Menu

Conficker Computer Virus.

Ok, I have been working on this for almost five hours now. Four computers, all started at the same time; two were done hours ago, one finished about an hour ago and the last one is still running. The kids' computers needed updating and security. One kid had 45 malicious items. I had 24. My hubby only had seven and I don't know about the last one yet. We have Norton and Spyware and a firewall and some other anti-virus all with automatic updates and we only go to a few safe sites. A few of the items were security disablers. Once your security is disabed the door is open for everything else. Check your computers ladies. You might be surprised by what you find.

Ok, I have been working on this for almost five hours now. Four computers, all started at the same time; two were done hours ago, one finished about an hour ago and the last one is still running. The kids' computers needed updating and security. One kid had 45 malicious items. I had 24. My hubby only had seven and I don't know about the last one yet. We have Norton and Spyware and a firewall and some other anti-virus all with automatic updates and we only go to a few safe sites. A few of the items were security disablers. Once your security is disabed the door is open for everything else. Check your computers ladies. You might be surprised by what you find.

Are you saying that Norton didn't do anything about teh 45 malicious items during your regular scans and live updates?

I ran the Microsoft tool, and it found none. I always do automatic updates for Windows and keep Norton up-to-date.

I'm confused. :confused:

Are you saying that Norton didn't do anything about teh 45 malicious items during your regular scans and live updates?

I ran the Microsoft tool, and it found none. I always do automatic updates for Windows and keep Norton up-to-date.

I do the same, and we had 9 infected files on our computer.

I used to use Norton and McAfee. I switched to BitDefender - and later to one called Stopzilla when I ran them and found a bunch of stuff that Norton and McAfee didn't catch.

No, it's not affecting Macs. Yet another reason to have one!

The Mac OS is very crash resistant and virus resistant. There are only 40 viruses for the Mac vs how many thousands for the PC. Unix, the OS Mac bases their OX on, is even more virus resistant, but I think it can be less user friendly.

Those reasons were part of why we went with a Mac. No more blue screen of death, or virus worries.

I run AVG Free every 3 days and mine is as clean as a whistle. Most recent scan found nothing.

I've read that many of the free ones actually put spyware on your computer -- that's how they get their money.

I'm not saying that the ones we pay for don't. I'm just saying what I've read.

AVG is the one i have had recommended to me by all tech geeks. They use it on production systems even.

Yep, that's what I am saying. Somehow, a security disabler got through and then it was able to prevent the rest of the programs from doing their jobs so although it looked like they were doing their jobs, they in fact were not.

Two computers eneded up having 7 items each and all of those items ended up being adware type items. The problem on those computers was either the adwares had got on the computer since the last autoscan or were written to get by the Norton. In any case, not really a big deal. They would have been caught the next time a system update was ran.

The other two computers (the ones with 24 & 45 items) both had security disablers on them. This essentially prevents your security systems from doing their jobs (it turns off your security). Once this happened it opened the door for everything else. There were backdoor bots, trojans, the virus that starts with the V, adware and just about everything else under the sun. All the while, everything looked fine and preformance was ok so I had no idea anything was wrong.

The thing that makes me really mad is that hubby is a computer systems analyst for a living. About six months ago, he insisted that we change from AVG which was free and working just fine with no preformance issue to Norton which is not and slows down your computer. SO we went out and bought a individual copy of Norton for each computer in the house (6 of them) at **** near $100 a piece.

Almost immediately, my hubby's work computer got the V virus (Vonou or something like that) and crashed hard. It took about a month to fix it and it wasn't easy. There were several very advanced computer guys working on it. About a month ago, I had a system issue that took about a week to fix. So quiet obviously, what we have now is not working as well as what we used to have.

Anyhow, last night I ran Windows updates on all computers. Then ran the program from Malwarebytes that caught all the issues (free and you can find it in the first article I posted in this thread) and then a Norton update. We also have Spyware on ours computers and it is updated. SO as far as I can tell the computers are now updated and clean. And I plan to have a discussion with hubby this weekend about going back to AVG. :glare:

The thing that makes me really mad is that hubby is a computer systems analyst for a living. About six months ago, he insisted that we change from AVG which was free and working just fine with no preformance issue to Norton which is not and slows down your computer. SO we went out and bought a individual copy of Norton for each computer in the house (6 of them) at **** near $100 a piece.

Yep, I hate Norton and Macafee. They bog down the computer and have security holes big enough for a truck to drive through. I've been using AVG for 3-4 years with no incidents.

Barb

I've read that many of the free ones actually put spyware on your computer -- that's how they get their money.

I'm not saying that the ones we pay for don't. I'm just saying what I've read.

Some do, but AVG is clean and better than anything you can purchase, IMO.

Barb

We seem to have got it. It's crashed all IE-related stuff, and seems to have messed with Mcafee. I can only use the internet with Safari right now (which fortunately we had). We've been running scans all day but haven't been able to fix anything. Driving me nuts, because I can't access a lot of stuff.

Our other computers appear to be clean, but this is where all MY stuff is so it's frustrating.