Menu

What food would you bring to this event?

My dd has a piano recital on Sunday night at 5 p.m.

It will probably run until about 7 p.m., with a time of visiting afterwards.

The piano teacher mentioned that it would be helpful if I'd bring some food, something like cheese and crackers, or cookies, etc.

I'm thinking that there's likely to be some really hungry people there, and I want to bring food that still fits within the parameters of light finger-food, would fit in with cheese & crackers and cookies that other people will bring, but will be a bit hearty (for those who may be starving to death by that time!). I don't want to be odd, but I'm willing to bet that the visiting will go better if the very hungry folks can take the edge off of that, kwim?

What can I make that won't seem like "too much" but will still be filling?

ETA: My sister says deviled eggs are a good compromise, as would be little quiche appetizers (I have a recipe I like) and that both of those things don't have to be served super-hot or super-cold. The eggs would be fine in a cooler, the quiche would be fine in my insulated dish carrier thingy. What do you think?

Edited by Julie in CA

I like the little quiche idea. I like it very much, and now I am thinking about using it for our next recital, when the teacher schedules it for 5 p.m. and asks everyone to bring cookies and my children won't eat dinner after eating cookies at 6:30. Craziness.

I was originally thinking tea sandwiches but quiches are probably easier. Or maybe tortilla rollups? You know the kind where you put a filling on the tortilla (ham, cream cheese, green chiles, whatever) then roll it up and slice it into rounds? Those are easiest of all.

Do you have a Costco nearby? For things like this, I love their pre-made turkey rolls... are they called pinwheels? It's turkey, cream cheese, lettuce, tomato rolled up in a tortilla wrap and then sliced into finger food type sandwiches. Yummy!

(Possibly easy to make at home? I don't know... haven't tried.)

ETA: Posting at same time syndrome

Edited by Mekanamom

I like the little quiche idea. Or maybe tortilla rollups? You know the kind where you put a filling on the tortilla (ham, cream cheese, green chiles, whatever) then roll it up and slice it into rounds? Those are easiest of all.

There was a family that brought these to dd's recitals for years. They were always eaten immediately! In fact, I think she skipped the tortilla--spread cream cheese on ham, roll it up, and cut into pinwheels. The kids devoured them, and many years later, they still remember them.

Whatever you bring, rest assured it'll be "out of the range of normal" ~ maybe even "alien food" ~ for some folks.

:D

Side note: Less than a week until take off. wOOt! (A true sign of living vicariously. I'm counting down the days until a friend ~ and a cyber-friend at that! ~ goes on her European vacation.:tongue_smilie: Did I already ask you to send me a postcard?;))