine out with a stallion) in exchange for you helping with some of the chores, etc.

Bottom line, if the fences are good and strong and "hot" (meaning electric is on) and you can trust your kids not to hand feed the horses or try to go in the pasture with them, it can be a good situation. Hand feeding them can make them pushy.

I am soooo jealous!

Isn't this the house you posted about renting last week....or was that someone else?

I love horses......the older gals especially.

A young horse with his balls - I wouldn't know what to do. But it would not prevent me from moving there!

Ooooh.. my kids would love that! I think it would be a neat experience. Just make sure your kids get educated on horse safety. My son just got his first class a few weeks ago. Today we're going to horse-back riding lessons an hour away. No horses near us.

Stay away from someone else's horses. They are unpredictable, especially the stallion. (What are they thinking anyhow, to pasture a stallion with geldings and minis???)

I NEVER let anyone handle my stallion, (I was the only one who ever worked with him) or allowed the kids to go into his pasture.

We've got renters now in our farmhouse next to the pasture where I sometimes put some of the horses. They are under strict orders to leave my horses alone, no apples, no treats.

Edited by Remudamom

Stay away from someone else's horses. They are unpredictable, especially the stallion. (What are they thinking anyhow, to pasture a stallion with geldings and minis???)

I NEVER let anyone handle my stallion, (I was the only one who ever worked with him) or allowed the kids to go into his pasture.

We've got renters now in our farmhouse next to the pasture where I sometimes put some of the horses. They are under strict orders to leave my horses alone, no apples, no treats.

:iagree:

Look but don't touch. The stallion could be dangerous, and there's no figuring out why they have him pastured with the others like that. At any rate, I'd steer clear of the horses at all times, even if they do seem sweet. They are valuable, large, powerful animals. You don't want to get hurt, nor do you want to be responsible for causing them harm or stress. I'd hate to see something bad happen and have the guy blame you, but it could happen. Best to make it clear that you'll not even touch them.

Ria

I think that is awesome. We had a stallion that was the sweetest most gentle guy (as long as no mare in heat was near). I believe the owners are the best source to talk to about their horses. I do believe that it is best to stay away until you know the horses, and NEVER get in the fence with them. That is especially important for your children. Now, if the owners are around, maybe they can help educate you and the children about proper horsemanship (which begins with staying safe and respecting a horses power). Then, you can begin to interact more with them. My 11yo DD has been helping her dad (he is a farrier) since she was 7. She is educated. She goes out and catches her own horse (who is only 2, halter broke and spoiled rotten). My 3 year old is FORBIDDEN around the horse unless an adult is there.

:iagree: Dangerous- No. It sounds great, but make sure the owners talk to your kids about leaving the horses alone. And I'll second the no treats! You don't want to be the cause of an animal becomeing sick or dying because you fed it something it shouldn't have. Other than that- I'd move there in a heartbeat!!

I agree 100% with Remudamom. :iagree:

Nuzzling from the 3 yo Clyde stud can very quickly turn into nipping, and then biting. Bad for you, bad for the Clyde's training, too.

I think that is awesome. We had a stallion that was the sweetest most gentle guy (as long as no mare in heat was near). I believe the owners are the best source to talk to about their horses. I do believe that it is best to stay away until you know the horses, and NEVER get in the fence with them. That is especially important for your children. Now, if the owners are around, maybe they can help educate you and the children about proper horsemanship (which begins with staying safe and respecting a horses power). Then, you can begin to interact more with them. My 11yo DD has been helping her dad (he is a farrier) since she was 7. She is educated. She goes out and catches her own horse (who is only 2, halter broke and spoiled rotten). My 3 year old is FORBIDDEN around the horse unless an adult is there.

This will sound harsh but it really isn't meant to be. An 11 yr old training her own horse, imo is fine, depending on the kid. Mine broke 2 yr olds when they were just a bit older. However, if her horse is "spoiled rotten" you've got a problem. Either she wasn't ready to train her own horse and she's spoiled it, or she's letting the horse get away with crap and she's spoiled it. That's not educated. Either way, I wouldn't tolerate a spoiled horse around an adult, much less an 11 yr old.

I just noticed your kids ages---15 year old boys and 13 year old girl, right? If so, you will be fine. They are plenty old enough to know to stay away from the fence and NOT feed them by hand---and DO NOT EVER throw grass clippings to the horses to be nice---it can kill them.

As to safety, with a good fence, they are fine. I would rent there and then over time, if you are interested, learn how to care for them---but never without the owners permission and presence.

I may sound overly strict on those issues but we are bringing our horses home in the next week or 2 and I am a bit worried about a few of the neighbors, esp. the kids. Our horses are very friendly, no mean, etc. BUT they are horses and horses can be dangerous. My rule will be no kids without THEIR parent here (unless it is a guest of ours with the parent's permission), they must wear helmets, riding for others will be severely limited to nill. There is just so much liability.

I don't worry about our horses getting out and being dangerous, more that the kids will try to go in the fence with them, etc.

And I agree with the poster that said that a nuzzling horse can soon turn into a nipper, biter, pusher, etc. A Clydesdale could easily knock you over just by trying to "nuzzle" you.

This will sound harsh but it really isn't meant to be. An 11 yr old training her own horse, imo is fine, depending on the kid. Mine broke 2 yr olds when they were just a bit older. However, if her horse is "spoiled rotten" you've got a problem. Either she wasn't ready to train her own horse and she's spoiled it, or she's letting the horse get away with crap and she's spoiled it. That's not educated. Either way, I wouldn't tolerate a spoiled horse around an adult, much less an 11 yr old.

Okay...maybe you are misinterpreting spoiled rotten as ill behaved. Spirit is very well mannered and respectful. She is just well loved and very loving in return. As long as she minds her manners, she is rewarded with treats and play. My daughter is educated and so are we and people have said many times how strong her horse-skills are. So, saying our actions are not educated is a big jump from one phrase that was not mean the way it was taken.

***sorry to hijack the post***

Thank you all very much for the advice. If we get that place, we will make sure the kids stay away from the horses and don't feed them. I saw that stallion's body part and my eyes nearly fell out of my head!

What about the electric fence. Will it hurt our collie if he goes up to it? I can't imagine him trying to get in with the horses, but how do I know how he would respond to them -- he's lived in suburbia all his life.

One of the main reasons we would get this house would be so he could run free (under supervision always).

Thank you for your help,

RC

Will it hurt our collie if he goes up to it?

Oh he won't like it at all that's for sure! Sadly, for a dog that big wet nose is a really great conductor. :tongue_smilie: It's almost certain he would stick his nose on it. Once.

I would definitely ask what the voltage is. I've been zapped myself, and even little kids touch electric fences all the time and live to tell about it. It's highly unpleasant--to say the least but they are designed to correct not actually seriously injure or kill anything (the typical fencer is anyway). We had a powerful one, and even baby goats would occasionally touch it and they were fine.

Okay...maybe you are misinterpreting spoiled rotten as ill behaved. Spirit is very well mannered and respectful. She is just well loved and very loving in return. As long as she minds her manners, she is rewarded with treats and play. My daughter is educated and so are we and people have said many times how strong her horse-skills are. So, saying our actions are not educated is a big jump from one phrase that was not mean the way it was taken.

***sorry to hijack the post***

Yes, to me spoiled and well treated are different horse terms.

Question here---did the owner tell you it was a stallion or are you assuming that as you saw the "body part"? Even geldings can "hang" down quite a bit when they are relaxed. Gelding removes the testicles.

The dog would likely get zapped once and then respect the fence.

Lvingin the country is wonderful---just also make sure you realize, depending on where you are living that there will be tractors running at all hours of the day and night during certain busy times, manure smells, maybe more flies, etc. These are the things that some people complain about but they are just a fact of living in a rural area.

I too agree that a spoiled horse may not be an ill behaved horse. My daughter's mare is spoiled rotten too but she knows her boundaries and she respects them. It kind of bothers me when people say she's spoiled. She deserves to be. This horse has brought my once timid rider to a rider who wins championships at horse shows. I will always spoil her because we love her and she's a member of our family. Yes, we hand feed her treats (and YES(!) we've been told more than once that it's "wrong"), yes, we let her rub on us when her face is shedding and itchy (and again, we've been told it's wrong) but what bothers me is this....just who are these people who tell me it's wrong? They're just other regular horse owners (like us), who don't happen to like it, but what, really makes it wrong? Back to the OP though, I too, noticed that your children were older and my first thought was I wouldn't hesitate because they are older and yes, I would stay away from the stud. Maybe the guy keeps them all together because all of the other horses are geldings. I also think that farmers who own horses, do things way differently than those of us who are not farmers, as horse owners.

I would not have any reservations about renting that house. Your children are all older. The dog you may need to train a bit more when you get to your new surroundings.

Jennie

Remudamom & others have already commented on the horses, and I agree with Remudamom; I wanted to bring attention to your dog, too.

Every longhaired dog we've had, an Aussie, and currently an Aussie/heeler and a Sheltie will go under an electric fence. We have cattle and the Aussie's were for cattle, the Sheltie is strictly a pet. All of these herding dogs will attempt to herd cattle, horses, sheep, etc. Without proper training, herding dogs can, and most likely will, end up harassing other animals. Very often, the way that is dealt with in the country is the three 'SSS' -- 'shoot', 'shovel', & 'shut up', especially if it becomes a habit of the dog.

Don't feed the horses unless asked, don't pet unless you've asked, do not leave the dog unattended outside, and have the owners number on speed dial. And this could be a very nice place to live.

Edited by OHGrandma

We've just got a different word usage here, or maybe not. I don't allow my horses to rub on me, I think it's a bad habit. If they rub on me they'll rub on little visitors, and that won't work. I'll give occasional treats though.

To me spoiled means bad behavior, to you it means well loved. All of mine are well cared for, some are well loved (my favs) but none are spoiled.

As to the dog, I'd watch it closely. If we saw a dog chasing our livestock (cattle, horses or my chickens, my cats even for that matter) we'd be within our country rights to shoot. However, our neighbor has a little beagle that comes over to our farmhouse down the road and once got into my chicken house and wreaked havoc. I didn't say anything because I know they would pen the poor thing up, and it would be unhappy. So my hens are penned up and they're unhappy. Ugh.

Edited by Remudamom

I would also be concerned about privacy. How close is the house to the barns/horses? Is the owner showing up early in the morning or late at night (or just about anytime they feel like) going to disrupt your way of living/sleep? What if they start bringing other people with them to see the horses? Or allow boarding of more horses (which would lead to more people coming around whenever they feel like it)? Are they going to come knocking on your door to use the bathroom? What is their method of disposing of the manure? How are the utilities divided? Does the barn and house have separate water and electricity?

We once rented a house temporarily while looking for a house to buy only to find the owner start building a garage right outside the back door. It got terribly annoying (and noisy) to find that man out there first thing every morning and late every night and all his free time in between his day job. :tongue_smilie:

Horses can be dangerous -- but so can almost anything. Learning more about the horses and how to care for them could be a great experience for your kids, but there are risks. Horses do bite and kick -- an e-acquaintances son was killed in a freak accident by a horse that kicked him in the stomach, rupturing internal organs. My sister had her arm broken while washing a young Belgian (draft horse!) when she was a teen. That said, my sister also had a great time showing, riding, and driving horses and would have said that the arm break was well worth it. It's mostly a question of what risks you're willing to take. I'd never let my dc ride ATVs or take up extreme sports, as I don't see any real benefits for the risks, but I'd be happy to live on a property with horses.

Well, guess what. The guy told us Saturday night he would definitely rent the house to us. This afternoon he called to say that he and his wife had changed their minds and were going to stay put until their house sells. We were expecting to set up an appointment to sign the lease.

Oh well.

We still have one house on the back burner that we can rent, but I am not thrilled about it. There are a few more we can look at.

Thanks for helping me.

RC

I too agree that a spoiled horse may not be an ill behaved horse. My daughter's mare is spoiled rotten too but she knows her boundaries and she respects them. It kind of bothers me when people say she's spoiled. She deserves to be. This horse has brought my once timid rider to a rider who wins championships at horse shows. I will always spoil her because we love her and she's a member of our family. Yes, we hand feed her treats (and YES(!) we've been told more than once that it's "wrong"), yes, we let her rub on us when her face is shedding and itchy (and again, we've been told it's wrong) but what bothers me is this....just who are these people who tell me it's wrong? They're just other regular horse owners (like us), who don't happen to like it, but what, really makes it wrong?

Ah... see, when I hear "spoiled" I think ill-behaved, and "pampered" = what you guys are talking about. ;) Just a difference in word usage.

I would think that most of the advice about no head pushing or letting the horse rub on you and no hand treats come from people who have seen those things evolve into dangerous horse behavior. Does that mean it's wrong for your horse? Not necessarily. You're the owner. You know your horse. In general, though, those things often do result in behavioral problems.

Can I get on a soapbox about a related issue here? (This is not directed at you, Journey... it just seems appropriate to mention here.) It's a terrible problem when a person decides to hand feed a horse without checking with the owner first. As we have seen here, some owners are fine with it, and some are definitely not. It's amazing how many people think it's perfectly ok to go visit a barn or horses along the road and hand feed them treats. Just. Don't. Do. It. Always check with the owners first.

Edited by Mekanamom

Despite the fact that I'm crazy about horses, this would not appeal to me.

I would consider the horses an attractive nuisance (if not to the kids, to myself! I couldn't stand to see them there and not get involved with them!) The three-year old Clydesdale stallion would concern me.

This could go either way. It could be a delightful experience or it could be a nightmare. Depends on luck, the owner's personality, the horses' horseanalities...many factors beyond your control. And I guess that's the bottom line: control. Right now I wouldn't want to be messing with a horse who I couldn't control. But when I was a child, this would have been my dream come true.

ETA: Oh, I see it's not going to happen. Oh well.