Menu

White-board marker on carpet? How to get it out?

If it won't come out..you can call your insurance company.. They will want you to have it professionally cleaned and if it still won't com eout...well, they replace the carpet.

No, I have not done it, but my neighbors got red candle wax on their carpet.. another friend had her printer ink explode and she got her carpet replaced.

The deductible is still yours...but that is cheaper than paying for new carpet.

I went on-line to talk with my carpet's manufacturer. I followed the steps given (can't remember the details now), but unfortunately the marker stain never completely came out. Our carpet was less than 6 months old. I wish I had thought of the insurance angle to get it replaced, but the way I place our school table and with the shadow from the chairs and garbage can, I don't notice it as much. Sorry. I do feel your pain.

If you bleach it, you'll trade your black spot for a white spot! (Ask me how I know.)

Then, maybe you could use some light brown paint...

(I got some bleach on our closet carpet, several small white spots. I've been contemplating some sort of light brown paint myself. I'm not sure what kind would work best, I'm thinking maybe watercolor.)

I think I'll try the scissors. The rest sounds iffy (and it'd be JUST my luck to end up with a white spot on my carpet after trying bleach or something). I just wouldn't feel right about the insurance idea...but, really, thanks for all the responses. :grouphug:

Sandy

My dc drew happy faces all over mil's carpet w/ a PERMANENT MARKER a few yrs ago. (And her brand new leather sofa, antique rolltop desk, etc.)

I used oxyclean on the carpet. And prayer. And chocolate. (The chocolate was just for me, in case we had to flee to Mexico.)

The whole thing looked so good when I was done (I tried lots of things, but the oxy *worked*) that mil would never have known if fil hadn't called her first thing that morning & told her. :glare:

My dd recently wrote all over my hardwood floors, a rug, my sofa, and my ottoman with a black sharpie (permanent black marker). I used a slightly damp Magic Eraser and it took the ink off every single one at the recommendation of a friend. You can['t tell that any of them had been written on. I don't like those magic erasers for anything else, but I will keep them around now until my dd gets out of the " write on everything I can with whatever I find " toddler stage

My dc drew happy faces all over mil's carpet w/ a PERMANENT MARKER a few yrs ago. (And her brand new leather sofa, antique rolltop desk, etc.)

I used oxyclean on the carpet. And prayer. And chocolate. (The chocolate was just for me, in case we had to flee to Mexico.)

The whole thing looked so good when I was done (I tried lots of things, but the oxy *worked*) that mil would never have known if fil hadn't called her first thing that morning & told her. :glare:

With my food allergies, I have to buy my chocolate at a health food store. There is a small one nearby stocked by a wonderful Christian lady. I usually buy 1 or 2 bags of chocolate chips a week (they are practically the only dessert I can eat...and there was a period of 6 months where I couldn't even eat those.)

Anyway, I purchased 6, telling them, "I've broken my toe and I don't want to take anything except tylenol, so I'm medicating with chocolate chips." Another lady who was in the store looked surprised but interested, and asked, "Does that really help?" I replied, "It doesn't do anything for the pain, but it sure makes me feel better." Everyone in the store laughed.

Scissors.

Seriously.

I've never gotten white board marker out of any fiber, ever. No matter what I've tried (hairspray, bleach, solvent, hot water, cold water, soaking, prewash treatments, etc.) I've managed to totally remove all color from a shirt, and the white board marker remained.

Sorry.

My son drew on everything with white board markers one day a few years ago. We had to repaint the walls and place pillows strategically on the furniture to cover the lines. And then we threw away ALL white board markers forever. I tried everything to get it out and nothing worked. Other markers, lipstick etc. I have been able to get out over the years but dry erase markers are impossible as far as I can tell.

Scissors.

Seriously.

I've never gotten white board marker out of any fiber, ever. No matter what I've tried (hairspray, bleach, solvent, hot water, cold water, soaking, prewash treatments, etc.) I've managed to totally remove all color from a shirt, and the white board marker remained.

Sorry.

Ditto. I have had acetone work marginally in some cases, though.

Alas, dry-erase marker is not the same as lipstick, sharpie or any other manner of regular horrific staining agents. It is a unique beast.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse