Menu

Just a FYI-Ventilate rooms before cleaning up broken CFLs.....

Dd's crazy cat knocked over her reading lamp this weekend, breaking the CFL. Recalling a thread on this board regarding these bulbs, I quickly looked up how to clean these up. Apparently the room needs to be ventilated for 15 minutes as a precaution, before clean up is attempted, to clear out the mercury vapor. If the bulb breaks on carpet, the carpet needs to be cut out and thrown out.

Nobody I know has heard about these clean up recommendations. It looks like regular bulbs won't be available after 2012 either.

Sometimes I feel like...what planet am I on?

Does this take anyone else by surprise?

I've definitely heard this too. It makes me angry that we can't have a choice of what kind of light bulbs we want to use. I like the CFL's in our basement (even though I'm afraid of when one gets broken), but I hate them upstairs. Walmart seems to have quit making it's cheaper version of regular light bulbs so I if I stock up then it would be the more expensive bulbs.

On the side, has anyone noticed all the new "watt" level of bulbs? i.e. 57 watts, etc. not just the usual 40, 60, 120. I'm actually not sure if those are the regular bulbs or CFL. I never know what to buy anymore. Sorry about the rant:D

New CFL bulbs offgas something fierce, too, if stored in a closed container...something we discovered by accident. :glare:

I don't care how efficient these bulbs are purported to be. I'm not convinced that the mercury in CFLs is safer for the environment (and its inhabitants) than inefficient incandescent bulbs. :rolleyes:

Dd's crazy cat knocked over her reading lamp this weekend, breaking the CFL. Recalling a thread on this board regarding these bulbs, I quickly looked up how to clean these up. Apparently the room needs to be ventilated for 15 minutes as a precaution, before clean up is attempted, to clear out the mercury vapor. If the bulb breaks on carpet, the carpet needs to be cut out and thrown out.

Nobody I know has heard about these clean up recommendations. It looks like regular bulbs won't be available after 2012 either.

Sometimes I feel like...what planet am I on?

Does this take anyone else by surprise?

My mom was furious when one of these broke. She had a big mess getting all the mercury up from a tiled floor. I'd be really angry if I broke one in a kid's room on carpetting or other fabrics. What if you don't get it all up?

I'm wondering what kind of warnings they'll have in a couple of years for all the inadvertent hazards and exposure created by these bulbs....that we don't know about now...you know, exposure in your home, disposal in the environment, etc.

When we moved back to the US and saw these bulbs I had asked several neighbors where to dispose of them. I asked the landlord, the cashiers in the stores that sell them and random people standing in the aisles where these are sold.

Without exception, everyone told me to dump them in the regular trash.

Now, doesn't that make you feel comforted?

:001_huh:

It is terribly awful how the CFL's have been advertised as better for the environment, when all the mercury is so not good. And what about what it can do to kids?!? I am so afraid of one breaking since my kids are young.

On the other hand, my dad says when he was a kid, they played with mercury and it hasn't caused any harm. I wonder just how much exposure it takes to harm a child?

When we moved back to the US and saw these bulbs I had asked several neighbors where to dispose of them. I asked the landlord, the cashiers in the stores that sell them and random people standing in the aisles where these are sold.

Without exception, everyone told me to dump them in the regular trash.

Now, doesn't that make you feel comforted?

:001_huh:

Yes, you know good and well people will toss them in the trash, and they will burn in incinerators every day. Most people will not go through all the trouble to "find a recycling site" that takes them.

Why in the WORLD do they sell bulbs that, if they break, you use a vaccuum and then have to immediately discard the bag in a plastic bag. Yeah, I want that kind of bio-hazard in my home. UGH!

I thought I had read somewhere that plastic bags don't contain the mercury vapor-it goes right through it. I did also read, repeatedly, to cut the carpet out because it would be irreversibly contaminated and studies had shown that after the spot had been cleaned and there was no sign of the breakage, that in that immediate area mercury levels remained elevated for a span of time-I can't remember how long.

There's also the story ( I think I read about it on The Mercury Project site) about a 23 month old baby who played on the floor of a shed where a box of 8' bulbs had broken...it had all been cleaned up and of course thoroughly aired out-but the child still came down w/mercury poisoning. I'll post the link to that story when I find it as well.

Infuriating stuff, I'm having another "I'm mad as hell....(from The Network)" moment!!

Edited by Julpost

There are bumper stickers that say, "I'm pro-choice on light bulbs." That expresses my sentiments exactly. It's the problem with the govt micromanaging everything. I am not happy about the burdensome clean-up requirements for the rather common event of a broken bulb and also am concerned about the environmental impact of the mercury.

OTOH, I remember playing with balls of mercury as a kid when a thermometer broke. Maybe that's what's wrong with me!

Home depot now offers a can or something at their stores to recycle the bulbs from what I've heard.

I heard a story a couple years back about a woman breaking one of these bulbs and hazmat had to come in a clean it up. I really don't like them, but what are you to do. I like the idea of stocking up on the old type bulbs. Will have to start doing that.

If the bulb breaks on carpet, the carpet needs to be cut out and thrown out.

Totally untrue. Sounds like the Fox news story.

When I thought they were really dangerous, and two of them broke in my kitchen, I had a guy from the EPA come over. A good friend's husband is a project manager for them.....he was over within 30 minutes. There was no measurable mercury in the area and I'd done nothing to ventilate.

I think the concern is blown out of proportion. The only serious issue is disposal. The trash isn't the place for them.

:)

Katherine

I'll go to candles and oil lamps before using those @#$% bulbs! :cursing:

They give off the ugliest light. SO not homey - at. all.

I've been stockpiling regular incandescent bulbs.

Me too. I pick up a few boxes every time I head to the store.

I've wondered about the odd wattage numbers, though. Why have they changed?

I've had four break. There is no mess.

Katherine

Good for you. I've had them break and there was a huge mess. Apparently we have different experiences and opinions.

I can't bring myself to buy them- mercury, the disposal, the risk of breakage around small children. I'm staying old school and hoping the law will be repealed.

Jo