Menu

Are Nalgene water bottles only available online? Also ? about Kleen Kanteen..

I need to purchase new drinking water bottles for our family and will likely purchase the Kleen Kanteen bottles. Those aren't cheap so I thought I might get a cheaper Nalgene bottle for ds to take to soccer. I don't want to worry about losing/misplacing it.

If you own Kleen Kanteen did you get different colors for your family or just the regular with different sleeves. It's a bit cheaper to go the latter route if I am getting the sleeves. I think dh is going to raise his eyebrows when I tell him how much these cost. Especially when we got large water bottles from the Container Store and a few months later found out that drinking from polycarb is not a good idea.

If you own a Nalgene, what kind did you get? Is the sleeve necessary for the KK?

Thanks.

If Nalgene bottles are cheap, I don't want to know what Kleen Kanteen run. :eek:

I bought my Nalgene bottles nearly a decade ago at a hiking/camping/hunting supply store.

I did get insulated sleeves for my Nalgene bottles, but they didn't insulate well and in nearly doubled the volume the bottle occupied in my bag. So I ditched them shortly after I bought them. I'm not even sure where they are anymore (the sleeves, not the bottles).

HTH

We just got the plain Kanteens with different sleeves. However, at our last trip to our local Fred Meyer grocery store, I noticed that they had similar bottles for about $12. They had the aluminum ones that I've seen a lot of places, but also a couple different styles of stainless steel, including one that had a wide mouth opening like the Kleen Kanteens.

We have Kleen Kanteens and love them. When we bought them only silver was available. My ds ended up scratching his name onto his. Otherwise we don't really keep track of whose is whose.

I did recently buy some for my cousins who come every weekend--for them I purchased different colors for each child, and have been very glad I did so.

There's no difference in price, so it makes sense to me to just go ahead and get the different colors. Kleen Kanteen has one set of colors, and LL Bean has a different set. For grown-ups I bought solid lids that you have to remove in order to drink from the bottle; for the kids I bought KK sport drink tops. They fit just fine on the LL Bean bottles.

When we got the KKs I told my kids they should plan to take these water bottles with them to college someday and impressed upon them the important of not losing it. So far they have done well.

We use the klean Kanteen and love them!

We dont use the Nalgene bottles because they are actually made with a #7 plastic (unless they have changed it in the past few years), which is one of the most toxic plastics you can buy!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
If you own Kleen Kanteen did you get different colors for your family or just the regular with different sleeves.

Yes, everyone got a different Kleen Kanteen/cover combo. It makes life much easier around here.

I think dh is going to raise his eyebrows when I tell him how much these cost.

Well, DH loves his Kleen Kanteen. However, he has no idea how much they cost. We got lucky and Santa put them in our stockings. ;) If he ever asks, I'll tell him how much more bottles or replacement bottles would be but he won't ask. Honestly, he's sorry he ever looked at the price of anything when he does store runs for me. The price of milk in particular kills him and when I tell him he doesn't want to know how much everything costs these day, he just says he believes me. Ignorance is definitely bliss in his case. :lol:

Is the sleeve necessary for the KK?

It is in Texas! It really is remarkable that so thin a sleeve can keep water cold for so long. Those bottles would heat up pretty quickly without them. When we're out all day, I want the water to still be cold in the afternoon. The longer we're going to be out, the more ice I add to the bottle. So far, so good.

ETA: If I had it to do all over again, I would buy everyone a different color bottle and a black sleeve. These sleeves get dirty. DH's, with the black sleeve, looks pristine but the other four are looking pretty messy.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

When I bought our Klean Kanteens the silver was much cheaper, so I got 6 silver. I then allowed my kids to paint around the tops of each of theirs (little hearts, stars, the ABCs, smiley faces) with metal paint. You can small bottles of metal paint at places like Michaels fro .50-$1 each. I painted a small pink cross on one side of mine. We also just put regular soda "huggies" on them since we have tons of those that we've gotten free over the years. It works great. Now they are easy to tell apart and it was much more cost effective for me.

My friends have colored bottles and the paint scratches. If our paint scratches off, we can just paint them again.

You can buy Klean Kanteens at REI, if you need to buy them in person. I'm glad I got different colors for my family, but it's not absolutely necessary. We've had ours (and the sleeves) for a year now, and I've been really happy with them.

I wasn't satisfied with the content of Nalgene bottles. I figured if I was going to spend money, I wanted materials I was absolutely sure I'd be okay with a few years from now.

If somebody has a better/cheaper idea I am all :bigear:.

I'm finding stainless steel bottles popping up in a variety of places. Whole Foods has several options that are less expensive than KK. I found mine in a CVS drugstore--3/$12.00. My only disappointment is that they didn't offer the insulated covers, and the bottles do sweat a lot and get warm quickly.

You might look around a bit before you order.

Beth

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We also just put regular soda "huggies" on them since we have tons of those that we've gotten free over the years. It works great.

That is a great idea! I think I might try it on my kids' Kanteens. They have the 18 oz though and I don't know that the soda covers would be tall enough. Worth a try though. We have a few. DH and I have the 40 oz so it's definitely not going to work with those.

If you are getting KK bottles for several family members, I'd get the colored ones. I think the sleeves would be lost eventually. I know these colored ones are even more expensive than the stainless steel ones but once you purchased them, they should last for a long time.

I told my son if he lost his, he had to replace it from his own funds. So far it has survived many trips to college and back!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

You can get them straight from the source.

http://www.kleankanteen.com/index.html

You can get them at other stores but I had a really hard time getting all the bottles and sleeves in the colors I wanted all in the same place. Some companies would have all the bottles and not the right color sleeves or all the sleeves but not the right size bottles... It was easier to just order them directly. Even though I could have placed two separate orders with other companies that had what I wanted for less, it would have eaten up the difference in shipping. I earned free shipping by buying it all in one place.

That said, I would check Amazon. They had good prices when I looked. Again, they just didn't have everything I wanted and by splitting up my order with the KK people, I would have lost free shipping.

I remembered incorrectly that they were all the same price. I guess at that price point, $2 between the silver and colors was pretty negligible. :lol:

We haven't had any problem with lost sleeves around here. My kids are littles and don't even take them off. They provide sort of a carry handle for them that they really like. I personally can't see it being a problem for us and they sure are worth their cost for how cold they keep the water. Plus, I despise condensation dripping everywhere and it protects against that too. My kids have their kanteens with them constantly. They even keep them in their bedroom for their nightly water.

Thank you so much for your responses. I was out all day today and actually stopped by a Dick's sporting goods store to see if they had any bottles there. They had the Klean Kanteens, Nalgene and the Sigg. They carried some sleeves but not the nicer ones I had seen at reusablebags.com.

I thought I'd wait and read your responses before I purchased anything. I also need to talk to dh about it ;)

Thanks again.

Hey, you're back from your trip. Hope all went well. Write when you get a chance.

Take care.

I'm finding stainless steel bottles popping up in a variety of places. Whole Foods has several options that are less expensive than KK. I found mine in a CVS drugstore--3/$12.00. My only disappointment is that they didn't offer the insulated covers, and the bottles do sweat a lot and get warm quickly.

You might look around a bit before you order.

Beth

ETA: If I had it to do all over again, I would buy everyone a different color bottle and a black sleeve. These sleeves get dirty. DH's, with the black sleeve, looks pristine but the other four are looking pretty messy.

Thanks for this! Good to know.

When I bought our Klean Kanteens the silver was much cheaper, so I got 6 silver. I then allowed my kids to paint around the tops of each of theirs (little hearts, stars, the ABCs, smiley faces) with metal paint. You can small bottles of metal paint at places like Michaels fro .50-$1 each. I painted a small pink cross on one side of mine. We also just put regular soda "huggies" on them since we have tons of those that we've gotten free over the years. It works great. Now they are easy to tell apart and it was much more cost effective for me.

Good idea!