Menu

Where can I find Alum?

And don't say in the spice section, please. I have been to three grocery stores today and called the Walmart pharmacy.

Could it possibly be called something else?

Why can't I find this stuff?

Jo

What are you going to do with alum?

Styptic pencils are often made of alum (in the form of aluminum sulfate).

Bill

I'm guessing you want it for pickles of some sort?

Try calling your cooperative extension or agricultural extension office (look in the government pages of the phone book if it's like it is here). There will likely be someone there who can help you.

This site (National Center for Home Food Preservation) has pickle recipes which don't contain alum and doesn't recommend using alum at all in pickles anyway (may be easier to switch recipes than put this much energy into finding the alum)

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/prep_foods.html

Try calling your cooperative extension or agricultural extension office (look in the government pages of the phone book if it's like it is here). There will likely be someone there who can help you.

This site (National Center for Home Food Preservation) has pickle recipes which don't contain alum and doesn't recommend using alum at all in pickles anyway (may be easier to switch recipes than put this much energy into finding the alum)

I keep telling the people in the stores, "it is for pickling" and they give me blank stares. No one seems to know what this stuff is.

Jo

Here I thought she was going to try to make gold :lol:

Bill

Some sort of science experiment crap! ;) Darn homeschooling! I think it is a crystal growing thing.

My son gives me a list and I oblige.

Jo

I don't want to make it more complicated by I think there are different types of "alum".

Do you have what's called a "compounding pharmacy" in your area?

Some sort of science experiment crap! ;) Darn homeschooling! I think it is a crystal growing thing.

My son gives me a list and I oblige.

Jo

Would he be willing to switch to growing borax, salt, epsom salt or sugar crystals instead? The materials are easier to find.

And don't say in the spice section, please. I have been to three grocery stores today and called the Walmart pharmacy.

Jo

You can have the McCormick alum I have in my spice cabinet. I haven't the foggiest idea why I own the stuff!

Good luck finding some or a substitute!

Chelle

You can have the McCormick alum I have in my spice cabinet. I haven't the foggiest idea why I own the stuff!

Good luck finding some or a substitute!

Chelle

I actually did find it at the grocery store. I wonder if it would be with the canning supplies rather than the actual spices. I got it a long time ago so I don't remember what section it was in.

I used it to grow crystals in 9th grade. We bought it at a Rite-aid, but this was 25 years ago. Other than crystal growing, I have no idea what you use it for. If you can't find it and it's just for crystal growing, you can substitute salt but it takes longer for the crystals to grow. (See I did learn something in 9th grade Earth Science!)

Good luck!

Jo

Try Longs or Don Quioxte. You might also try a natural foods store. I know there is a smallish one in the shopping center behind Cutter Ford on Kam Hwy.

Or an odd idea, would a crack seed store have it to make things like dried, pickled plums?