Menu

Book A Week in 2009 Week 12

I forgot today was Thursday and you know what that means. Today is Week 12 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and starting on book # 13.

To recap the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to.

You may post your reviews, thoughts, reactions to the books you've read here or on the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Blog. You can actually join in anytime and this past week we have had two new folks join us.

Welcome to Sarah aka Loupelou and Jennifer aka jenL.

I started reading War and Peace last Sunday and am halfway through the book. Guess what? I am really enjoying it too! Can't for the life of me even think about what I'm going to read next.

How are you progressing and what book are you reading this week?

I read "Nourishing Traditions" because everyone else on here seems to have and I felt uncool ;) I started Anna Karenina but sent her back to the library. It's not the sort of book one can enjoy if only able to read a page or three at a time while breastfeeding. She'll have to wait until I have more than 4 minutes reading time in each sitting. I've just started reading The Jungle Effect. Why did no one tell me, before I got hooked on this homeschooling idea, that there was such things as FOOD PSYCHOLOGISTS and NUTRITIONAL ANTHROPOLOGISTS?!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ya hate it when there are so many cool things to do you have to invent a theory of reincarnation so you don't feel bad about missing out?

That could just be me...

Hmm.

I think I missed last week. I finished The Door in the Wall as book 11. I'm now reading A Morbid Taste for Bones and Deconstructing Penguins. I've been reading easy books lately, but as I'm coming out of the winter funk, maybe I'll buckle down and get to some more thought-provoking reads here soon.

Wow, Margaret!! That is quite the list! I'm not keeping pace with you, that is for certain, but I'm up to book 12.

Let's see. This last week I read another Janet Evanovich novel and listened to Northanger Abbey. I'd forgotten just how funny Northanger Abbey is, and I think a lot of the humor came through because of the narrator who had a great sense of timing and used some great voices for the different characters.

I'm working on two, however. So, it'll all come out in the wash next week.

Here's what I've read so far:

Bel Canto

In Cold Blood

Joy in the Morning

Sister Carrie

Sense and Sensibility

Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads

Before and After You Get Your Puppy

Assassination Vacation

Larklight

The Virgin Blue

Q & A

The Book Thief

Innocent Traitor

I'm currently reading The Lady Elizabeth and listening to The Jesuit and the Skull. I'm loving The Lady Elizabeth, but I have a hunch I might like The Jesuit better if I were either reading it on paper or there were a different narrator. This guy's kind of monotonous in his delivery.

At least I'm doing better with my vow about not re-reading so much.

Week 1: The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch

Week 2: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Week 3: The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch

Week 4: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

Week 5: The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Week 6: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Week 7: Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

Week 8: Paper Towns by John Green

Week 9: Eva Trout by Elizabeth Bowen

Week 10: Saville: David Storey

Week 11: The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald

Week 12: Offshore by Penelope Fitzgerald

Blessings

Zoraida

Finished book #15 - Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson. I had never heard of her or the title - but I could not put the book down once I started it. While I could not relate to the main character's VERY *uppercrust* lifestyle, the definitely Christian theme will, at some point - and maybe several times over - make you ponder your own life in relation to Jesus' teachings. Worth taking the time to read, IMHO . . .

Currently reading, and almost finished with Tom Brokaw's sequel to The Greatest Generation - entitled The Greatest Generation Speaks. About WWII vets in their own words and the words of their spouses, children and grandchildren - a very momentous and patriotic time in our history - and well worth reading and remembering their sacrifice for our freedom.

When I finish this, I plan to read Brokaw's third and last sequel, An Album of Memories.

This week will be reading Three Men In A Boat by Jerome

Week 12: Q's Legacy by Helene Hanff

Week 11: Turbulent Souls: A Catholic Son's Return to His Jewish Family by Stephen J. Dubner

Week 10: Body in the Bouillon by Katherine Hall Page

Week 9: Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah

Week 8: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester

Week 7: The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff

Week 6: Shelf Life by Suzanne Stempek Shea

Week 5: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Week 4: Mosaic by Amy Grant

Week 3: The Faith Club by Idilby, Oliver and Warner

Week 2:The Body in the Kelp by Katherine Hall Page

Week 1: Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale by Gillian Gill

This week I'll be reading The Book of Negros by Lawrence Hill. He's a Canadian author. Recently the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) discussed this book and four others as a book every Canadian should read. I have started and to coin a cliche, it is riveting.

Oh, oh, oh! Don't miss out on Somebody Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill. It is amazing!!!

Oh fun! Can I join you ladies? Right now, I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces. I'm joining a RL book club as well that a mom friend of mine has been twisting my arm to join. I can't think of the name of the book they're reading right now, but that's next on my list. A few days ago I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. That was such a beautiful book! I highly recommend it if you enjoy Asian literature.

I finished The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. It was a convoluted story. At times I didn't know where he was going with this or why but he tied it all up in the end but he sure took the scenic route. Once I figured out where he was going, I enjoyed the ride. :001_smile:

Next is Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

Same book, different titles where the Lawrence Hill is concerned.

Since I last checked in:

Jesus, Interrrupted. Bart Ehrman

Sputnik Caledonia. Andrew Crumey

The Fall of Hyperion. Dan Simmons

I See You Everywhere. Julie Glass

American Lion. Jon Meacham

The Children's Bach. Helen Garner

The Post-Office Girl. Stefan Zweig

I should finish my 25th book of the year this weekend. If I can keep up the pace, I should make it through 100 books by the end of the year--haven't done that since 2001.

Edited by SFP

Running list:

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

Music of the Dolphin

My Blue Castle

The Eye of the Heron

Fools Run

Learning to Bow

Mansfield Park

What Shamu Taught Me About Love and Marriage

Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched

Mastering Atmosphere & Mood in Watercolour

I finished Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched, to my surprise. I nearly returned it to the library over and over again. Too many dead animals. Too many people descriptions. Interesting enough in spots to keep me reading.

The watercolour book was beautiful and excellent. Sigh.

-Nan

Just finished The Unthinkable by Amanda Ripley. I am currently working on Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. List so far:

Week 1: The Templars

Week 2: End of America

Week 3: Kluge

Week 4: Spook

Week 5: Panic in Level 4

Week 6: Killing the Imposter God

Week 7: Journeys to a Mythical Past

Week 8: Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blonds?

Week 9: When Men Become Gods

Week 10: The Score

Week 11: More Harm Than Good

Week 12: The Unthinkable

I have 13 books in que and a few on hold at the library as well. I have no idea how I am going to get through them all in a reasonable amount of time but I am trying. :001_smile: