Menu

Is there such thing as an all-in-one LA curriculum?

I would love to find something that includes grammar, spelling and writing in one fell swoop. We're getting through FLL this year, but not WWE, because I wasn't sure how to implement it. Emma should be in 3 and there is no workbook so I finked out on all of it. :D We're doing AAS for spelling, which I love, but I would dearly love to have one program that included everything for me. Also, I would love to have the girls be able to be a bit more independent. Abbie would like that, Emma would not. :lol:

We're sticking with CM for next year, and Living Books recommends Language Lessons for the Very Young from Queen's Homeschool. I've looked at it before, and it looks good, but maybe a little easy for my girls after FLL (especially Emma who's doing FLL 3). But, the short lessons are certainly appealing.

Any thoughts? I appreciate it!

Beth

I love Queen's, but I am a bit of a CM purist. There is no harm in bumping up a book if your daughter finds it too easy. My nine year old is doing LL for the Elementary child, but he also does copious amounts of narrating along with prepared dictations from his readers. We also do latin which has grammar.

I make Queen's work all by itself because of all the other oral things we do. The author told me that LL is enough when a child is narrating and occasionally writing for other lessons from living books.

After six years of narrating my 11 year old can knock out a decent report from a one time reading, completely from his memory. I am starting to see the fruits of our earlier work, but it does take some faith in the beginning.

Hi. Check out Character Quality Language Arts at http://www.tfths.com/ .

You can also purchase it at www.Timberdoodle.com .

Here are a couple of reviews although I'm sure you can find more on the web:

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/1502.php

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/cqla.htm

I switched to CQLA for the very same reasons you mentioned. I even tried the Rod and Staff route but got disillusioned fast because I felt as if I was woking to hard to piece together all LA subjects. CQLA takes all the guess work out for me. Grammar, spelling, writing, editing, vocabulary, dictionary work...everything is integrated in the lessons and VERY easy to use. PLUS, all the lessons are designed around teaching quality character traits.

The Pre-Level A series is designed for 2nd and 3rd graders so you may want to start there. You can even download a couple months worth of lessons to get you started and see if you like it.

We use Junior English for (US) second grade and up. It has literature, spelling, vocab, light grammar and punctuation, and ideas for writing. It doesn't have specific instructions in how to teach writing. There is a whole chapter sample on the publisher's site that I linked. Come back to me for easy ordering ideas if you want to go ahead.

Best wishes

Laura

I am looking into Learning Language Arts Thru Literature (orange) for my oldest when we get done with what we have. The last all in one was in first grade and it was Alpha Omega Lifepacs and we were halfway thru it before I relized there spelling lists. I am either going to add First Language Lessons Volume 4 since the first three have gone well for my daughter or just go and do the switch Rod and Staff grade 4. DD likes FLL and I like R&S.

We use LLATL. I really like it because it has a nice variety of skills and gently spirals them throughout the year. My kids haven't noticed the level increasing, but by the end of the year they've learned quite a bit. We do use other things as well because LLATL generally takes us about 6 months to complete, so we spend the other half of the year with other resources. R&S is reasonably easy to implement and you could have a complete LA curriculum if you use their English and spelling courses. Their reading is a bit overwhelming IMHO, but by third grade you probably don't need it anymore. If you go with R&S, get the workbook to save on copying all the exercises. We're doing R&S 2 and we do it orally.

CLE is the most complete and GOOD LA program I have found. The only thing we supplement is reading and writing. We use DITHOR for reading and WWE for writing.

NOTE: Be sure to have her take the diagnostic test, if possible. My son placed in LA 400, but I put him back in LA 300 because I wanted to start from the ground up with Grammar again. It is easy for him and he is flying through it, but I can already tell that he is cementing the concepts much better this time around!

Edited by Tree House Academy