Menu

Anyone know any child-walkable caves in the West?

Our route is Eastern WA over and down to Yellowstone, south to Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, south, possibly via Denver, to Pueblo, SW into AZ and Sonoma and then up to the Grand Canyon. We may go N through Utah, or west and up into SE Ore via Nevada and then home.

We are looking for geological wonders. I started googling caves, but the choice is a bit dizzying and I wondered if any here just knew by experience what a 7 year old would enjoy, be capable of doing, and learn something. He is not a fearful child and would be going with a fit, non-fearful grown up.

Here are caves in that area that I went to as a child and/or with my own children:

Lehman Caves (Nevada) If I'm remembering correctly, this cave was home to parties in the 1920s.

Timpanogos Cave (Utah) is steep hike to get to the entrance, but doable if you take a few breaks. It's less than 2 miles, I think, but very steep. Bring your own water. Within half an hour's drive there's a big dinosaur museum.

Mesa Verde cliff dwellings (Native American homes built into caves on the sides of cliffs). I thought this was really neat as a kid.

Carlsbad Caverns and Jewel Cave made the biggest impression on me, but New Mexico and South Dakota are a bit of a drive. ;)

If you want geological wonders, you have to visit Goblin Valley, Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, and Zion (all in southern Utah). If you've seen the movie Galaxy Quest, the scene with the little miner goblin guys was filmed at Goblin Valley. :)

Have fun!

I was going to suggest every single one of the places Veritaserum linked to. So just read her post again. They're all great.

And if you're looking for geological wonders, pick up Scott Bryan's The Geyers of Yellowstone. There are other books about geysers, but Bryan knows his stuff. You might into him at the park too, if you see more geysers than just Old Faithful.

I don't know if this will intersect your route well enough, but Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho is AWESOME! It has a small visitors' center with a working seismograph of the activity in the area, a short video, some stuffed animal displays, a gift shop, etc. The best part, however, are the caves (formed by volcanic activity). I don't know when you're going, but if it's before July you would want to be sure to check the reports to make sure everything is open, as there is sometimes snow as late as June. In the middle of July, you will be walking around in 95 degree weather then enter a cave of ice! It has one big open cave (Indian Cave) with stairs and a clear walkway that is accessible to practically everyone, but the others are much more fun to explore, especially Boy Scout Cave. I think an average 7 year old should be able to handle all of them. You definitely want to bring:

flashlights

hats

water

t-shirt with long-sleeved shirt over it (for in the caves--they can be cold!)

Here is the main website: http://www.nps.gov/crmo/

Here are descriptions of the individual caves: http://www.nps.gov/archive/crmo/cavetrail.htm

I agree with Amira and Veritaserum. Those are all great attractions. I'm partial to Bryce Canyon myself. Also if you're driving north on I-15 in southern Utah, DO take the turnoff for Kolob Canyon. It's the very NE tip of Zion Nat'l Park, but not connected to the rest of it at all. It's just a 5 mile or so drive off the freeway and one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been.

I highly recommend Lehman Caves. We were there last year with our 7, 5, and 3 yos. They do 60 and 90-minute tours. We had to take the 60-minute because we had an under 5yo.

We did the one near Provo a couple of times with little ones, including one in a backpack -- the pack had to be carried though, through the tight spots. (Adults crouch a little, turn sideways, your punkin would fit nicely through.) Why can't I remember the name of it now? It was *awesome.* Lots of variation, good guides. It's a hike, for sure, but really, really cool. Timpanogos Caves. That's it. Very cool.

Your trip sounds lovely!

A-yup. We are going in the fall, but I am trying hard to get hubby's youngest daughter to meet us for dinner Friday night, so hubby can meet his grandkids. Now that she sends us photos and updates, I'm sloooooowly working up to a meal. Or at least dropping off presents at a neutral place. Sneaky me might make that something so alluring and yet bulky, it has to be dropped off at her house. :D

That means getting out of town and hurrying straight east to get there at a decent hour. I will see how the schedule is coming back. That might be do-able.

Coming to the conference this year? Bringing along a non-whacko friend?

Our route is Eastern WA over and down to Yellowstone, south to Dinosaur Nat'l Monument, south, possibly via Denver, to Pueblo, SW into AZ and Sonoma and then up to the Grand Canyon. We may go N through Utah, or west and up into SE Ore via Nevada and then home.

We are looking for geological wonders. I started googling caves, but the choice is a bit dizzying and I wondered if any here just knew by experience what a 7 year old would enjoy, be capable of doing, and learn something. He is not a fearful child and would be going with a fit, non-fearful grown up.

My kids & I really enjoyed Colossal Cave in Tucson.