Menu

I am uneducated. Can I do this...and really do it well?

I believe in myself and this family. I have the drive and passion. These kids are my everything and if there is a will, there is a way. I am 100% on board for homeschooling and I will. :auto:

BUT...

How far can I go with just learning as I go with them?

How much of a disadvantage am I giving them?

Is there a subject I need to be teaching myself right now? Besides for reading self-help, parenting, homeschool books. I really like the idea to learn as I go. Can I do that? I got time. My oldest is 5.5.

Please be frank...I can take it.

Guest Dulcimeramy

You can go all the way. You only have to stay one step ahead.

My own sorry educational past makes me unwilling to go it on my own. I buy prepackaged curriculum, put together by truly educated people. The variety of available curriculum will astound you! Here are some ideas:

The Well Trained Mind (not a pkg. curric, but she teaches you how to teach)

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola also helped me learn to teach.

Sonlight

Tapestry of Grace

Winter Promise

Five in a Row

Heart of Dakota

Ambleside Online

Learn how to teach. Buy materials created by educated people. Don't snub the instructor guides! You'll hear some homeschoolers speak as if instructor guides were training wheels that no educated person needs. Fine, I am not an educated person so let me have the training wheels. Thanks.

You may hit some roadblocks.

When I began teaching Ancient History and the middle school level, I had some sleepless nights. No one ever told me about any of this!! Why not? I leaned on Sonlight's Core 6 and 7 instructor guides. They include Story of the World (all 4 volumes) so I bought the SOTW activity guides for even more help.

Another roadblock for me is math. For K-8th, I rely on Rod and Staff teacher's manuals. My children's grades show that I am succeeding at teaching K-8th math. For high school we will use Chalkdust or some other DVD program. I freely admit that I can NOT teach algebra. I don't have to teach it! I just have to find the resources.

I am not an educated person. My children are educated people, because of me. I am doing this. You can do this, too.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Yes, you can do it.

I've learned alongside my boys until just recently. I've felt the need to educate myself and get ahead of them to effectively teach them. They've begun asking questions that require more in depth answers than I've been prepared to give. So I'm studying Latin (Getting Started with Latin, and then I'll move into Henle), and soon I will begin SWB's The History of the Ancient World. I'm also re-reading The Well Educated Mind, and will begin to study some classics soon.

But I know there are plenty of moms who have been able to stay 1 lesson ahead of their kids and do just fine.

I think you should be fine. If you're really worried about it though you can always give yourself a 'classical education'.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/educating.php

I'm planning on working through this myself, simply because I love learning and I feel I missed a lot growing up. I do believe it will help when I am educating my children to be more knowledgeable about various subjects myself. In reality though, there are so many resources out there and places you can go for help that if you get stuck on something in particular your child will not suffer. In fact you will likely learn yourself as you help them find the answer.

My humble opinion: if you can read and write well enough to type out a post, then you can teach your own dc if you have the desire and drive to do so.

Have you read TWTM??? That's a great place to start!

:iagree:

It all starts with desire, and you seem to have plenty!:) You're taking the first steps in an awesome, sometimes scary, but always enlightening journey.

Don't let anyone make you feel that you aren't up to the job!

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.

-- Mark Twain

I LOVE the WTM. That was the first homeschool book I ever read and I just knew I had hit a goldmine that would change my life!

I just don't want to get all hyped up in my dreams though, I wanted to face some facts and look at my weak areas. Not even going to college is a pretty weak area. I was wondering who else out there is doing it and that it really can be done and done well.

I LOVE the WTM. That was the first homeschool book I ever read and I just knew I had hit a goldmine that would change my life!

I just don't want to get all hyped up in my dreams though, I wanted to face some facts and look at my weak areas. Not even going to college is a pretty weak area. I was wondering who else out there is doing it and that it really can be done and done well.

College does not necessarily equal educated IMO. My uncle is one of the most educated people I know and he's never gone to college. He reads constantly, fiction and nonfiction about a variety of subjects. If there are certain subjects you feel particularly weak in, educate yourself. If you feel more comfortable educating yourself in a classroom environment maybe you can audit a community college course in that subject.

Guest Dulcimeramy

I do have a friend who tried to homeschool even though learning was hard for her. She finally decided that her own learning difficulties made the job impossible for her. She was spending all her time reading and trying to understand, yet having less and less time for her family.

In her case, she gave up on homeschooling but she did not regret a moment of study. She learned how to recognize a good school, and how to advocate for her children. She moved to a better school district and got involved.

Some people will choose not to homeschool. However you choose to have your kids educated, it is so important to feel the responsibility of your decisions. It IS on your shoulders to see that they are properly taught, however you decide to do it. I wish you the best as you learn about homeschooling.

I do have a college education - a BSE in music ed - I have been through all of the courses that your average school teacher has been through.....and I will tell you - "You don't need a college education to HS you kids, and do a fantastic job of it!!!"

I have learned more about educating children from my time researching HS than I ever did earning that BSE;)

Go to your library and just read, read, read - Montessori, Charlotte Mason are my two favorites to start! Just jump in!

Yes you absolutely can do it, if you have a determination to do the work.

That's it.

I know a family who decided to homeschool their children despite significant personal challenges. When they started I had real concerns for them and thought of all people, they should NOT homeschool. Honestly, they were badly undereducated and seemed disorganized.

They didn't have a lot of choices though. They live in a violent, very poor area of a large city. Their local public school was terribly unsafe and was an educational wasteland. There was no way at all this family could afford a private school. They chose to homeschool.

I have lived to regret my original opinions of them. Giving their children a good education was absolutely vital to them, and they committed themselves to do the work, each day. They now have a son in college. All of their children are thriving. It's been a really, really good choice for their children. Their outcome is a stark contrast to many of their neighbors, many of whose children have had babies and/or are totally enmeshed in the gangs.

If they can do it, anyone can. Commit yourself wholeheartedly to doing what it takes to do this well, with consistency. You will find a great deal of joy in the journey.

There are MANY homeschooling parents who have never set foot inside a college or university, so yes - it is possible to do it and do it well. Have a little faith in yourself! ;)

Pssst....some of us are even high school dropouts. :seeya:

I wrote my GED exams about ten years ago - a few years after dh did his, as he also dropped out.. I left without any high school credits at all, dh left at the end of his grade eleven year. He's been to college - graduated top of his class from his Accounting Tech program, math-lover that he is :tongue_smilie:..but I haven't.

Homeschooling is much more than just passing on academic knowledge to our children - heck, that's the easy part. Preparing them to go spinning off on their own someday... now *that* can find a Mum at the mirror pullin' out greys. :willy_nilly:

(Wouldn't miss it for the world. :001_wub: )

Yes, you can and statistics agree.

Here is an old article from the Old Schoolhouse Magazine about the makeup of homeschool parents and the level of success homeschoolers.

Here's a quote related to your question:

Several studies have been conducted to look at the parent's education background and whether that had any effect on their children's homeschool academic performance. Figure 1 shows that homeschooled children's test scores remain between the 80th and 90th percentiles, as compared to the 50th percentiles for public school children, whether their mothers have a college degree or did not complete high school. Conversely, for public school students, a parent's education level does affect their child's academic performance. Ray reports that the public school students' standardized test score is directly related to the parents' education level. This means that the more educated the parent is, the better the test score. Why the difference here? The level of education of a parent has no effect on the homeschooled child's' achievement, but it does have an effect on the public school child's' achievement. It's possible that the more educated a public school parent is, the more attentive that parent is to their child's educational process, and hence, the better the test score realized.

Notice that education level of the parent DOES NOT affect homeschool success.

Notice, too, that the education level of the parent DOES affect public school success.

No college degree here but I have real desire to educate my child in the best way possible. For us that is homeschooling. We are finishing our fifth year in a few weeks and I feel like I have learned so much.

I have my own goals for self-education. Right now I'm going back through algebra. I'm also doing high school grammar.

Read a lot and set your own goals. Don't feel bad if you have to start with elementary selections and move up. I truly think when our dc see us learning too it will help inspire them to want to learn more.

It can be done, and it is being done, and it has been done successfully by thousands of parents just like you! Are you starting at the beginning? If so, that makes it even easier. Kindergarten and first grade are SO flexible, and really take so little time (45-60 minutes a day). Just pick a subject that your dc is interested in, and start. If they want to learn to read, get a phonics primer like the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, and start teaching them. If they're more interested in math-y things, pick up some workbooks in your local Walgreens or similar store, and start showing them the relationships between numbers. Pick up a handwriting program (Handwriting Without Tears is loved by many homeschoolers).

Patience is the hardest lesson at the beginning. Sometimes, we don't know how much to expect from our little ones, and we have a tendency to think they're goofing off when they're really just saturated. It takes a bit of give and take to figure out how your child learns, and find your groove. Then, just when you think you've got it all figured out, it changes! Seriously, this is the hardest thing about homeschooling for me.

To answer your original question, about things you need to educate yourself on, I can only answer for myself. We're in our 8th year of homeschooling, and I'm starting to really feel my weakness in literature. I was never much of a reader, especially of the classics. I'm going to have to start working on this myself this summer to prepare for my dd's eighth grade year. OTOH, I have a degree in engineering, and can do high level math, but that doesn't mean I can teach it comfortably. I simply don't have time with my younger higher-need student to create and present algebra lessons to my dd every day. So, I got a video based program that does a wonderful job of presenting her daily lessons, and has a very structured practice/review/quiz program that she can do almost completely independently.

There are many wonderful resources for every subject under the sun, especially if you're not opposed to Christian curriculum. (There are more Christian choices than secular because the majority of homeschoolers are Christian -- this is problematic for folks who don't want to wade through Christian dogma to get to the grammar, or whatever). You really don't have to be an expert in order to provide your children with a high quality education. You can get the help you need, whether it be a highly structured program that takes all the guess work out of it for you, or video or internet based courses that do the teaching. When your dc get older, you can hire tutors, or find classes, or join co-ops that fill in the gaps for you.

YOU CAN DO THIS! Really, you can.

Some of you are high school dropouts :eek:

The smiley there made me ---> :lol: (in a good way, no worries)

Is it really that surprising? Remember - we're talking about the public school system here... My husband and I both dropped out of the same environment that our children are not heading off to every day. ;)

I wish I started years ago. I wanted to home school my oldest, but I was a single parent and it wasn't possible.

After I was married, I thought about it again - but was busy working - and when I started working from home I thought about it again - but then feared I was too impatient and unorganized and just wouldn't be able to give any of them what was needed.

I am only home schooling one, and it can be a lot of work -but worth it. The links presented already are very good.

Just remember, as you are reading The Well Trained Mind and looking through these links - you don't have to do exactly what others are. You are unique, your kid is unique, and sometimes it will take some trial and error. That's okay.

I say go for it! You can always do some home schooling during the summer to try it out. Just keep in mind that kids in school are not always eager to sit down and do school work in the summer, so I would wait a couple weeks into summer, perhaps, and just cover or two subjects (or how many you think you and your child can handle).

Trust me - I have a GED, and about 3 years of college (all over the map and most of the classes were a waste of time because I wasn't focused). If I can do it...any body that is willing to do the work can. =)

I think you should be fine. If you're really worried about it though you can always give yourself a 'classical education'.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/educating.php

I'm planning on working through this myself, simply because I love learning and I feel I missed a lot growing up. I do believe it will help when I am educating my children to be more knowledgeable about various subjects myself. In reality though, there are so many resources out there and places you can go for help that if you get stuck on something in particular your child will not suffer. In fact you will likely learn yourself as you help them find the answer.

That is an awesome link!:thumbup:

I think it is a good question that is all too readily glossed over by the unabashed enthusiasm one finds on a homeschooling board. I am not at all certain what uneducated means...Self taught ? No formal education? No college education? Uneducated merely in a formal sense means very little to me. Some of the most amazing individuals I have ever had the privilege to know were largely self taught. Having said that I also have been around many , many individuals who skated through high school and /or college without cracking a book . I consider them uneducated and victims of social grade promotion. I guess what I am saying is if you lack the confidence and work ethic to self educate the areas where it is needed then you should not educate others. However, with the proper work ethic and solid commitment I think self education is a superior route in many ways to that of a formal education. It seems a knee jerk reaction to simply assert that because one wants to do something that they automatically should without more information regarding whether or not the ability and more importantly ,the commitment is present. I am not trying to naysay your laudable intent but feel that there are realistic limitations or impediments to some situations and only you know if those exist in your particluar case. Needless to say your attitude is laudable and I suspect you will do whatever is needed to give your children your best effort.

When I tell people I homeschool...some ask if I have a degree. Some ask if I am a certified teacher. Some just ask if I am smart enough. They follow that with "I couldn't go back and teach Chemistry or Physics". I couldn't either...and I don't plan on it. I plan on finding curriculum that can teach them. I tell people that I facilitate learning. I don't "teach" anything. We learn together. My boys are learning Latin. I wrote on a post today that I don't know Latin from pig latin! But we use a great program and they are learning it. We all have fun with it and I am there to help and support if there is a question or a problem.

I have a good head on my shoulders, a passion for providing the best opportunities for my children, and a copy of TWTM. That plus the Answer Key and my kids will have the best education money couldn't buy!

You will do great! Best of luck!

Yes, there are different ways to be uneducated, but it still means the same thing which ever way I am.

I am because I just floated through high school, barely passing because I wanted to have fun, party and skip school, etc. With all that experience with the bad, my eyes are wide open :blink: to any shananigans the kids will be up to. ;)

Anyways, I love not trying to fight people and say "YES, I'M QUALIFIED TO TEACH!" The answer before this one was awesome, when some of us can admit that we are facilitating learning and not teaching, but learning.