Menu

Preschool

When DD was that age I just enrolled her in classes. She took art and dance, and played baseball. (She *hated* baseball. lol I don't think wee'll do that again any time soon.:tongue_smilie:)

That filled her need for "school" without pushing her into academics and the need to "perform."

Kumon books are great. My son is doing them now and he loves it. When he finishes a book we all gather as a family and preent his certificate (located in book) and he really loves that. Also we read aloud a lot and get up early once a week to take a "nature walk" (to the park) w/o his brothers. It's some of his alone time and he enjoys seeing the animals, birds, and insects that aren't found there at busy time of the day. Lastly we are alo doing lots of art with the Little Hands Art book and our own imagination, plus wimming lesson start soon. Motly though, he just wants to be doing something with mommy and daddy.

Best of wishes,

Danielle

Does (s)he know her ABCs and numbers to 10? My kids enjoyed doing dot-to-dots and mazes at that age. They have the appearance of "big kid school work" and they help develop fine motor and sequencing skills. If they're ready to read you could always try 100EZ or Phonics Pathways. The Kumon series of workbooks is secular, colorful, and builds skills sequentially. It isn't a curriculum, but it is good for kids eager to do seat work but not ready for K/1st grade stuff.

I like the Kumon coloring, tracing, pasting books. They truly fit a need for my ds6 when he was 4-5yo, and my dd4 is now doing some of them.

dd4 also enjoys RightStart math games, listens in on SWR lessons and memorizes the phonograms along with big brother. I broke down and bought her the Earlybird Singapore books and she LOVES those (I didn't want to start anything formal at 4, but alas.......)

Our youngest filled his own notebook with colored alphabet pages, dot to dot pages, simple counting pages, and his own drawings while the older dc worked. We printed most of the easy pages off from free online sources and our clip art cds. JanBrett.com has free calendar, coloring, and mural pages that complement her books :)

I have used this nursery rhyme mini-books with my dd. She enjoyed having her own time with me and enjoyed learning the nursery rhymes that I had forgotten to teach her. I have a great art project book that I found that has nice art projects themed around classic stories. Its called Celebrating Art. I also have some simple math workbooks like the Singapore Early Bird and BJU K math (not secular but I like BJU math) for the days that she wants workbook pages. I also ask her what word she wants to learn to write and set it for her to do copywork.

I pull her into our hands-on projects and story times. I also give her a story at the end of her sister's school time.

My dd started the ETC primers at 4 1/2 and really enjoyed them. She also started the Singapore Earlybird math books. She really WANTED to do workbooks though, so they worked out well for her. I wouldn't push workbooks on a 4 year old that doesn't want to do them.

Having an art box and an area to do art activities worked wonderfully for her also at 4 during school time. She could express herself and work with her hands, which satisfied her need to "do school!"

HTH. :001_smile:

I really love Learn and Grow Preschool. It is put out by a christian company, but I've only seen one place where they recommended a christian CD, but that is easy enough to skip. They have a Bible supplement that you can purchase to add in Bible, so the prek other than the one cd is secular. http://www.homeschool-your-boys.com/learnandgrowpreschoolcurriculum.html It has book lists, crafts and activities. It is a lot of fun and my kids really like it.

I did a Letter of the Week thing at that age with my son. I didn't use the website, just kind of made it up. It helped give me a bit of structure. I just picked out books from the library related to that letter and we did a few activities during the week based on the letter. (Looked for Bugs for B week, Went Apple Picking for A week, etc.)

We do FIAR and really like it. Although it's not secular, I think it's really adaptable to whatever you want to do. Althought the manual has a very Christian slant, the books certainly aren't and you can choose to do what lessons you want.

Singapore EB workbooks were also a hit here at 4. Ds likes workbooks and found these fun.

We used Calvert Pre-K, which was okay and secular, but a little overpriced.

I'd look at the Developing the Early Learner and/or Kumon workbooks, and if he likes math, we did Right Start A at 4. Simple drawing books might be good, like I Can Draw Animals or I Can Draw People. Five in a Row might work well, especially some of the easier books like Madeline or Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Sylvia loves Kumon books. She is reading, so I'm starting her on ETC 1, but you could also go back and do the primers. We're also working slowly through Singapore EB 1A, although she also learns during Becca's Rightstart lessons. She also likes to zip through assorted inexpensive workbooks.

I really like some of the ideas you've been presented with.

Critical areas for preschoolers to develop are their gross (large) and fine (small) motor skills, self care skills and social skills. Development of these skills is very important as they prepare for life.

Many of the books that have been recommended to you concentrate on the fine motor skills. Be warned that for what you get, Kumon workbooks are very expensive. The same types of exercises are available free on the internet or in the workbooks that are readily available at discount stores, book stores and dollar stores.

For fine motor skills, I highly recommend Activities for Fine Motor Skills Development by Jodene Smith. This book has the same types of motor skills covered in the Kumon books, such as cutting, tracing, abc's, etc.. Not only is it much more economical, it has the benefit of telling you how to teach your child to do these things and why these things are important to your child's physical and academic development. These activities will require a bit of planning on your part to make sure that you have the needed supplies on hand.

For gross motor skills, I recommend a book by the same author, Activities for Gross Motor Skills Development. It is similar to the book noted above, but concentrates on gross motor skills.

For self care and social skills, I recommend Life Skills for Kids by Christine M. Field. It covers many aspects of life and talks about when to teach particular skills. Family game time is a great time to work on social skills as well. Simple games such as Hi-Ho Cherry O! and The Original Memory Game can be introduced as soon as a child can count three objects. For the concentration game, you may want to use only half (or fewer) cards to start out with, then gradually add more cards in as the child understands how to play the game. Other fun games include Cootie and Don't Break the Ice. Additionally, consider assigning simple chores to your preschool child, such as putting the silverware on the table for a meal, folding washcloths or washing windows with a spray bottle of water and a washcloth.

Have fun!

I really liked Kumon too. Although I think I'm going to use the big skills workbooks this time. They look similar to kumon. http://www.timberdoodle.com/Big_Skills_for_Little_Hands_Set_of_6_p/332-400.htm They are $10/book. But they have over 200 pgs where as kumon is almost $6/book and only has 80 pgs. Timberdoodle's package ends up being cheaper than Amazon so I'm going to order that. I would also like to get Critical thinking company's building thinking skills books too.

I, too, like the Kumon books (and some of the other activity books). My DD4 will be the first of 3 kids to use these books. To save money on them, I tear all the pages out, put them in page protectors and put them in 3-ring binders. She uses dry erase markers on them and then wipes them off when she's done.

We do homemade Montessori activities. I made sandpaper letters, sound boxes from film canisters (my mom still uses a film camera), and color tablets. I also have a shallow box filled with sand for tracing letters. I made rhyming/matching cards by printing off pictures from GoogleImages (hat/cat; chair/bear). I made a matching game using stickers and juice can lids. She also works on Practical Life skills by helping around the house. We do number & shape BINGO on homemade cards. She loves playing with stacking/nesting blocks, writing on the dry erase board in the playroom, and playing with puzzles (20-40 pcs.).

We read tons of books, go on nature walks, watch birds and squirrels at our feeders, do LOTS of crafts, build with Legos, visit the zoo and museums. She is involved in Suzuki music, gymnastics, and swimming lessons. I am also in a mom's group, so she has friends through those activities, too.

I looked at curriculum guidelines for PA and IA and the What Your Preschooler Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch. We don't really follow a set routine (need to work on that); I do try to work at least one of these sorts of things in every day, if possible.

For craft books I love The Preschoolers Busy Book. I agree that some of the best learning preschoolers can do is through experiences and using their fine/gross motor skills.

I love hearing everyone's ideas! The suggestions for materials and activities are super. Glad I found this forum!

my 2cents

KUMON workbooks

Starfall.com

Jumpstart computer games

games for preschoolers (Hi Ho Cherrio or candyland)

card games (matching or old maid)

lots of playing outside with chalk or sticks. My kids are learning abcs and 123s this way

I have a Christian guide because we go here and there when it comes to churches so its nice to have family bible time. I use all of the above including $1 store workbooks and of course just lots of books from the library