Menu

Since we do not have a schoolroom...I NEED a school table...any recs??

Mommyfaithe

I can't stand doing schoolwork in the kitchen...and I find my kids just can't get serious about school WORK on the recliner. Besides...seeing them sprawled out drives me nuts.:D

I need a table ...maybe with storage....easily moved...where bigger kids can use chairs...or any other solutions for lots of kids...very small house.

I need a place to have school...a nook...or something, but I definitely need a table they can sit at...any great ideas from the hive mind?

Thanks,

Faithe...who is getting her homeschool umph back

How about one like this: http://www.schoolfurniture2go.com/product/IBA042/60-in-x-30-in-Activity-Table-by-Virco.aspx

Be careful about the folding tables, because many have a textured top that is hard to write on and hard to clean compared to a smooth top. I have one of those folding ones from Walmart and a couple of the plastic ones from the office supply store. They're fine for puzzles and sewing on, but for schoolwork the texture is a problem. It makes their writing wobble, and the cracks are hard to get paint out of.

I have a table like the one above, just a different size, and it's a dream, exactly what you want for school work. It has a high density laminate top and adjustable legs. We started using it in K5 and have used it all the way up, letting it grow with her. If you want to work on both sides, get 30" wide, not 24". I have not ordered from the link above. I just googled to find one like I have. If the place is legit, it certainly seems like a good price. You can google high density laminate school table adjustable leg (if that's important to you) and find plenty of options. I ended up getting mine from a local school supply place that had an overstock/2nds area. A ding or the wrong color for a school didn't bug me, lol! I even got a rolly teacher's chair there. Rolly chairs are really nice to go with your table, and they don't have to be expensive. My dd's was like $15 on clearance at Staples. They make a juvenile size, aimed at college kids, that is smaller than adults, just right for our kids.

You can also find laminate tables at your office supply store. They'll have both kind, the plastic and the laminate, so you can decide for yourself. The school kind don't have the ouchy skirt around the underside and usually have adjustable legs. The office supply ones have the same quality high density laminate top, meaning paint will wipe right off, but are sometimes less expensive, especially on sale. Either type is very nice. I think I've even seen those office supply laminate top tables down to like $50, so that would be a good deal! Just check around and see what you can find.

We've been having recliner school because of nursing the baby so much, but I think I'm with you, that it's going to be time soon to transition back to our regular formality! The handwriting isn't quite as good on the floor, haha...

BTW, you can fit the 3-stack plastic drawers under your table, no problem. If it's a folding table, you'll have less room because of the angled supports, but you can still store some. With a school table, you'll have total room, because it's just 4 straight legs. Those suckers are HEAVY!

What about something like this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40089000

We have this table for our dining room table, but we have a similar one that's smaller that we use for school. The sides fold down and it's only about 1 foot by 3 feet. The IKEA table is bigger, meant to seat 8 as opposed to 6 and folding down to about 16" x 40". We got our school table used from a second hand shop, so I can't recommend where to get the same table, but maybe you could keep your eyes open for something similar.

If you have an IKEA nearby I would definitely suggest going there to look at the many options. They have tons of ideas and most are very affordable. Some are foldable, some have drawers, and some are adjustable (like drafting tables).

Look in the tables and desk sections.

We found a great table there that we use as a desk/table for only $30. It has a shelf below that I can sit storage boxes on too.

Here's a few options:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69831118

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20104718

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103677

How about you hunt some thrift stores or garage sales or the like for one of those farm style tables that were so popular 10-15 years ago. Typically wood finish top with painted legs and chairs to match. That way a vinyl table cloth would fit at craft time, smooth enough for writing and cheap enough to not worry about markers, glue etc.

I don't have a specific table in mind, but I would suggest a round table. It takes up less space than a retangular table and more kids can sit at it. I can easily fit 6 chairs around my 6 foot table. If it were square it would be a bit harder. We use the center for our book and paper pile and it isn't in anyone's way. It is very functional.

carly

I actually found a library table at an estate sale. You should check the want ads, etc. We also have a table similar to the one OhElizabeth had a link to.

I have to say, even though we HAVE those tables, my dc usually do their schoolwork on the living room floor!

I'll post one. If we had the space and money I would seriously consider this. There was an article online about a month ago (lost where it came from) that was supporting stand up desks for kids. They get to wiggle around and the children that use them seem to do better. Now, they also put stools with the desks so kids can sit if they want too. The thing under the table is a foot rest that swings!

http://www.ergoindemand.com/school-desk-standup-desk.htm

Happy shopping!

I'll post one. If we had the space and money I would seriously consider this. There was an article online about a month ago (lost where it came from) that was supporting stand up desks for kids. They get to wiggle around and the children that use them seem to do better. Now, they also put stools with the desks so kids can sit if they want too. The thing under the table is a foot rest that swings!

http://www.ergoindemand.com/school-desk-standup-desk.htm

Happy shopping!

OH MY GOSH!!! This would have been a dream for my 14 yo when he was little. We always just let him stand...and when he had to sit, we used a hippity hop...(kid sized yoga ball w/ a handle.) This kid learned latin while jumping on the couch and doing pull ups!! LOL I think this is a dream come true for my 5 year old....I am definitely going to consider something like this...thanks for the link!

Faithe

Call your local school district and ask to speak to whomever is in charge of their warehouse. Ask that person if they have any tables for sale. You could hit the jackpot and find something nice and sturdy, but no longer needed, for a song.

A friend of mine did this and got solid oak school tables (about 6 of them!) for $10 each. She also got solid wooden chairs for next to nothing. Schools don't care who they sell to and you could find some other treasures, too, such as storage cabinets and such. My friend also got an old library card catalog and uses it for storing office and school supplies.

Can't hurt to call! Worst they can say is they don't have anything.

I agree with the school district idea. We called a friend that is a principal and asked if they had any they were done with. We got a desk and chair for free!! My dd5 loves it!!! So does my dd2, so we've started asking around for another one!

Seriously, they are usually in great shape, whatever you get from them. You have already bought them once technically. :)

And now is a great time to hit them up because they are getting ready to rid themselves of whatever is being replaced.

I've been using a six foot folding table since I began. It's a heavy one, but they now have out the plastic topped ones that are very light and easy to move around. My table folds in half in the middle and fastens shut for transporting and storage. I haven't often had to take it down, but that feature is a handy one.

I use it as a partner's desk, with chairs opposite and diagonal from each other. I got padded, folding chairs to use at the desk. We do most of our written work there, although we still read on the couch (or in bed, LOL).....

How about one like this: http://www.schoolfurniture2go.com/product/IBA042/60-in-x-30-in-Activity-Table-by-Virco.aspx

Be careful about the folding tables, because many have a textured top that is hard to write on and hard to clean compared to a smooth top. I have one of those folding ones from Walmart and a couple of the plastic ones from the office supply store. They're fine for puzzles and sewing on, but for schoolwork the texture is a problem. It makes their writing wobble, and the cracks are hard to get paint out of.

I have a table like the one above, just a different size, and it's a dream, exactly what you want for school work. It has a high density laminate top and adjustable legs.

Yes, the folding tables you see everywhere have textured tops. Not good for writing. These activity tables ARE a dream. I have one as well. I even was able to replace my original legs with longer legs. Your kids could stand on these and not wreck them. They weigh alot but are really indestructable. I bought mine from here:

http://busy-kids.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BK&Category_Code=kids-table-rectangle

the Mahar table and was able (like I mentioned) to replace my shorter legs with the taller ones. It was so easy to replace them. Definitely worth the money. We also had bought the chairs, but it was easier to use the cheaper office chairs that you can regulate height with from Walmart or whatever. Then they can use office chairs as they grow taller too and you'll spend less.