Menu

Buying a new mattress--memory foam or conventional? Anyone have any shopping tips?

Our current mattress is over 10 years old. The stores around us are having big sales, so I'm thinking now would be a good time to shop for a new one, but I've never really shopped for one before. Are there considerations besides general comfort? I would lovelovelove a Tempur-pedic mattress (I can't live without my neck pillow), but that's a big expenditure, and I'm afraid it wouldn't live up to my expectations. Does anyone have one? Love it? Hate it? Are other memory foam options just as good?

I would appreciate any mattress shopping suggestions anyone can share.

Thank you!

I used to sell furniture and mattresses and here's a couple of pointers.

If you're going for a conventional mattress get one with individually wrapped springs and foam on the edges. When you sit on one with the foam on the edges vs. one without, you'll be able to tell a big difference. The foam on the edges allows you to sleep all the way to the edge and also sit on the edge without it collapsing and you sliding off.

The firmness of the mattress is a matter of personal comfort, but if you like your mattress soft, go with either a pillow top or a memory foam. The memory foam mattresses are wonderful, but pricey. They don't have springs so if you're interested in avoiding springs, that's the way to go.

I wouldn't go top of the line if it's a financial stress but maybe just under the top and you can still find a really nice mattress. hth!

I have a king-size Deluxe Tempur-pedic mattress. I love it. I can sleep on my back without feeling pain in my lower back. I can sleep on my side without feeling pain in my shoulder. There are many different kinds of Tempur-pedic mattresses - some more luxurious, some more firm and dense. The mattress is deceivingly squishy if you just sit on the edge or press your hand into it. It is really quite firm, yet conforming, and is always supporting no matter which position you sleep. It's best to spend some time lying on the mattresses in the store to decide which style is right for you.

I think Sealy also has a foam mattress and may be less expensive than the Tempur-pedic.

We've had a Tempurpedic for two years and we love it! Best money we ever spent!

I second Tempurpedic. We love ours. I can not wait to go to bed every night. It is wonderful.

Just as a side-note, We HATED the Sleep Number beds. They felt like an air mattress propped on a conventional one. When adjusting the #, it sounded like a generator firing up. That was the worst bed I ever slept on.

2) I've heard the memory foam style mattresses can really hold in the heat so that it is hard to be cool at night...is this true?

We've had no problems at all with keeping cool. And we also have not had problems with "getting stuck" and having a hard time rolling over.

We chose it over the Tempurpedic ones.

It really helps me sleep--since I have major back issues.

It does not get 'hot' and it springs back much faster than the Tempurpedic--I HATE sleeping in a crater if I need to roll over.

I think it depends on what quality or type of Tempurpedic foam the bed is made from. Ours never leaves a crater and springs back right away. It conforms to the body wonderfully.

DH and I have two tempur mattress pads on top of a high quality spring mattress. When DH first got his I hated it. The wierd factor was quite high for me.

Then I came down with a bad case of influenza that turned into pneumonia, and I ached constantly. DH's mattress pads made sleep possible. I was comfortable no matter which way I laid.

Two years later, and we're both happy. No issues with getting too hot at night, which would be a deal-breaker for me.

If you're anywhere near an IKEA, I'd check out their beds. We got the whole kit and kaboodle for a king sized bed for around $600 (not just mattress but everything), and we think it's more comfy than those beds you need to take out a loan for. They have several different mattress types you can try out.

Temperpedic is an investment, but for us it was worth every penny. I used to wake up with a sore back and hips every morning. With our new (now 3yr old) matress, I have never been sore. It is, by far, the most comfortable bed I have ever owned. When we bought our matress, the Temperpedic never went on sale; I don't know if that is still true. You should be able to work other deals with the furniture company though--have them throw in something with the matress or get better financing.

My mom's "foamish" bed was one you could try for 90 days...they did and before the 90 days...she sent it back. I kinda thought I would have liked it!

The bed I think I want is a rubber one....you can choose synthetic.....natural....or a mix. My very natural friend got one...and she loves it. She picked three layers or the rubber..then you put a cover over the whole thing....And, I'd want a wool cover placed on that. (Because wool is great for body liquids....urine....(ugh ...kids) sweat.....ect.... Then you can either wash...or let the wool pad air....) I've also looked at the wool mattresses because they are naturally flame retardant and I don't need any extra chemicals in my house.

Carrie

We love our Temperpedic. We bought it around January and I am thankful for it every morning. :) It's been worth the price.

My concerns before buying were how would it feel when I changed positions. Would there be awkward seconds waiting for the foam to change its memory? :) No. It's smooth and comfortable. My mattress was pretty firm when I bought it and it's still firm but it really softens after a couple of weeks. The support is just right.

I was also concerned about it being hot. We live in the south and it gets really hot already this time of year. Also, my house doesn't cool very well. I've noticed no problems with it at all.

I was really hesitant about the Temperpedic but I recommend it to everyone now. After the pillow topper Serta we had before I'm SOOO happy! :)

P.S. By the way, my comfort problem was my hips. I'm mostly a side sleeper and my hips were screaming during the night. I was flipping back and forth between them trying to sleep. If I lay all night on one side now I might feel a twinge when I wake up but no big deal. My 38 yr old husband was waking up complaining about feeling like an old man. He ached everywhere and it was pitiful. It's great now. (I sound like a commercial. I really don't mean to and I'm not a paid celebrity... LOLOL!!) ;)

Edited by PinkInTheBlue