Menu

Three Men Each

have roughly 25 years experience apiece in fire depts, government financed fire inspection to determine cause and other fire fighting oriented occupations. They have started a new private inspection business for homes and businesses for inspection in preventing fires before they happen claiming to have 75 years of experience.

I am splitting hairs here, but I am curious.....if you read the brochure that says they have over 75 years experience in this field, where does that take your mind? Do you think the business has been around for 75 years or do you read between the lines that it is most likely collective years between three men in their forties or something else? Is this good math, good advertising or is it misleading the public?

To read interpretively is not my strong asset. It takes work on my part, so I wonder how you read that. Do you read "75 year of experience" as split up between individuals or years in business? Is it up to the public to read interpretively or a business to be clear on meaning? I know this happens all the time and I rarely believe commercials, advertising or brochures....but this is a close relation and I am having a little fun with it.

If that is good math or good advertising, do these scenarios work:

I have been married twice, 12 years and 15 years for each marriage. My dh has been married twice, 5 years and 15 years. Can we say we have been married 47 years?

My kids each have been in school for 5 years together. Can they say they have been in school for 10 years?

Is this ethics or hair splitting or just plain sillyness?

I have been married twice, 12 years and 15 years for each marriage. My dh has been married twice, 5 years and 15 years. Can we say we have been married 47 years?

I think it is completely misleading to say they have 75 years of experience.

An elder at a church we used to attend was remarried after his wife died of cancer. The woman he married was also previously married, and her husband had died of cancer. They were in their late 60's, and claimed to have been married for 67 years- including their previous marriages added up, and the time they were married to each other. :tongue_smilie:

It should technically say they have a combined experience of 75 years.

:iagree: Or a collective of 75 years (but that makes it sound borg-like:tongue_smilie:) I don't think it would be right to say 25 years, because each man has had a unique 25 years experience, right? It should have been reworded to play on the longevity of each mans' experience.

I think it is completely misleading to say they have 75 years of experience.

:iagree:

They were in their late 60's, and claimed to have been married for 67 years- including their previous marriages added up, and the time they were married to each other. :tongue_smilie:

That is absolutely bizarre!

you know, what's really nasty about this type of marketing is that it's NOT "75 years experience."

someone who's been doing X for an actual 40 years has WAY more REAL experience than two guys who have been doing X for 20 years. The historical experience, watching the changes in the industry, and growth in personal wisdom just can't be "collectified" as experience. Years of experience requires a continuous timeline, not several stacked ones.

I think they'd do better to stress their ability as a diverse team [which can many times be better than an individual's bazillion years of experience] than some fake longevity claim.

you know, what's really nasty about this type of marketing is that it's NOT "75 years experience."

someone who's been doing X for an actual 40 years has WAY more REAL experience than two guys who have been doing X for 20 years. The historical experience, watching the changes in the industry, and growth in personal wisdom just can't be "collectified" as experience. Years of experience requires a continuous timeline, not several stacked ones.

I think they'd do better to stress their ability as a diverse team [which can many times be better than an individual's bazillion years of experience] than some fake longevity claim.

When I think of what fire prevention was 75 years ago to what it is now...or even in the last 25 years, 75 years doesn't do it for me. I am trying to remember how many years ago Chicago burnt down. I don't think there was fire prevention that long ago. Your idea makes a lot more sense.