Menu

My 9 year old just went on Amazon and ...

Hmmm......my dd 10 went to the languages section at our local library and checked out a CD set to learn Polish. She has been saying she wants to learn Polish for about 2 years now....Polish and Greek. I have listened to some of the Polish CD with her and it sounds HARD!

I love it when kids have their own unique ideas.

But, Polish? Whew!

I think that sounds like fun! I remember in college looking at all the really cool language classes the offered and wondering how I could take them all. I ended up majoring in linguistics, which was fascinating but relatively useless, except that I get a big kick out of language acquisition and love to try to explain voiced/voiceless consonants and stuff like that to my girls. I don't like it as well when their eyes glaze over...

But, I digress. I think it would be so much fun for him! It's a tricky language, though, so it would be way cool if you could find a native speaker for him, too. :D I should have such a child. If you want to trade for my 9 yo girl, let me know. :lol:

Why did he choose Dutch? Is he learning any other languages?

Last year my boys became obsessed with pig-latin and writing in code after reading some books. So I suggested they learn a foreign language...and they chose Latin.:)

I asked him. He said because he admired the East India Company.

Hmmm. Maybe not the best reason to learn a language. :lol: