Menu

Another pet question...guinea pig vs hamster!

We are planning on getting our 6yo either a hamster or a pair of guinea pigs for her birthday. She just loves animals and wants to be a vet...as of right now! Ha!! We have a cockatiel and she is absolutely amazing with it! We call her "the bird whisperer."

I am fully aware that I will be the one to do most of the cleaning of the cage. That's fine...I already am the care giver for the bird! However, I'm wondering if a hamster would be a better "starter rodent" than a guinea pig. Two concerns I have are ample space for the cage set-up of piggies...and, the fact that it's probably easier to leave a hamster for a night if we go out of town rather than 2 piggies. My DH doesn't want to be "tied down" because of a pet. Sigh...

Any opinions or helpful info?

Thanks!

~Holly

they're much friendlier than hamsters, less nocturnal, and actually are glad to see you! they whistle and make other cute noises when you walk by, wanting you to pay attention to them.

as far as leaving them alone, if you have a big enough water bottle, it should be okay to leave them for one or two nights. longer than than and i'd have someone come to check on them, feed them, etc.

hth

kay

Well, I can definitely tell you that we LOVED our guinea pigs! We had two precious piggies for five years, and boy-oh-boy were they loved. They were just sweet fat little things to have, and GREAT starter pets! Very very easy pets to have.

I can't ease your mind about your concerns though. Guinea pets need exercise, and the majority of the cages sold in pet stores are not big enough for two full-grown pigs to get enough exercise. We made our own cage for them with a combination of wire grids and plasti-board (plastic cardboard stuff that we bought at a sign store and then shaped into a box that went into the wire cage form made from the grids.) It sat in our basement playroom area and took up about 12 - 15 square feet of space. When we went away we either found a neighbor that could come in once a day to feed them and change their water, or we moved the cage to the house where they were going to be cared for. Having people come in was definitely the easier option!

We had to clean the cage about once a week. Bedding was NOT cheap, but towards the end of their lives I found a neat alternative made from recycled newspapers that only had to be changed once a month. LOVED that stuff! :D

My kids loved and played with those piggies so much, that every dime of expense and minute of cleaning the cage and hassle of caring for them when we went away was worth it!

They even turned them into movie stars!! "Pigs in the Evening" was a dramatic video series, starring the pigs, written and voiced by my kids and a neighbor. The pigs were detectives and solved crimes around the basement play area. In one episode they were hired by "Dr. Barbie" (one pig actually nibbled off Dr. Barbie's fingers in one scene - in every scene after that carrots were present for the pigs to nibble on!) to solve a crime!

I digress - so sorry! I am enjoying memories - we lost both pigs this past spring and summer and still miss their companionable squeaks every time we go into the basement.

No matter which type of rodent you choose, may you have just as much fun as we did!

Blessings,

Hamsters can be really mean. Guinea pigs are just a much sweeter pet. I am not sure why you would purchase one hamster, but two guinea pigs. If you have one, it is more likely to be tamer and become more attached to your daughter (if she handles it a lot).

As far as leaving overnight or for a day or two, the guinea pig(s) will do just fine as long as they have plenty of food and water left for them.

They do need a bit more space, but you can alleviate some of that by purchasing a small x-pen and setting it up to let the piggies run around and having a smaller sleeping area/cage (though not too small of course since you may not take them out every day.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a guinea pig, and a hamster is just not the same in my opinion, and from our experiences.

In fact, as far as rodents in general go, a rat is actually the best of all (least smelly, smartest and most friendly), guinea pig next. If I were to go small, I'd take a mouse before a hamster - MUCH nicer pets! We've had all of the above at one time or another!

We had both hamsters and guinea pigs growing up, and both were fun. The hamsters were good at getting out, getting lost and possibly dying in the walls or getting eaten by our cats. The guinea pigs were loud--every time you walk by, they go "Weeeee! Weeee!" They were a bit smellier and took up more space.

Both were fun to play with, and you had to change the cages either way. But if it were me, I'd probably go with a hamster.

In fact, as far as rodents in general go, a rat is actually the best of all (least smelly, smartest and most friendly), guinea pig next. If I were to go small, I'd take a mouse before a hamster - MUCH nicer pets! We've had all of the above at one time or another!

I totally agree! Our ratties were the sweetest! We had two, and then another two when the first two died. They never, ever bit us. I have read many times that rats are very much like dogs in temperament.

When done properly, guinea pigs take an exceptional amount of work. They are very social animals, vocal and active and need constant interaction. They are not "hearty" pets--they require constant and proper feeding (which is expensive) and care.

Hamsters are marginally better. Teddy Bear hamsters even more still. They still require a goodly amount of care and interaction, but not near as much as a guinea. However, they do well being left alone. Guinea's thrive on constant holding, brushing, etc.

If I were you, and I hate to sound mean, but I'm sorry, she's too young. There is too much care involved in many pets, proper care, for me to be comfortable saying "Sure go ahead". I love rats, hermits crabs, turtles, frogs, fish, birds, etc. But they require an inane amount of care. The only reason we no longer have our Guinea is because the DD who took care of him developed a serious allergy to him. :(

There is just so much one has to do to properly care for a guinea---butt checks daily (the males especially get impacted), fingernail clippings, proper food diet (not store bought junk), proper cage bedding, calcium in the water, learning their vocalizations... etc... not good for a 6 year old, IMHO.

Your better bet is to teach her proper care of the animal she already owns. We own a cockatiel as well and even though Tweety is "Mine", my 12 yr old takes full care of her. She has the books, etc. She does the google searches, etc. She also has two yellow bellied turtles, that are HERS and she does all the care for them.

I'm sorry to be such a damper, but I just can't and won't recommend a pet for someone that young. Not one like a piggie or anything. It really is a LOT of work. I mean more than the bird.

I love hammies, but I've come to realize that they are "temporary pets." They can live up to three years, but our average is about 18 months, and we've had a bunch of them.

I haven't had a guinea pig, mainly because I don't want to give up the space to a big cage. But I hear they are wonderful, and they have a longer life span. Of course, the cage to be cleaned is bigger, they eat more, etc.

Hamsters' lifespan is unfortunately only about 2-3 years.

Piggies live longer and can be very friendly but like dangermom pointed out they seem to smell sooner and cage has to be kept clean daily.

Personally, I would go for the piggies - I think they can be set up to spend a couple of days by themselves just as well as hamsters can. I still remember the drama every time a hamster passed on - too many deaths in the family!

Yes, the type of hamster we would get would be a teddy bear. I read those are the "best" for young children. I was just remembering my brother had a hamster at age 5 and was very responsible with it. I helped him clean the cage and we all played with Penny-Pooky! She was a great little pet.

I did consider rats, but I'm not sure she is ready for the "intelligence" of a rat. I have a friend that has a few and suggests a rat is better for a child 10yo and up. That's why I was thinking hamster. I'm still concerned about the cage size of the piggies. A piggie is really my first choice, but I don't have 15square feet to give up. If we had basements here in FL...I'd do it in a hearbeat.

Regarding have two piggies...I thought I read you should not buy just one, because they "need" a companion.

Sigh!

Thanks for all the opinions!

~Holly

We love our guinea-she is great! Guineas are herd animals, in addition to being awake in the daytime. This is great, especially if you only have one, because you become their "herd." They will bond with you. :)

I have heard you can even house train them, although ours isn't.

hth,

My first thoughts are - 1. They are an inconvenience. 2. They are work 3. They cost about $30 every 2 months for bedding, vitamins, hay and pellets (they also eat fresh stuff, but they get scraps from our fresh veggies, which isn't costly really. Tonight she got the tops from the green beans I snipped!) 4. They aren't the cuddly critter I had hoped my kids would love. (My kids were just too young to handle them safely, without hurting the piggies. The kids were 4 and 2 when I got them.)

We had 2 (and now 1 - one recently died) piggies for the last 4 years. I found that they are more fragile than I thought originally, and so weren't good pets for my then-4-year-old. I think an 8 or 10 year old could be trained to properly lift, hold and care for them though.

They have been a bigger commitment than I originally thought, as well. They ended up not getting handled as often (because of the age of the kids), and so sort of are the "thing that sits in the corner using up space". I know that sounds mean, but just the way it is. One interesting thing that has come from owing them though, is that DS now does NOT want a dog (he used to wish for one). He sees how much work we have to do for the piggies, and knows a dog would be even more, and so doesn't want to deal with that!

We often go away for the weekend. If we are going only one night (and 2 full days - say leave Sat. morning, come home late Sunday night), they can make it in the cage at home without help. Otherwise, we either ask a neighbor to come over to feed and water (2x/day is ideal, but once will do), or just bring them with us in a small pet carrier. We have a cage in Grandma's basement where we keep them when we're visiting.

FWIW, I've heard great things about rats too! I think I would consider getting one if we were "in the market for a pet". The preschool DS went to a long time ago had two, and they were sweet, friendly, hand-trained, etc. They rode around in the pockets of the teachers' aprons half the day! It looked fun, and the kids loved them. They did get out all of the time, though - they were SMART and DETERMINED! ha!

Good luck and hope that helps! - Stacey

FWIW, We just made this decision recently and, after doing our research, decided to go with gerbils. :-) I ruled out guinea pigs primarily because they would require more space than what I care to donate to them in my home (:-). I ruled out hamsters because they are more nocturnal than gerbils and typically less personable. Additionally, gerbils are typically less smelly. We've not yet adopted our babies because we're still in the throws of renovating and moving but, hopefully, sooner than later we can put some action behind this decision! HTH, Sharon

Funny, I'm just done handling my teddy bear for the night. She's not a true teddy bear hamster though, she's a 'turtoise shell', basically she's not all black, but she did get the teddy bear character.

She's our third hamster, and second teddy bear. I have more fun with her than the kids do, although my DD enjoys her too. DS is indifferent.

Our two piggies lasted less than 24 hours in the house. They were THAT smelly. DH is allergic to their smell, and boy did they smell! In contrast the hamster cage can go 3 days without bothering DH. And up to a week without bothering me, although it's not nice to the hamster.

This particular hamster we got is so vocal, it's funny! She squeaks when I get near her cage, and she 'yells' at me if I wake her up during the day. She has never tried to bite. In fact, of my three hamsters, only one bit me, and that was within 24 hours of his natural death. He was suffering, and didn't want to be handled (but I had to do a check up!) I know that the breeder that sells to my local pet shop is great. All her hamsters turned out to be great pets.

If you are still undecided, you may want to look into foster care for small animals.

We fostered some rats this past spring/summer and had a great time with them. We could have kept them indefinitely, but were needed to return them when we went on a 3 week summer vacation. We will probably foster some more rats in the spring. This was through our local humane society. They provided the cage and food although we took over the food responsibility after about 6 weeks.

Our area (western WA) also has a need for foster care for guinea pigs. There is a guinea pig rescue organization who can help you get set up with one or more piggies depending on what you would like.

Fostering might be a good way to try out a pet and help your local organizations. They are grateful for foster care for a few weeks, but would love someone who will take animals for an indefinite amount of time.

• 3 weeks later...