Menu

Baltimore Aquarium...worth the money?

Is this Aquarium worth the heavy price admission? Or would you suggest something else "big" to be done in Baltimore instead?

Mmmm... well, I don't think there is much else "big" to be done in Baltimore, is there? :001_smile: I do think that the Baltimore Aquarium is overpriced pretty significantly. It is a decent museum, but the prices are just a bit much for the quality of the exhibits, imo. The only time we go is when we can find a very good discount. The kids do enjoy it, though. The dolphin show is fun.

If the weather is warm during your visit, taking a paddle boat ride in the harbor is lots of fun. Visiting Harbourplace with all the small shops and restaurants is a must in Baltimore, too.

Another idea, though much smaller, is the Walters Art Museum. They offer free admission, but are only open Wed. through Sun. They are very child/family friendly. You can check out their website here: http://www.thewalters.org/visit_plan_museum/planavisit_visitorinfo.aspx

Enjoy your trip!

I have been in aquariums all over the eastern half of the country, and the one in Baltimore is the best. Definitely worth the money. Afterward, you can walk a couple of blocks east and eat in Little Italy. The restaurants there are superb.

A few other ideas depending on your interests - the Science museum w/ IMAX theater, USS Constellation, Walters Art Gallery or Baltimore Museum of Art, Port Discovery children's museum, World Trade Center, B&O Railroad Museum, Fort McHenry (where the Star Spangled Banner was written), the Baltimore Zoo, Lexington Market, the Baltimore City Life Museums, the MD Historical Society Museum, the Maritime Museum, the Enoch Pratt Free Library, or antique row on Howard St. If you want to hang out and relax for a bit, Federal Hill Park overlooks the Harbor and it's a nice place to walk or let the kids play while you sit on a bench.

Mmmm... well, I don't think there is much else "big" to be done in Baltimore, is there? :001_smile:

Are you serious? I lived there 11 years and I still haven't done everything I want to in Baltimore. I keep telling my dh we need to go back as tourists.

Yes, it's well worth the price. The only aquarium I think is superior to it is the Monterey Aquarium. But I'd call to check when their attendence is lowest. We almost always go on the weekend when it's jambed. But since we often have annual memberships, we don't worry if the crowd is a bit heavy at the smaller exhibits. We can see them on another trip.

If you can't see spending the money, there are a lot of neat things to see in Baltimore. But if it's possible, I go to the aquarium.

Are you serious? I lived there 11 years and I still haven't done everything I want to in Baltimore. I keep telling my dh we need to go back as tourists.

Yes, I was serious. :001_smile: Maybe because we lived in Philly for so many years, Baltimore seems to not have as many "big" things to offer. Glad you enjoy it, though!

Ditto - no strollers. There are these moving walkways so they don't allow strollers. They will lend you a backpack carrier if you need it. I haven't been in 5 years, but I think the big habitat they were working on is finished now, so DEFINITELY worth it. I say it's worth it just for the dolphin show.

Mmmm... well, I don't think there is much else "big" to be done in Baltimore, is there? :001_smile: I do think that the Baltimore Aquarium is overpriced pretty significantly. It is a decent museum, but the prices are just a bit much for the quality of the exhibits, imo. The only time we go is when we can find a very good discount. The kids do enjoy it, though. The dolphin show is fun.

I get sticker shock at all aquariums. I think they are expensive to maintain. Do you have an aquarium you think is "worth the price"? Love to hear about one...