Menu

Eco or other "green" laundry detergents....

I liked the Bi-O-Kleen powder when we had two in diapers, though I generally prefer liquid (I wonder why nobody carried the liquid then??)

We switched last year to Seventh Generation blue eucalyptus - lavender. I've been very happy with it. Clean clothes, clean but not overwhelming scent. It seems to last a long time - though I have a front loader, so wash nearly everything with the lowest mark amount of detergent. (It is labeled as HE, though, so I'm not concerned about too much bubbling.)

We used All Free and Clear for quite a while, but the clothes were getting dull. I switched to Ecos clear. Then, for a "green" bleach, I purchased Oxo-brite.

As soon as I got the Oxo-Brite, I soaked our clothes in it for a few hours per the directions. The whites were so white and the colors were so brite! I intentionally left one towel out to compare after they were done. What a difference!

THe Ecos is about $12 for 100oz. It cleans 50 loads on a standard machine, 100 on an HE machine.

Edited by Blessedfamily

I use this one too, but my bottle says 105 loads, 210 HE loads and I paid about $12 at Costco.

I haven't tried Oxo-brite.....

Dawn

We used All Free and Clear for quite a while, but the clothes were getting dull. I switched to Ecos clear. Then, for a "green" bleach, I purchased Oxo-brite.

As soon as I got the Oxo-Brite, I soaked our clothes in it for a few hours per the directions. The whites were so white and the colors were so brite! I intentionally left one towel out to compare after they were done. What a difference!

THe Ecos is about $12 for 100oz. It cleans 50 loads on a standard machine, 100 on an HE machine.

I use this one too, but my bottle says 105 loads, 210 HE loads and I paid about $12 at Costco.

I haven't tried Oxo-brite.....

Dawn

Dawn,

I couldn't remember which, but someone told me Costco had a great price on one of the two products I use. Maybe they sell a larger container of the Ecos than what I buy. I need to check into this because that's twice as much for the same price!

Yes, that is what I was thinking! After reading your post I had to go back and double check my bottle. It is a very large bottle. I don't actually always even use the full recommended amount. I have a front load washer.....so I often get over their number of loads per bottle.

I also buy giant 5 litre bottles of white vinegar for around $3 at Costco and use that for fabric softener.

Dawn

Dawn,

I couldn't remember which, but someone told me Costco had a great price on one of the two products I use. Maybe they sell a larger container of the Ecos than what I buy. I need to check into this because that's twice as much for the same price!

I also buy giant 5 litre bottles of white vinegar for around $3 at Costco and use that for fabric softener.

Dawn

I keep trying this and things come out really hard and stiff when I use vinegar. How much vinegar do you put in? I have a front loader as well.

Jan

I have used Method cleaners for years and love them. They had one of the first concentrated AND fragrance-free laundry detergents that I found.

I have recently started to use products from Nature Clean Living, but I believe that these are only available in Canada.

Both of these lines are excellent and are widely available (at least in my neck of the woods)!

Janet

I have used Method cleaners for years and love them. They had one of the first concentrated AND fragrance-free laundry detergents that I found.

I have recently started to use products from Nature Clean Living, but I believe that these are only available in Canada.

Both of these lines are excellent and are widely available (at least in my neck of the woods)!

Janet

:iagree:Another vote for method, we get ours at Toysrus.