Menu

Researching Sonlight

Elizabeth TN

I am 90% sure I am homeschooling my two oldest kids next year (bringing them home from public school). I am looking at the Sonlight curriculum because I also have two toddlers and this looks like it has everything planned out for you. I guess my question is, is it worth the money? We don't have just a whole lot to spend, but if it does what it says it does, then I think it would probably be worth it. Advice? Opinions? Thanks!

I think it's worth it. :001_smile:

We have used Cores P3/4, P4/5, K and now Core 1. They are such a great fit for our family. The books are wonderful and my girls look forward to school every day. I really like having the IG take all of the scheduling out of my hands (although now that I've read TWTM, I'm slightly shifting things around for my oldest).

If money is tight, you can buy Sonlight used in a variety of places. Some people even get all the books at their local library. We are able to buy our cores directly from Sonlight, which is a blessing. The company has fabulous customer service and an excellent return policy.

I love Sonlight! :D

I think it's worth it--you get some really wonderful books for your library! Of course, you have to realize that there are some things that you have to add in or schedule (like math or electives) even if you use SL LA and Science along with the Core (you may want to try to figure out if you want to use SL for all of them or not).

As far as doing what it says it does, make sure that you read their Reasons NOT to Buy Sonlight.

eta: we've used P3/4, 3, 4, half of 5, and parts of K

get a print catalog, I have one and I still found the website hard to navigate.

I just started doing the Language Arts 2, kind of at a weird time, but that is where I am at with my 3 youngest right now. I only ordered the Instructor's guide, 2 readers that my library doesn't have, the rest I am using the library for.

I am hoping to get a whole complete package for next year, it just seems easier to have it all.

It is very well planned out and well written.

We love it.

One caution though: Cores are not grade levels! You may want to think about using Core 1 for your oldest two. It is a great core, and we are doing it with mine, stretching it to cover 3rd and 1st grade.

If you have a good home library and access to a good public library, you may only need to buy the IG and history books if you are trying to save money. We are doing that for this year, but I am seriously thinking about just buying the whole thing from Sonlight next time.

Good luck!

We've bought 5 Cores from Sonlight and we have really enjoyed them all! If you don't have a whole lot to spend, you could just buy the Instructor's Guide, which lays everything out for you, and use the library to get the books. It's much more of a hassle than just pulling books off your shelf, but if you want to save money, you could definitely do it that way. Since we will be reusing Cores for all the kids, I have rationalized the cost and it has been worth it for us.

HTH!

:iagree: with previous poster who said to get the print catalog; this makes it much easier to wrap your mind around all the different cores and what would be a good fit for your children. Sonlight has great customer service and an outstanding return policy; you can buy a core, use it for 18 wks. and if it just isn't you, send it all back for a full refund. The choice of books, etc., is very good, and you can customize easily. We've enjoyed tweaking SL to fit us, and are glad that the IG lays it all out for those days when I want/need some hand holding. It has been worth the money for our family, especially since I have four that will use the material.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people who tried SL and couldn't do it. My DD hated the fictional readers (boring) and most of the read alouds. She is very visual. Some people find that their DC actually retain much more from a program with less reading. A lot of the books are very emotional with a lot of death.

Some people love it and attribute their cozy homeschool and children's love of literature to SL. I just wanted to give you fair warning.

Heart of Dakota and Winterpromise also have everything scheduled for you, but seem more do-able to me.

I am 90% sure I am homeschooling my two oldest kids next year (bringing them home from public school). I am looking at the Sonlight curriculum because I also have two toddlers and this looks like it has everything planned out for you. I guess my question is, is it worth the money? We don't have just a whole lot to spend, but if it does what it says it does, then I think it would probably be worth it. Advice? Opinions? Thanks!

I am currently hsing my 2nd grader and my K daughter is in public school. Next year I'll be hsing both girls and we will be using SL Core I for History. I purchased the IG used and have found a majority of the books at our local used book store from $.50-$2.00. I also purchased some on Amazon with the buy 3 get 1 free promotion. I'll purchase the rest from SL.

OH - and I completely agree about getting a print copy of the catalog. Oh how I love when it arrives at my house. Looking forward to the new one, next month I think.

I can't say enough good things about Sonlight. While it is a lot of reading, the books are the kind that draw you in and the kids end up yelling..."read some more". Even the older kids. You can tweak your schedule by reading the read alouds at night before bed, or if the child isn't a strong reader, you can read their reader out loud for them. The instructors guides are wonderful in laying out a schedule and you can choose to do all or none of the activities, questions, etc. We have not used their science or language arts yet though. I think we may use their younger grade science next year. The high school levels use Apologia which we have used. I think it is really worth the cost as long as you can afford it. They also have a payment plan or you can just buy the instructors guides and go to the library or used book stores, etc. Hope that helps.

I think it is totally worth it. We did Core C last year and we are LOVING Core 1 this year. We also read many of the Pre-K titles because I couldn't stand to miss them. My favorite thing is the read alouds. They pick books I might not otherwise pick, but we have truly loved the majority of them. I think they are a wonderful company with a great product.

Suzanne

We love sonlight. I didnt buy any of there newcomer cores as I dont think they give you enough variety. I purchased core 1 and core 4 this year. I imagine you would be closer to core 1 or lower with your younger kids.

Pretty much you have to take the amount of kids that use the core and divide the cost into that. So really the price becomes a lot cheaper. Then...you figure when you are done with it...you resell it. You can resell your core for 50% and up pretty much and then take that price and divide it over your number of kids to figure out the true cost per kid. It could work out cheaper then using other curriculums.

You can also get the books at the library...but it becomes a headache when you cant get the books in time, or take them back late and have to pay fines. I know I did that last year and I had to wait months for a few books on hold and some never came.

As far as all the other courses....You can use any curriculum you like. I used SL LA this year but I have mixed feelings. It is a nice program, but we added abeka la to it for more grammar. They are a lot cheaper and easy to follow without guides in the lower grades.... Some books that are really great had been:

Abeka Language

Abeka Math, Singapore Math

Apologia Science if you want to study one topic all year (christian based)

or

SL science changes topics all year

IEW writing was wonderful for my 8yo this year. She loves it.(If your dd likes to write)

Story of the world is wonderful ...even as a stand alone history! (it is also a lot cheaper)

writing with Abeka or HWT

We added Explode the code for phonics this year...those are fun.

and my 8yo is using Wordly Wise 2 and Mind Benders Logic A

We love Sonlight. Even when we are using other curricula, we still fit in all the SL books that we can. The Instructor's Guide, the schedule, the narration and vocabulary assignments, the timeline book, the markable map... it makes it so easy for me. My boys have loved every book. It is never ever boring and the children always want more.

Some questions to ask yourself...

Do I want to start in World History, or American History?

Are my children more visual learners, or auditory? Do they enjoy seeing pictures of historical people, places, things...or do they just like to hear about them, read about them?

Are my children crafty? Do they love doing crafts, building boats, canoes, moccasins, coloring pictures, making their own history books, etc. Or are they happier reading and being read too?

If your children are happy and can learn from reading alone, and being read too...then SL will fit them perfectly. If they want more hands on, and enjoy a lot of pictures, then SL will get weary. After using eight SL Cores I must tell you that to get the very most from SL your children MUST be auditory learners. Most of their history will be read TO them, and many of the books have zero pictures to look at. The only reading your children do with SL is their Lit readers...the rest is designed for the parent to read TO the child.

Now, after public school they are probably going to love anything you choose because it will be so very different. But be aware of their learning styles and what fits them best. If you have a visual learner who cannot mentally picture or grasp what you are reading, then using only SL will be a disservice to him. I am a very visual learner. To get the most out of something I have to SEE it, even if it's just words on paper. If someone had used SL with me as a child I could NOT have learned from it, and I probably wouldn't have cared. :lol: Even today, if my dh tries to read me something, I cannot grasp what he is reading unless I follow along in the book. If you are set on SL, be SURE you do not have a child such as myself. :tongue_smilie:

There are other pick-up-and-go curriculum out there besides SL. WP being one of the most visually appealing with a lot of varied history books and activity books. WP is VERY open and go and even includes a children's schedule all made out for them each week.

As another poster mentioned, you'll not want to choose your SL cores as grade levels. With the ages of your dc, I would most definitely go with Core 1. But if *I* had it to do all over again, I would use WP American Story 1 for my youngest who is a visual AND auditory learner. We used a combo of American Story 2/SL Core 4 and he LOVED the WP History book choices far and above any SL had to offer. He did read most of the Core 4 readers though as I had them on-hand and did not want to purchase the WP set. SL picks great Literature...in that respect you cannot go wrong with SL. ;)

Hope I have helped and not confused. :tongue_smilie: I pray you find the best fit for your dc...whatever that may be. :)

Edited by Melissa in CA
I'm a moron. :-)

Core 1 sounds like it would be the best fit, but I wouldn't buy the new comers package. SL LA is not great. It expects way too much creative writing without enough instruction. You would need individual LA's anyway if you are using a core with 2 dc.

Core 1 History/Bible/Read Alouds, do not have ANY written work. It is to be discussed with your dc. Are you ok with that? If not and you still want to use SL, do History Pockets Ancients, or notebooking along with the SL History. If you decide to notebook here are some resources Notebookingpages.com ancients, Notebooking nook and http://www.historyscribe.com/hs-historyscribe.htm.

What writing program were your dc using in ps? If they were using Denelian (letters with little hooks at the end), Getty-Dubay Italic might be a better fit. It they used a more traditional looking style like Zaner-Bloser, Handwriting Without Tears or A Reason for Writing would be a good fit.

What math were they using in ps? It they were using Everyday Math you may need to start with a lower grade level math (I hate to say that, but it is true). Singapore math is one grade level ahead of us (Singapore student start Singapore 1 at 7 years old). You might be able to use RightStart B with you dc together. Miquon could be done together, also. Saxon Math is a great program, but I would only do the front of the work sheet and not the back. Save the back for the second child. Saxon has too much busy work. Saxon has a placement test. I can't help you with Horizons, I have never used it.

Have they had any phonics? How well do they read? If they are reading well and have not had phonics, I would suggest a phonics based spelling program. If they are struggling with reading, start with something like Phonics Pathways that is not grade based and go as fast as they can.

SL readers are great! Just find the level they need.

Sonlight has way more read alouds than other curriculums and takes more time overall. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect to pull it off your first year of homeschooling with 2 toddlers. It is also heavy on literature with rich vocabulary and no pictures. Would kids that are currently in PS be ready to get used to that?

I would focus on the three R's. Keep science and history very simple for your first year. Maybe get only the experiments from SL, or get a science program and skip history all together. Or go with FIAR, Heart of Dakota, or WP that won't have such a heavy schedule. Or get a combined one year program (SL 1+2) but plan to stretch it out over two school years.

I have one toddler, and we can only handle science or history, not both, and lighter programs at that. I would hate to see you feel like a failure just because you planned too much to begin with KWIM?

I am with Melissa.

Personally I adore SL, but my kids all wanted hands on even my auditory learner, and my 2nd dd is very sensitive, so Mary on Horseback in Core K would be too much for her, Mountain Born from Core 1 she couldn't handle. Plus it was just too much history. History is the least important subject in my book, and to be spending the amount of time SL schedules daily between readers, read alouds and history books, was just too much.

Now I read aloud during lunch for about 15 mins. The oldest two map one or two places a day, and my 3rd dd one. My oldest does a little timeline work. The oldest two cover literature and I do assign extra independent history reading for my oldest. That is about it. I do some history RA's but we also might do something unrelated, or something more science based. When under a time crunch we don't have to do any and it doesn't throw our schedule off. :D

It was after leaving SL that I had the time to move to more time intensive programs for the basics, math and LA. When I was using SL I just didn't have the time for them. Now math and LA are our main focus, with science behind that and history last.

Thus I now have a pack with my best friend that after our kids leave the nest, we will go through SL core by core together. Like me she adores SL, but it doesn't work out practically in her home either.

Heather

We just finish, SL Core K & Science K, and we LOVE SL! However, we will be taking a break and waiting a while till we do SL 1. I should have listen to advise that said, choose a Core that is one or two grade levels below your children. Dd7 could easily move on, but it is too soon for dd5 to move onto SL 1 (even though she has enjoyed SL K, the read-aloud are her favorite part). I really should have started with P4/5, (we will be using some P4/5 books while I do my own thing in the mean time). I already have Core 1 & Science 1, I'm just waiting till we're ready for it.

So my suggestions are:

1. Choose Core 2, (possibly 1) for the ages of your children.

2.Get a catalog.

3. If you feel safer the first years, go ahead and bye it directly. However, If you really want to save money bye USED. I did this with Core & Sc. 1, and I wish I would have done it for K. I mostly used these forums, and spent less than half, of what I would've spent. I purchased almost everything needed. There is maybe a handful of readers and read-alouds that that I will get from the library.

4. IMO, only go with the Core, Science, Readers that are on your dc's levels, and maybe math. I do not recommend the Language Arts at all; there is definately not enough instruction, and it jumps all over the place. This is the reason we use Phonics Pathways and Rod & Staff English. SL math choices are ok, we just prefer Math-U-See.

5. Read the Read-Alouds at night before bed. I tried to read them durring the day along with everything else, and it was hard to get it all done. Plus, my dds listen so much better at night, because they are calm. We love Read-Aloud time.

6. Have your kids narrate (tell back to you what was just read in their own words) or answer questions after History, Science, and sometimes Read -Alouds. I write down their narrations or answers as they do this. It really helps me know what they have learned, even though SL has no tests.

Edited by coralloyd

A lot of the books are very emotional with a lot of death

I have found this to be true in the older cores. I have to pre-read and make a decision on each book.

I find SL to be time consuming and I am a 5th year homeschooler. We will not be sticking with it next year. I have used My Father's World curriculum in the past and it is much more manageable. I am using Five in a Row with my younger dd this year and it, too, is very manageable.

As a new homeschooler it will take a little while to figure out how your dc learn best. I would only use SL if I could find it used and borrow books from the library. That way you are not out a lot of $$ if it isn't a good fit for the kids.

Just my differing 2 cents:001_smile:

We love it.

One caution though: Cores are not grade levels! You may want to think about using Core 1 for your oldest two. It is a great core, and we are doing it with mine, stretching it to cover 3rd and 1st grade.

If you have a good home library and access to a good public library, you may only need to buy the IG and history books if you are trying to save money. We are doing that for this year, but I am seriously thinking about just buying the whole thing from Sonlight next time.

Good luck!

:iagree:

Cores are not grade levels! I did not realize this until I received my Core K and LA 1 in the mail. My daughter will be 5 in April, and we have been working on it for 5 weeks (well, we're getting ready to start the 6th). She is ahead on the reading and we could jump ahead 3/4 of the way and let her start the reading there, but we would miss out on the awesome writing and spelling exercises along the way, so we have not jumped ahead that far. But I would say that there are some books that are not appropriate for my 5 year old. For example, we started The Apple and the Arrow and it was so boring that we were both near tears, and we just tossed it aside (not literally) and decide to read the second book in the Boxcar Children series. :) I'm really glad we made our own decision on this! Also, the stores from Hero Tales are boring for my dd, so I have found that I have to read them myself and retell them to her. Also, the questions on the Science worksheets are just too hard for her to answer alone, so we do our readings and then answer them together. I do not regret buying Core K for her, but I am glad that I realized that I do not need to follow it by the book because some of it, she is just not ready for.

Hope this helped! :)

Didn't read all...just wanted to say I think Sonlight does a *great* job at teaching the teacher how to teach. Even tho' I now use pretty strict WTM for history/lit, I do a much better job because SL taught me how to cover so many different areas while reading *one* book. (I know, this probably doesn't make sense to you now, but hopefully you will try it, and then you'll know what I mean - LOL!)

Yes, it is worth the money. If money is tight, try getting the teacher's manual for the core program and checking the books themselves out of the library. Most of the books are pretty easy to come by.

However, if you don't like Usborne books, you won't like the Science for K-2 and 3rd grade science is mostly based out of a really dry text book. I did not like the grammar program, but I have heard they revised it dramatically. For History Sonlight is the best!

I also love the Veritas program. Veritas will err towards being a little dry and Sonlight will err towards being a little sappy, so I always say that if a book is on both lists (and there are a LOT that are) then it's a guaranteed winner. The theory hasn't failed me yet.

Oh, and Sonlight's theology is very Protestant, which rubs wrong for the Eastern Christian/ Roman Christian lurking in me.

Another GREAT literature based program that takes about half the time (and much less than half the money!) than Sonlight is Heart of Dakota. I am using two different programs at once , plus have a wild 2yo running around and still am done well before lunch. It is classsical/charlotte mason, and it is very effective for cementing learning. You could come over to the HOD boards and ask questions of those that have switched from Sonlight for a good comparison.

HOD covers EVERYTHING...no need to go to the library unless you prefer to get books for the library...plenty of chances to even just use books you already have for much of it. I got all of my K and 3rd stuff (including all the extras-- history, sci., phonics, reading, math, language arts, geography, etc....plus our foreign language we've added and other personal add ons) and I spent LESS than $500.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people who tried SL and couldn't do it. My DD hated the fictional readers (boring) and most of the read alouds. She is very visual. Some people find that their DC actually retain much more from a program with less reading. A lot of the books are very emotional with a lot of death.

Some people love it and attribute their cozy homeschool and children's love of literature to SL. I just wanted to give you fair warning.

Heart of Dakota and Winterpromise also have everything scheduled for you, but seem more do-able to me.

Gosh, I'm wracking my brain and too tired to go look at my SL cores right now, but I'm not sure I agree about there being a lot of death in the books. There are only a few books that come to mind where someone died but I don't want to say specifically in case it's a spoiler for someone. Anyway, I did not find a lot of death to be the case personally. (In Core K, 1, 3+4, 6, and 7; I haven't done the other cores yet). Emotional is not necessarily bad, it depends on the kids and parents. My oldest ds and I have special memories of when I read Little Britches, an emotional book. He still talks about that book.

I do agree that a visual learner might need either supplementation of books with pictures or a different curriculum. My 8 yr old is very visual and not auditory. He's doing well with Core 1. I have added in a bunch of related books with pictures, but the Usborne books used in Core 1 and 2 have a lot of pictures and he's retaining a lot from those. When he gets to core 3, I'll either add in books with pics or use Winter Promise. It's good for him to practice listening too, as long as that's not the sole way he's receiving info. I've found it easy to add hands-on to SL for him so far.

I think SL is a great curriculum.

Gosh, I'm wracking my brain and too tired to go look at my SL cores right now, but I'm not sure I agree about there being a lot of death in the books.

Mountain Born did my sensitive child in.

She didn't like most of the Core K RA's, but she tolerated them (she doesn't like suspense either, so Ten and Twenty, Family Under the Bridge, Apple and the Arrow...she didn't like any of them).

When she reached Core 1 she started to show some interest, then when we hit Mountain Born she loved it. Then we hit the end, and she never wanted to do another RA again till we switched to WP, it so upset her.

I know just the amount of books that start out with someone having already died: Boxcar Children, Family Under the Bridge, The Hundred Dresses, The Light at Tern Rock, Mary on Horseback. Those just from Core K. They are all great books, with good morals to them, but that is a lot for a sensitive child to deal with. As for death in the story line...I can't remember a lot of those till Core 3 during the revolutionary war books and then into Core 4 with the civil war books.

But in the end I don't think it is all about the death issue. SL states they choose books to elicit an emotional response. It is what I adore about them as an adult (even through I cry), but for a child who is easily overwhelmed (if you have one of those who cries when they do something wrong, even something little, and who cries when their siblings get in trouble as well in sympathy) then SL is just a bit too much.

Heather

Edited by siloam

Thank you for the great explanation Heather! :)

I went through the Sonlight website and read the reviews of the books. I only bought about half of them due to the reviews, but DD just isn't into SL read alouds much at all. She is way too visual. Which is why I went with FIAR. Picture books make great read alouds and there is so much to learn from them.

Mountain Born did my sensitive child in.

She didn't like most of the Core K RA's, but she tolerated them (she doesn't like suspense either, so Ten and Twenty, Family Under the Bridge, Apple and the Arrow...she didn't like any of them).

When she reached Core 1 she started to show some interest, then when we hit Mountain Born she loved it. Then we hit the end, and she never wanted to do another RA again till we switched to WP, it so upset her.

I know just the amount of books that start out with someone having already died: Boxcar Children, Family Under the Bridge, The Hundred Dresses, The Light at Tern Rock, Mary on Horseback. Those just from Core K. They are all great books, with good morals to them, but that is a lot for a sensitive child to deal with. As for death in the story line...I can't remember a lot of those till Core 3 during the revolutionary war books and then into Core 4 with the civil war books.

But in the end I don't think it is all about the death issue. SL states they choose books to elicit an emotional response. It is what I adore about them as an adult (even through I cry), but for a child who is easily overwhelmed (if you have one of those who cries when they do something wrong, even something little, and who cries when their siblings get in trouble as well in sympathy) then SL is just a bit too much.

Heather

Oh I'm not disagreeing that they pick emotional books, which can be good for some kids in some instances and bad for others. (My dd is so sensitive that Encyclopedia Brown was too suspenseful for her :001_huh:, so I know what you're talking about with sensitive children and I did personally skip some of the books for her.)

Mountain Born is one I was thinking of, where it's a sheep that dies. Boxcar Children and the like aren't books I personally consider to have death- it's not detailed or described in the book, the kids are just orphans when it starts. One of the kids says his parents are dead when asked where they are, but you know I don't think my kids even tuned in to that.

The part I was addressing is if there's "a lot of death" like lovedtodeath stated. Death is just a reality in war, not sure how you can get to some of the older cores and avoid that if you're talking about war. There was nothing graphic that I can recall in any core 3 + 4 book, I haven't done those core seperately yet.

But a lot it depends on the child and their age, like you said.

The part I was addressing is if there's "a lot of death" like lovedtodeath stated. Death is just a reality in war, not sure how you can get to some of the older cores and avoid that if you're talking about war.
I could have stated that better. I am glad that Heather clarified. Some people have had problems with too much death in the American Story programs from WP. You stated correctly, where there is war, there is death.

Sonlight is what originally drew me to homeschooling and it's still the highlight of our day. It's been my choice for history for these past 8 years, and it's been well worth the money. I don't find SL particularly time-consuming. On the contrary, when I took a short break from SL and tried, out of curiousity, to pursue history a la TWTM, I invested far more time. As well, neither I nor my children have ever found the books to be more than we can handle, emotionally; one certainly needn't be insensitive in order to appreciate the literature.

Let me know if you have specific questions, or PM me if you'd rather. This next week is particularly busy for me, though, so hold tight if I don't get back to you immediately.:)

Edited by Colleen

We tried SL and found it overwhelming...not in too much work, rather too much emotion. My kids are older though, it may be fine at the lower levels. We switched to Winterpromise and we are sooooooooo much happier! my ds has blossomed with WP Sea and Sky. I cannot believe the quality of the work he is producing.

How are your kids? SL is too much for many sensitive souls. Also there is no 'fun' stuff. WP is full of hands on crafty stuff. If you dc are readers who can cope with deep issues then SL will fit you down to the ground. If your dc are sensitive, crafty people then go to WP.

Now, after public school they are probably going to love anything you choose because it will be so very different. But be aware of their learning styles and what fits them best. If you have a visual learner who cannot mentally picture or grasp what you are reading, then using only SL will be a disservice to him. I am a very visual learner. To get the most out of something I have to SEE it, even if it's just words on paper. If someone had used SL with me as a child I could NOT have learned from it, and I probably wouldn't have cared. :lol: Even today, if my dh tries to read me something, I cannot grasp what he is reading unless I follow along in the book. If you are set on SL, be SURE you do not have a child such as myself. :tongue_smilie:

I'm the same way- very visual, I can't remember lectures and I have a hard time following audiobooks. Still, I read many of the books that are recommended in Sonlight when I was young, and just adored them. I think if you can adapt the curriculum for visual learners (and good readers) to read more of the books themselves, they will do better, even if you have to introduce the books much later. One of my teachers (4th grade) spent an hour reading to us every day with several of the Sonlight recommendations as well- I read them again on my own and retained so much more after doing this.

Some questions to ask yourself...Are my children more visual learners, or auditory? Do they enjoy seeing pictures of historical people, places, things...or do they just like to hear about them, read about them?

This is very simplistic, imo. Most of us, to one extent or another, like seeing pictures. The fact that we're also able to enjoy learning without a constant stream of visuals doesn't necessarily mean we "just" like hearing or reading about events, people, and places.

After using eight SL Cores I must tell you that to get the very most from SL your children MUST be auditory learners...If you have a visual learner who cannot mentally picture or grasp what you are reading, then using only SL will be a disservice to him. I am a very visual learner. To get the most out of something I have to SEE it, even if it's just words on paper.

I do understand where you're coming from Melissa, and I don't want to argue with your voice of experience. Having used just as many Cores, though, I have to disagree with what I again believe is an oversimplification. Perhaps it's because I resist this entire notion of labeling one's learning style. Such thinking is far too black and white, imo.

Am I visual learner? Yes. I dislike audio books. I'd rather read how to do something than be provided verbal instructions. Telling me driving directions is far less helpful than simply writing them down. And so on. From what I can tell thus far, these things are true of my boys, too. My oldest in particular takes after me in this respect. And yet none of that has had any bearing on his ability (or my other children's ability) to fully appreciate and benefit from Sonlight.

Most of us, to one extent or another, like seeing pictures. The fact that we're also able to enjoy learning without a constant stream of visuals doesn't necessarily mean we "just" like hearing or reading about events, people, and places.

Yes, very true. I think perhaps you took my meaning too literally though and perhaps my word choices were not well thought out. I'm afraid I just type...I don't over analyze my every word. I also don't believe I said that one needs a "constant stream of visuals" either. Did I say that? I surely don't recall it if I did. :confused:

The reason I feel it is imperative that parents using SL have children able to learn from being read to (auditory learners) is due to the very nature of SL. SL is designed for the parent to read all history information to the child and then discuss it. That history is then filled in with Read-Alouds that again, the parent is to read to the child...and then Readers that the children get to read themselves. *I* personally cannot follow along when people read to me. I just cannot! I try, try, TRY and I can only take away bits and pieces of what they have read to me. If one has a child like me, how is using SL 'as-is' the best choice for their schooling? We are wanting the best for our children and THEIR learning styles are we not? I'm not sure how that comes off as too simplistic a thought. We all learn differently and yes there are shades of gray in our learning, not all is black and white, only one way or the other. But, I know that I could NOT learn from someone reading SL books to me, I don't care how good they are. I am in no way trashing SL; it's a wonderful curriculum. I personally loved it when we used it because *I* got to do all the reading aloud so *I* learned tons. ;) Only one of my children really absorbed what I was reading though and he was the only one who could have good discussions with me.

I believe,and this is my own personal belief, a good clue on whether your child is an auditory learner is how well they can narrate a story or historical information back to you. If they ho and hum, and can only give you tiny bits and peices...then perhaps they just cannot grasp what you read to them. One son always felt inferior...like he was a big dummy compared to his brother. It did not dawn on me until later that SL was not the best fit for his learning style. Oh, the readers were perfect for him, it was my reading all the other stuff that was not the best fit. He could not discuss with me what he did not grasp. Now, had I added in some hands-on stuff and more visuals like movies, books, etc. then he might have been fine. I did not do enough of that though as our SL schedule was already jam packed. I guess that is why I often recommend WP. It has all of the above. Books read to the child, picture books read with or by the child, video recommendations, hands-on recommendations and readers. Like the best of all learning styles rolled up into one. :D I personally prefer TOG, but were I not using it, I would be using WP.

Am I visual learner? Yes. I dislike audio books. I'd rather read how to do something than be provided verbal instructions. Telling me driving directions is far less helpful than simply writing them down. And so on. From what I can tell thus far, these things are true of my boys, too. My oldest in particular takes after me in this respect. And yet none of that has had any bearing on his ability (or my other children's ability) to fully appreciate and benefit from Sonlight.

I also did not mean to imply that my children did not benefit from SL. They did, each to their own degree. I was just trying to help the op in her research of SL and help steer her in making the best choice for HER children...whatever that may be. Is SL the very, very, VERY best curriculum available? I would say no...not for us it isn't. You may say yes, for your children it is. We all have to find the right balance. I personally feel SL is balanced to far toward the auditory learner [sorry, it's just easier to label it than constantly describe it. :lol:] It is not well balanced in my opinion. Not to say SL has no visuals, they do have some. But the majority of the reading is done audibly and this just will not work best for all children. For yours maybe, but perhaps not for the op's. I was only trying to give her things to think about in her "researching" of SL, NOT trying to dissuade her from using it. ;)

Mountain Born is one I was thinking of, where it's a sheep that dies. Boxcar Children and the like aren't books I personally consider to have death- it's not detailed or described in the book, the kids are just orphans when it starts. One of the kids says his parents are dead when asked where they are, but you know I don't think my kids even tuned in to that.

Yep, in Mountain Born the mama sheep dies at the end.

Those details of people having died before the books open bug my dd. It won't show up immediately, but when she goes to bed that night she will make a comment about not wanting us (dh and I) to die, and when I prod her a little about what gave her that idea, she will remind me that in the book the parents had died and how she doesn't want to be left alone like those children. On the other hand my oldest did fine with them at grade level, so it really is an individual thing.

My sensitive child will also run out of the room anytime a show gets suspenseful and I am not talking just shows that are new. Ones she knows the story line of and how it ends. Drives me nuts if I am trying to watch with her. :001_huh:

IF you have a child that sensitive then there is a lot of death in SL books, but I do think she is in a minority. Though WP tends to attract a lot of people with kids who are similar (Rain is another).

The part I was addressing is if there's "a lot of death" like lovedtodeath stated. Death is just a reality in war, not sure how you can get to some of the older cores and avoid that if you're talking about war. There was nothing graphic that I can recall in any core 3 + 4 book, I haven't done those core separately yet.

But a lot it depends on the child and their age, like you said.

Interestingly enough my sensitive child does better with factual books, because she isn't emotionally wrapped up in them or what happened. She does fine with death in those contexts. Go to a historical novel or books about animals who die and she will be bothered for days, because she is very emotionally...sympathetic. She immediately thinks, "What if it were me?" and she feels it as if it is her. I know because I was her as a child, and while I can handle it as an adult (most of the time) I still cried over every SL book I read/read-while my oldest looks on tearless, "Mom's crying again." :glare: "Leave me alone!" Sniff...

In the end that is why TOG works here. I can do SL type books for my oldest, and choose biographies and factual books for my sensitive girl, and both move forward. Otherwise I have to just substitute and customize other programs, so I might as well start with one that is made to be customized, KWIM?

Heather

That makes a lot of sense Heather. I'm not sure where we'll end up, for now we're doing SL. But I did have to smile reading about your dd because she reminds me a lot of my dd, and that's how I was as a kid also. Actually, I still am. I remember when I was 12 or 13 I picked up a magazine my dad had left lying around and there was an article about Joseph Mengele and an account from a mother on what he had done to her newborn baby and I couldn't sleep for several nights after that, it was all I could think about for weeks after. So I understand kids who really empathize and I understand crying over books even now. It's definitely something I'll be keeping in mind with my dd.

We love Sonlight. Referring to an earlier comment by someone else in the thread, there is death in a few of the books, but guess what. . .there is death in real life. I don't know why we should only read books that paint an unrealistic view of life. . .as if there isn't any death. Out of this entire school year, there have only been a couple of books that dealt with death. And it was actually good because it sparked conversations that we might not have had otherwise.

Also, I'd definitely recommend getting the catalog and using the charts which help you see what core to buy that you can combine both of the children for most of the work. We always buy ours used and that saves LOTS of money. However, if you put your children in a private school, you'd be paying FAR more than Sonlight's price for the school year. So it's worth it whether you buy it new or used.:)

If you choose Sonlight, just wanted to let you know, traditionally the prices of their Instructor's Guides go up April 1st every year, when their new catalog comes out. I don't know if that will hold true for this year, but it is something to keep in mind. Also, you can usually find Instructor's Guides for sale on ebay.

I bought my first core (core 3) in 1996, and lo these many years later, those books are still read in my house and still grace my shelves. This curriculum was an investment, no question about it.