Menu

Question for Rod & Staff preschool series users.

I decided not to push it and go with MFW kindergarten program for prek. I ordered the R&S books and I like the way they look. But, because I'm weird.. I can't figure out *how* to use them. They are to be used one at a time I guess but what about the Bible book/coloring book? You use that slowly over the whole time, right? Are they meant to all be finished in a year or spread over two?

What else have you used with this, just reading good books or what for a 4 year old? I am not artsy but would love to have my dd do some kind of little art things.

Thanks!

I think that my dd(4) has two or three of the R&S books on the go. The Bible coloring one is the only one that is finished b/c I would hand it to her to give her something to do while I taught the others.

Other than the Bible coloring book, we started one at a time until we came to a concept that stumped her. We then set that one aside and would start another. We will go back and finish them. She is really enjoying the one about books right now.

HTH!

I am on child #4 and 5 to use them. I do A first, then C and D concurrently. I don't specifically teach B, just let them color. It takes us 4-5 months to get through them.

I am skipping the handwriting pages in D this time because we are using the HWOT K book at the same time.

I think that my dd(4) has two or three of the R&S books on the go. The Bible coloring one is the only one that is finished b/c I would hand it to her to give her something to do while I taught the others.

Other than the Bible coloring book, we started one at a time until we came to a concept that stumped her. We then set that one aside and would start another. We will go back and finish them. She is really enjoying the one about books right now.

HTH!

Ditto. Just go through one at a time. :)

I did R&S 2x a week with my 4yo. While I read her a Bible story, I let her color the picture that went with it. Then we went through the books in order, and just did as much as we felt like each day. Sometimes we would get stuck, and put the workbooks aside for awhile. We also used the book, "Sing! Play! Create!" for crafts and rhymes. The crafts were mostly using paper plates, but for some reason this was a big hit (as an example, there would be a craft making a rooster out of a paper plate, then a finger play about a rooster, then a song about a rooster...then another animal). You can probably find this book at your library.

I love the R&S series, and my dd and I had a really fun pre-k year.

What else have you used with this, just reading good books or what for a 4 year old? I am not artsy but would love to have my dd do some kind of little art things.

Thanks!

For good read alouds, look at Sonlight's Core PK 3/4. You don't need to buy the parent guide, just use it as a reading list. Another good option when your dd is a little older is Five in a Row, although I'd hold off on this until K because she will get more out of the science, literature and geography. Ambleside has a Year 0 booklist and Honey for a Child's Heart will also give you some good ideas. Of all of these options, we most enjoyed SL when the kids were 4 and FIAR when they were 5 and 6.

For art, check out Mary Ann Kohl's books. Most libraries will have a good selection and they're well thought out and fairly easy to implement.

My dd had just turned 4 when we started these last fall. We mostly did Letter of the Week activities (colored a letter sheet for her notebook, did the theme word cards and read books and learned the sign for the LOTW) the first day of the week. Then we reviewed that a couple of times each week and did a page or 2 in her R&S workbooks. She did not like the workbooks AT ALL earlier this year. For hearing good books, she has always been around for all of Odd's studies.

After the C one, the counting one, she has changed her tune a little. She really liked having a "math book" like her sister and learned a lot. We have done the Bible stories and coloring only sporadically, and I plan to finish it once a week over the summer and next school year. I bought a copy of the coloring book for my Odd as well. It is supposed to be spread out.

We have only finished A, C, and hopefully D by the end of the month for the whole year. So I plan to finish them the 1st semester of K, then move her into the first unit of R&S phonics 2nd semester of K (really K work IMO.) I will have her doing the R&S 1st math next year.

It seems like a funny schedule, but it worked for my ODD. She is finishing up R&S 1st grade phonics/reading and R&S 2nd grade math at the end of 1st, and will just move up a grade level a year now. But we spread the K and 1st stuff over preK, K, and 1st.

We have eased our way into kindergarten with some of these and my son loves them. We colored bible stories with his 2 yr old sister, and he did C because he wanted a math book. We've been doing F once or twice a week now. For art ideas, I love Preschool Art: It's the Process, not the Product by Mary Ann Kohl. It's recommended in LBC's foundation year and we do the activities with dd (2) as well.

We used these in Kindergarten and worked our way through each one. However, we did use the Bible stories alongside. There is a guide on the back as to the order they should be used.

It is:

Adventures with Books

Counting With Numbers

Do It Carefully

Everywhere We Go

Finding the Answers

We just divided up the number of activities by the number of days we were going to "do school" and that was the number of pages we did a day. If he couldn't sit still that long, we just did it the next day.

All of my kids loved these workbooks and it really helped with their fine motor skills, learning letters and numbers, colors, cutting skills, etc. Plus we had fun working on them together.

Have fun!

we used the r&s books and like them too. at the same time, we used the kumon workbooks and really like them although they are a whole lot more expensive. I actually laminated some of them page by page and have the kids use a wipe-off pen so we could use them again. But we really like the cutting one. the maze one is fun too. i noticed they have them at Target too. Here is a link.

http://www.kumonbooks.com/catalog/catalog_workbooks-preschool.aspx

I second someone's recommendation of the Sonlight preK read-alouds too. We really love them.

happy preK!

We did those with DD1 when she turned 4. We did them one at a time, although with DD2 I'll have her skip the handwriting since we're using something else.

They don't need a lot of instructions- they mostly seem to be cutting and pasting- and fun. :001_smile: