Menu

Character Training for boys

Marsha

Bob Schultz has 3 wonderful books for boys, they are a great read aloud with scripture and thought-filled questions at the end of every short chapter.

My ds is on the last book in the series, we both love them!

Boyhood and Beyond

Created for Work

Practical Happiness

Which would be best to start with? What is a good order to read them in?

Also, is it better read out loud together, ot give it to him and let him read it?

Thanks

This is just my opinion, but I believe that character training for boys should come from their dads as much as possible. In my mind, character training is about teaching a boy to be a man, and, well, as a woman, I have not the qualifications for doing so!

My dh and ds do these orally together.

I hope my post isn't offensive to you. I admire the fact that you want to incorporate character training into your home school!

This is just my opinion, but I believe that character training for boys should come from their dads as much as possible. In my mind, character training is about teaching a boy to be a man, and, well, as a woman, I have not the qualifications for doing so!

I agree but if there is no father we single mother's have no choice!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

The Boy Scouts of America - Cub Scouts for elementary and Boy Scouts for Middle and High. Best stuff I've ever seen. These programs are very intentional about teaching values through hands on activities.

Scout Oath (or Promise)

On my honor I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country

and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong,

mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,

courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,

brave, clean, and reverent.

http://www.scouting.org/

I agree about the scouts BUT only if you have a pack/troop that holds the boys accountable to those oaths. We have been in scouting for several years now, DH has been leading a den and we have seen so much "looked over"...it's VERY frustrating.

We are at the point of pulling both boys from scouts because the negatives are beginning to outweigh the positives.

I don't want this to discourage anyone but just chose a pack with strong, loyal bunch of leaders.

Debbie

I'll also throw a vote in for Boyhood and Beyond. I prefer this to Plants Grown Up for several reasons: 1) Plants provides a list of suggestions for studying each character trait. I prefer the chapter/story and discussion method provided in Boyhood. I just think it works better (at least until about junior high). 2) Price! 3) Realistically (related to #1), it will just be more likely to get done with Boyhood because it's not an intense Bible study on a trait. You can sit and read an anecdote and discuss the few questions at the end of the chapter. It's a lot smaller to tote around out on a "let's talk manhood" date. (It's nice to make this a special treat.)

For a workbook style (or for kids older than mine), I prefer Maldaner's Christian Manhood. I haven't done an in-depth comparison of CM and Plants (I just bought CM), but I made the decision looking at both samples online and comparing the Table of Contents for each (and price). I think CM is more useful to me than Plants because I think it's easier for me to come up with something like Plants than something like CM, I think CM's method is more effective, and CM is much cheaper. (Plants also refers you to other sources that you'd have to buy, including their own For Instruction in Righteousness and Maldaner's Christian Character.)

For a Bible study on certain traits/habits, you could use Doorposts' For Instruction in Righteousness. I much prefer this to Proverbs for Parenting. That book was a dud for me.

I wouldn't reject Plants if someone gave me a copy free (heh-heh; any offers?) and I'd consider purchasing it much later at a deep sale price.

THANKS to Ruth for letting me know that there's a third book by Schultz! I'll have to check it out.

I'm looking at their books for my girls and she has several for boys too. I think they can be completed independently or together.

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

An Honorable Boy - A Bible Study for Elementary Aged Boys

Increasing In Wisdom

Equipping Our Sons to be Heads of Their Homes

Young Men Of Valor

Preparing for Spiritual Leadership: A Bible-Based Study for Young Men

Copywork for Boys

Or how about Beautiful Feet Teaching Character through Literature? We love BF guides.

http://www.bfbooks.com/s.nl/it.A/id.288/.f?sc=1&category=671

I agree but if there is no father we single mother's have no choice!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

exactly. I just bought created for work, and boyhood & beyond and look forward to using them with my ds. I am also thinking of getting pearables lessons in responsibilty next year (they are like the home ec series we use)

these are all such great suggestions. I especially love DoorPosts materials. And what a great idea to incorporate Book of Virtues with writing. I am going to also try to implement a little more character training with my son. Also, have any of you heard of Lamplighter Publishing? Mark Hamby is the one who founded this co. and he publishes old stories full of virtuous morals. I took a look at his books at the Midwest Homeschool Convention and I really liked the look of them. His website is www.lamplighterpublishing.com I just checked his website and it says it's under construction, so they must be re-vamping it, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct address, because I've had it bookmarked and linked to it right from there, and have seen the website before. But anyway, they are some really neat books, so that's something to look into.

these are all such great suggestions. I especially love DoorPosts materials. And what a great idea to incorporate Book of Virtues with writing. I am going to also try to implement a little more character training with my son. Also, have any of you heard of Lamplighter Publishing? Mark Hamby is the one who founded this co. and he publishes old stories full of virtuous morals. I took a look at his books at the Midwest Homeschool Convention and I really liked the look of them. His website is www.lamplighterpublishing.com I just checked his website and it says it's under construction, so they must be re-vamping it, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct address, because I've had it bookmarked and linked to it right from there, and have seen the website before. But anyway, they are some really neat books, so that's something to look into.

Are you talking about the boys of grit series? I have been wondering if they were any good since no one really talks about them

I was disappointed in these. I thought they were not well written (lots of colloquialisms). The concept is great, though.

There's another series about Christian heroes (short chapters on lots of them in each book) that I also didn't like.

Keep in mind that hubby calls me "malcontent." I'm working on it. :001_smile: Hope the details help you out some, though.