Menu

Would this be strange?

So.....I'm cleaning out the house getting ready to move, and there are many things that would bring several dollars on craigslist or in a yardsale....I don't really have much time to price things out/pull together a yard sale or to list each thing individually on CL, so would it be odd to advertise for a yardsale and then just have people make me an offer on things? I mean, as long as they are not offering $.25 for a pack-n-play that is in good condition, I'd go for it. I was planning on just sending everything to Goodwill or the store at the seminary, but I keep looking at that pile and seeing dollars....dollars for Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, Minimus, shorts for the kiddos, etc, etc, etc.... What do you guys think?:lurk5:

I've been to some that are like that, but I never buy anything. I am uncomfortable naming a price like that.

If you check around, you can buy price stickers for yard sales. They have a lot of the common prices (like 50 cents) and some blank ones you can fill in. I can't remember where I bought some of those, maybe Wal-mart.

personally if I see a sale without price tags I tend to be kind of suspicious that the owner is going to look at my shoe quality to set an asking price, or something like that.

Can you do 'table prices' or 'category prices' as in

Hard cover fiction: $2

Paper back fiction: $.75

Dishes: small--$2, medium--$3, large--$4.50

Clothes: $3

And then you just have to price the 'special' stuff, like curriculum and lamps.

Those sales don't do well here either. My neighbor had one that was a disaster. The next time she did a bag sale - fill a plastic grocery bag and it is just $5 for everything you can put in it. If you only wanted one item, she generally asked $1 for it so she didn't have to mess with coins. She then priced the big items that would not fit in the bag (baby swing, recliner, ottoman etc ) individually. Since there were fewer of those, the pricing didn't take long. She sold out of almost everything and made a decent chunk of money.

I've also seen people set up tables by price--one for 50 cent items, another for a dollar. Then they just put price tags on the more expensive items. You'll probably get some cheating, but it might be worth it to cut down on your time.

I love garage sales! I am actually a bit put off by people who put too much time and energy into organizing their junk. Get up early on a Saturday and put it all out on the driveway. Put up some signs around the neighborhood and do the "price sheet" on a piece of cardboard. People always like to rummage through your stuff and feel like they are getting a deal. Close shop at 10:30 or so, bag up the leftovers and take it to Goodwill. If it didn't sell the first day, its unlikely to sell the next day.

I hate it when there are no prices on items, too. I know it sounds weird, but if I ask about a price and it's way too high, I feel a little awkward putting the item back down on the table and walking away, especially if the seller is very friendly.

Don't get me wrong -- I'll put the item back (or offer less, if I really want it,) but I'm a lot more likely to buy things when the price tag is visible. It's uncomfortable to ask the prices of more than a few things.

When I go to a sale and there are no prices on the items, I usually assume the prices will be on the high side. Also, we were at one sale and my ds overheard the sellers talking, and one of them commented to the other that we drove a nice car, so we could afford to pay extra for things. (We didn't buy anything -- I thought the seller seemed like a weasel after ds told me what she'd said.)

Cat

I've had garage sales sort of like this. I do place a sign saying all clothes are $.50 or a $1.00, Toys $.25 or $.50, but other than this I will let people ask "how much, for this?". I always sale most everything. When they see cheap prices on some of the things, they are not shy about haggling. Personally I love garage sales like this, because it means they are more flexible on price. Someone who has everything marked, seems to be more set on their pricing, and I garage sale a LOT.

Personally, I think that quickly pricing items is much easier than answering "how much -?" a hundred times!

Homeschool items are not likely to go for much at a yard sale, unless you have a lot of them and advertise accordingly. Your random person wandering up to a garage sale is not going to want Greek Code Cracker or Miniumus, kwim? So I'd list those here, or again, if you have lots of hs items, have a hs yard sale.

I'm one of those who just walk away from unpriced items; some people love it, some hate it.

First off, I'm not SELLING Alphabet Code Cracker or Minimus -- I'm thinking I could use yard sale money to purchase them! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. I just got back from WalMart with my package of pre-printed stickers. I'll just let it be known that best offers are welcome also.

Ugh. Moving. Packing. Yard Sale. I'm tired, guys!!! :tongue_smilie: