Menu

Where to buy cheese cloth/ what to substitute...

I'd like to try making rice milk today, but the recipe I found calls for straining the liquid through cheese cloth. I have to run to the grocery store (Kroger), so I can pick one up there, if that's a likely place to find one.

If not, where else should I look? Or is there a good/decent substitute?

TIA!

At my grocery store there is part of an aisle with some kitchen stuff - measuring cups etc. The cheese-cloth is in that section. I don't know if Kroger has a section like that, though.

Yep, that was where I was going to look, but since I've already started boiling the rice, I wanted to know if I had relatively good odds of finding them. Thanks!

I recently saw them at the new whole foods type store here, New Flowers Market.

Dh is a baker and is always on the lookout for them; apparently they aren't extremely easy to find. I'd ask him what to use for a sub. strainer, but he's not here right now... and I don't think he makes things like rice milk. LOL I'm sure he's used it as a strainer in general, though; I'll try to remember to ask him later!

I recently saw them at the new whole foods type store here, New Flowers Market.

Dh is a baker and is always on the lookout for them; apparently they aren't extremely easy to find. I'd ask him what to use for a sub. strainer, but he's not here right now... and I don't think he makes things like rice milk. LOL I'm sure he's used it as a strainer in general, though; I'll try to remember to ask him later!

I used a pillowcase to strain pumpkin for pumpkin pie once...the pillowcase was so beautiful afterward. The pumpkin puree sat in our freezer until I threw it away, though. So sad to put so much effort in the trash.

But I guess I can always use a pillow case, lol.

Often when I see "cheesecloth" for sale, it's a loosely woven mess that is pretty much useless. I generally just use muslin, since real cheesecloth is a lot like muslin. A pillowcase isn't a bad idea. I also like to use muslin because I can cut it to the size I like.

Often when I see "cheesecloth" for sale, it's a loosely woven mess that is pretty much useless. I generally just use muslin, since real cheesecloth is a lot like muslin. A pillowcase isn't a bad idea. I also like to use muslin because I can cut it to the size I like.

:iagree:

Old clean cotton sheets are a good alternative.

Bill

I have been making lots of things that call for cheesecloth. I was using tea towels for a while, (are they called dish towles over there? You dry dishes with them). but then I found some baby cloths- kind of cloths you wrap a baby in- at swap meet, for $1 each, and they work perfectly.

I buy the packages of 100% cotton, non terry dish towels. You know, the kind that you can embroder on?

Depending on your strainer, you can many times cut these in 1/4 and line your strainer with the piece. I don't like cheese cloth because it is sooo thin and lets to much through.