Menu

Any advice re painting paneling?

We used water based primer, two or three coats I think. After that there was still a few troublesome stains so I bought the spray that is not waterproof and that covered them. Then I painted. I really liked it. It's been many, many years. I would hope that the primers are even better now.

And it looks terrific. It was so easy (I helped her). She got the wallpaper at Lowe's (don't know the name of it, but they will) and all you do is tear a piece--literally tear it off the roll--dip it in water, and smooth onto paneling. Be sure not to push too hard when smoothing as to show the lines in the paneling.

The idea with this wallpaper is that the oddly torn pieces make the whole wall look a bit marbleized. She used an off-white color on top and a contrast light brown below separated by a chair rail. It is really great looking.

The whole thing was much quicker and cheaper than painting. If I had a picture of it on this computer, I'd post it.

Just a thought, especially if you don't want to paint.

DO IT!

Prime and paint. You'll love having a lighter, brighter room.

:iagree:

We lived in a mobile home with dark paneling. I found myself spending way too much time at my grandparents house, especially in the winter. I finally convinced my husband that we had to paint for my sanity! It was great!:D

I have literally just set my roller down from painting my kitchen paneling to come check my email. LOL!

I have painted my entire house interior - all paneling. All but the kitchen was done five years ago. Today, I am finishing the kitchen - FINALLY!

I lightly sanded - just give it a tooth, a once over with a sanding block. Then wash with TSP or some other cleaner. I used a degreaser sinse its the kitchen and then rinsed with water. Then prime - now days, you only really need one coat. Its okay if the paneling shows through the primer. Then paint. I am painting a pale yellow. My paneling was dark. I used ONE coat of primer and only 2 coats of paint. It looks fantastic. I love it. I actaully like painted paneling better then a plain drywall wall.

If it's real wood paneling, I wouldn't paint it -- but if it's the crummy looking fake stuff, I'd go for cleaning it, sanding down any gloss, and putting on a couple of layers of VOC-free or low-VOC latex paint.

Just because its real doesn't mean its special! (name that decorator). I painted real wood paneling in myh 1950s ranch....It turned out great and I never regretted it.

We have dark paneling in our TV room' date=' left over I think from the 70s. I really want to paint it to lighten up the room. My dh doesn't think there's anyone to do it and have it look good.

Anyone with experience with this?[/quote']

We painted the paneling that is in our bedroom. I simply covered it with a good primer and then painted. That has been 5 yrs ago and it has held up great.

Yes painting the paneling can be done and you will love it. We did it in a house we once lived in. Prep work is real important. We sanded and cleaned, then we also caulked all the joints. Then apply primer and allow to dry between coats. Then it's painting time! :)

We like the KILZ primer. We scrubbed the paneling thoroughly, and then very lightly sanded it. I think we used two coats of primer, and the paint went on fairly easily after that.

This is precisely the technique I use. We have paneling in nearly every single room in our house, and I'm slowly getting it all painted. So far I've done the dining room, the hall, and my daughter's room, and they all look fabulous.

Killz primer it first. If there are smokers in the house or if the wood has been oiled then its especially important to prime it first as the oil in wood oil and nicotine will come through the paint as spots.

Caulk the seams in between the panels. They show up as black lines, so caulk them. Also caulk between the trim and the paneling around the bottom perimeter.

It will look great.

TINT your primer! Often old paneling soaks up the paint.... but if you get paint center to add tint to your primer (use paint swatch you will use for the paint), it is cheaper and helps the paint look better.

White primer works, but requires more coats of paint. Tint the primer (cheaper by the gallong) and cut out a possible extra coat of paint.

Remember, dark rich colors often require more coats.

BTW... painted paneling is nicer than 70s paneling..... been there! Best of luck!

We lived in a 70's mobile home for 12 years before buying our home, and painted the whole thing. It was all dark paneling.

1. Sand first.

2. Go over the dark lines in between paneling sheets with Kilz

3. One to two coats of Kilz

4. One to two coats of paint - we used satin and it came out really nice

5. May want to put on a topcoat to keep it from chipping. We didn't and had some chipping.

Sorry-I didn't take the time to read all the posts. I did this to the paneling that was popular in the 80s (ie fake not real).

Talk to your paint store-you need a good sealing primer (to stop bleed through of the stain), possibly more than one coat, followed by at least 2 coats of paint.

I painted mine a off-white. It looked great and lightened up the room by magnitudes. You can't always get rid of the knots unless you fill and sand.

I like the look but it will look like painted paneling.

First off, there are special primers made for paneling. I used one and did not bother with sanding or caulking. I did wipe down the walls with a wet rag though to clean the dust.

I think I ended up using one coat of primer and two of pale yellow paint. It looks SO much better now; I wish I'd painted the paneling in our basement eons ago.