Menu

How does SWB feel about ...

MFW and FIAR?

I have been reading through the new version of TWTM, and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I know I have seen both of these mentioned quite a bit on the boards here, and was wondering how SWB feels about these programs - especially for the younger kids. How do you feel they fit in with the classical education model?

I am interested in these, but really want to follow a classical education plan. Any opinions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure about MFW, but I have seen FIAR addressed...maybe on the old boards. Here's my take on it. It is fabulous for preschool, K-4, K-5 and enrichment for older kids. I love it and continue to recommend it every chance I get for those levels. The creators of the curriculum, however, intend for this approach to be used through 3rd...or maybe even middle grades. While I'm sure older kids enjoy it and learn a lot from it, the classical approach requires something a little more systematic, I think.

I noticed when I frequented the FIAR boards (which I don't do at the moment since A. I've used all of the books and have a pretty good handle on what I need to do and B. I'm not at the moment utilizing FIAR) that there was a little bit of, well, friction between FIAR advocates and classical educators, in that direction. I didn't ever see outright unpleasantness, but generally Classical was frowned upon.

Once again, I LOVE FIAR for the early years. It's delightful. But chronological history, systematic rather than incidental learning, rigorous emphasis on the three Rs are more appropriate for older students.

Here's my take on it. It is fabulous for preschool, K-4, K-5 and enrichment for older kids. I love it and continue to recommend it every chance I get for those levels.

Once again, I LOVE FIAR for the early years. It's delightful. But chronological history, systematic rather than incidental learning, rigorous emphasis on the three Rs are more appropriate for older students.

That's what I was looking at FIAR for ... my youngest (a very mature 3) is ready for a bit of structure this fall, and I was thinking of using this for a preK type program for her.

I don't know that FIAR fits into the classical model. That doesn't mean that it's a bad program.

Personally, I've never used it. I'm not a fan of unit studies, and I prefer to be more methodical in our instruction. They do select some wonderful books, and I appreciate the emphasis on reading quality stories with littles.

But I don't think it can be considered part of the classical model.

Note: this is just my opinion. I don't remember if SWB has ever posted a review of the program. (Remember the reviews she used to post?)

We use FIAR. I like it a lot but I wouldn't consider it at all classical. It's a literature based unit-study approach. Similar to the previous poster, I think it's great for kindergarten and preschool. We've used it for the past 1 1/2 yrs (this year was kindergarten for ds) and it's been a great fun flexible curriculum. I do frequent the FIAR boards and know a lot of people there use it for much older kids. For us personally, I don't think that would be a good fit. I plan on switching in 1st grade to a classical approach.

WTM doesn't really address "kindergarten" much except to say you can use it as a time to teach phonics and reading. I think anything at this age is kind of icing on the cake. I use FIAR as something fun and to give us a bit of structure and I think it's perfect for this age. I plan on using Before FIAR next year with my son who will be 3 and using FIAR again with him for K4 and K5.

I have no idea what SWB thinks of MFW. But MFW does use Story of the World vol. 2, 3, and 4 and even the activity guide for volume 4.

If it is MFW and classical that interests you, you might consider listening to MFW's convention workshop on Classical Education in the 21st century. The MFW office sells that CD, or you can buy it from places like Rhino Technologies. Here's some ordering info

rhino tech.

-crystal

Five In A Row (FIAR) is it is a unit study. It is definitely not classical.

I did it with my sons in Kindergarten and First grade. I probably should have done another year, but I did not. I went classical and now I am Charlotte Mason/classical.

I love the books. These books are so rich in some many ways. The books are excellent in writing, drawings, history. It is just an abundance of that every child in Kindergarten and First grade should know. Every child should have read these quality books like Story of Ping, Blueberries for Sal, etc.

My sons did Before Five In A Row at ages 3 and 4 years old. Then they did FIAR from ages 5-7 years old.

My eleven year old still remembers what Blueberries for Sal was about. My nine year old remembers A Chair for My Mother and the Red Coat. That says something!

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolingblogger.com/testimony

We borrow BFIAR and FIAR regularly from our library, so I have not purchased it. We simply have used (some of) the books on the lists as our "literature" component. That is, we just read the books on the lists! :001_smile:

We don't do anything else in the FIAR way, as a unit study, but I do think that the book list is a nice place to start a child on quality picture books. Also, I think that the resource/parent section in the back of the book is valuable for a beginner. Finally, I think that the concept of reading and re-reading and re-reading (!) a quality book is a good one, and a good reminder to parents that this repetition IS a part of the enjoyment of books, especially for young children.

When we cross a bridge my daughter (4.5) still says, "We're crossing the little bridge, Mommy, just like Ping." So the characters in the stories become "friends" for your little ones. It's wonderful to use the lists -- along with other good lists out there -- as a starting point for reading picture books. If you are interested, check out Classical Christian Education Support Loop's List of 1000 Good Books, organized by reading level. HTH.

I think that FIAR and MFW early years are both a great introduction to any method of schooling in the upper years. They both lay a really nice foundation, even if you decide to switch to classical later. Which, btw, MFW does. ;)

I'm surprised, though, that SWB hasn't reviewed MFW since it's discussed on this board so much.

when my now 15 year old was 4...we used FAIR. I actually liked it for that age. we enjoyed the books and the couch time together. the only negative is that my son did NOT want to hear the same story 5x or even 2x....He liked to move on.

I think its fine for a 3 year old. but I'd ditch it by 1st grade at the latest. JMHO.:auto:

We used/are using FIAR this year and Ariel has really enjoyed it. I don't know how much she has really retained, but her knowledge crops up at odd times. (Today at the grocery store I was walking down the baby aisle and she said "It's Peter Rabbit!" sure enough, one of the brands of formula had a Beatrix Potter illustration of Peter Rabbit on it.) She enjoys rereading the stories, but I think educationally she has gotten more from MBTP. It's a wonderful, gentle introduction to "school," I just would not use it past 2nd grade (and then primarily as a supplement), at the maximum, probably not past 1st.

I'm still trying to decide if we are going to "rerow" the books next year alongside SOTW, or call it done once we finish volume 3. The art lessons, IMO, are nice.

I used FIAR when ds was in 1st and dd was in PK. We had a great year and the kids developed a love of books and curiousity about the world because of our FIAR experience. We also used SL's PK and K cores, but FIAR was our favorite. Now that we've moved on to SL Core 1/2 I look back on our FIAR days fondly. I wouldn't use it exclusively now, but I think I may have to finish up the 7 books we have left this summer. I think it was just a matter of the right curriculum at the right time in our hs journey.

IMHO, FIAR makes a very good curriculum for the year before you start your history and science cycles. If you have two dc to combine, it is enough for a first grader with a close in age younger sibling you want to school together.

I used FIAR when my 2nd dd was in K and some of first grade. We really liked the books. We have some terrific memories and I'm glad we did it. I am a little sad that I wasn't able to do as much of it as I hoped to. I found juggling a full WTM schedule with a 2nd grader and doing phonics and then FIAR was busy for me. (I was also babysitting at the time).

I can see using FIAR in the early elementary years for lit. study. They introduce terms like foreshadowing, similie, metaphor that a child in K won't really understand-at least mine didn't.:D I would personally want something more systematic for history. I was sad when I sold mine 2 months ago. We;) have such happy memories.

I was wondering if SWB talked about MFW in the newest revision of WTM.

Also, cbollin (or others), can you tell me the gist of MFW's workshop on "Classical Education in the 21st century"?

Crystal (& others) reviewed that CD here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3234#p29228

Maybe that'll help, in case she's off on some Mother's Day jaunt.

I've heard that talk, too, but it's been a while so I don't want to mis-state it. But as I recall, David Hazell was going back to what the original classic educators had in mind -- what the different models were -- and how their goals and methods would look if they were schooling today? And also maybe how that fits into our goals as a Christian? Kinda generalized, I know. I'd better listen to some of those again, eh?!

Julie

Well, MFW is most definitely CM, not classical, and SWB has reviewed CM.

In addition, has she reviewed history programs other than her own? I didn't think she had? What did I miss?

I disagree that MFW is not classical or perhaps you are saying that it is not all classical? :glare: I use it and I am much more classical than I am CM.

MFW as a whole is CM. They have a book about CM methods as part of their K package.

You can use parts of it (history) and still be classical, but it is not designed specifically for the classical homeschooler.

Since most classical schools would be using the history portion of MFW I mentioned that I have not seen SWB review any curriculum for history, nor have I seen her review or recommend a curriculum or curriculum company for all subjects. But, I may have missed it. :)

I would agree that their K - 2nd grade programs are more CM than classical but the 5 year cycle is decidedly more classical. I was a classical home schooler before I was with MFW and having used it K - 6th with a classical mindset it has worked beautifully. This of course is separate from their LA suggestion which are more CM than classical but those are suggestions not part of the curriculum package.

I would agree that their K - 2nd grade programs are more CM than classical but the 5 year cycle is decidedly more classical. I was a classical home schooler before I was with MFW and having used it K - 6th with a classical mindset it has worked beautifully. This of course is separate from their LA suggestion which are more CM than classical but those are suggestions not part of the curriculum package.
Yep! ;)