Menu

I win! The prize for the most embarassing health-related question ever posed here...

Please. Pretty please. Don't laugh. Okay, do laugh ~ just not in front of me. Instead, give me happy rep points for being so honest. Because I just know someone, somewhere is going to read this thread and be glad I asked. It's not about 'female issues' ~ that's easy. It's not about diarrhea ~ pshaw! It's about...(golly, how does one say this other than to just say it?!)...it's about the fact that...(can the typeface get rilly, rilly small right about now?)...my navel stinks. Yep. I've got a stinky belly-button problem.

(Insert pause here as the readership collects itself and stops laughing.)

I'm so serious! You know how, after giving birth, your navel can kinda smell? (Okay, maybe you don't know. Maybe that's a c-section thing?) Anyway, I've encountered this during post-partum, but not for long. Now I am far from post-partum (like, um, 3.5 years distant). As some of you know, I have abdominal "issues", as far as aesthetics are concerned. I am thin, but thanks to super distended-pregnancies and abdominal hernias and c-sections and hernia surgeries, my stomach looks like I lost hundreds of pounds (can you say, "excess skin"?!) So, um, my navel is sorta...buried, if anyone knows what I mean. (Good grief, if this isn't embarassing. Why am I talking about it on the World Wide Web, you ask? Because I would actually RATHER talk about it here than discuss it in person with anyone!:p) So, I make a point of washing that area well. And yet, of late, it smells...not nice.

Okay. I am wondering if this is a product of some other health issue. Or if I'm the only woman on earth to ever notice this. Or...what?!:rolleyes:

I say, sprinkle some baking soda in there (seriously), or some baby cornstarch powder. As long as you are keeping it clean, then deodorant of some sort is the only thing that I think could help. Hugs. (and I've always had issues of not wanting my belly button to stink :D

Ok not from experience (still trying to figure out how limber you have to be to get your nose there:eek:) but I wondering if since it is buried if moisture isn't an issue. Since bacteria likes warm moist maybe drying more or adding some cornstarch might help. Is it sore like you have a scratch that is infected. Ok honestly these were all shots in the dark but you were so open in asking I had to try.

at a care facility, many years ago, the head nurse once said to pay special attention to the navel of all patients because it's a fact that dirt accumulates there. We used to wash it carefully and dry it carefully. If it's too moist, the problem is compounded. Do you have some discharge-like substance you can see? This was often the case with people who had bacterial growth.

In addition to the suggestions by other posters, you could try some antibiotic ointment as well.

Treat it like a yeast infection, because that's probably what it is.

After washing, get the area dry. Use a blow dryer on low heat and pull the skin around however you have to get it dry all the way in there.

You could use an anti-yeast cream to treat it, but if you can find a powder that would be better. I had a prescription powder from the doctor because I was also battling yeast on my thighs. (I swear it's all the antibiotics they give you for the c-section and recovery!). It was called Nystat powder, I think.

There is a non-prescription powder that is medicated with one of the anti-yeast medicines. I think it is one of the Desenex powders...my DH uses it for athlete's feet but we don't have any in the house right now so I can't tell you the exact name...I'm sorry.

Anyway, after all that rant...long story short...clean, dry, anti-fungal treatment. If that doesn't get it in a week or so, you might have to be brave and go to the doctor. It can actually get pretty painful if you let it go too long.

Phew...I can't believe I'm typing this on a public forum! :o

I think that this was brought up a few months ago on the old board. I wish I could remember the answer. I think someone mentioned a navel cyst or something? (I almost wrote "naval"... now that would be interesting.) It was bacterial in nature, I think. How's that for a completely unhelpful answer... "I think someone else, somewhere else, at some other point in time had the answer to this, but maybe not." Ugh. Sorry. Hopefully, someone else who remembers the answer will read this and be able to help. Or maybe there is some way to search the old boards.

This is one of those times when I wish posting to a thread didn't push it to the top of the first page.;) Just wanted to thank those who answered ~ and I appreciate the rest of you for keeping your snickers to yourselves.:p I'm going to try using some peroxide and baking soda and see if that helps. Oy vey. These bodies of ours are silly things, aren't they?

Colleen I don't know if you remember this or not but a year ago, my dh ended up in the hosptial for 4 days over his belly button! It had discharge and then he got really really sick. They think (still not 100% sure) that it was a cyst that may have burst and set up infection.

Yours sounds like it is probably more related to childbirth...but thought I would offer our experience anyway.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I know exactly what you are talking about. After 5 kids, my belly button gets pretty smelly if I forget about it. Here is what I do: After every shower I swab my navel out with peroxide and dry it with the other end of the q-tip or a tissue.

I mentioned this on the old board about 2 years ago and Linksalot posted her vision of me as a belly dancer. I'm not that exotic, it would probably be more accurate to call me a navel gazer. :-)

Colleen I don't know if you remember this or not but a year ago, my dh ended up in the hosptial for 4 days over his belly button! It had discharge and then he got really really sick. They think (still not 100% sure) that it was a cyst that may have burst and set up infection.

Boy, that must've been uncomfortable, explaining to folks what was going on. Kinda like if someone breaks a limb and instead of being able to say it was the result of something cool ~ say, heli-skiing ~ he has to admit, "I, um, tripped over a baby toy on the front porch." Or some such.;)

I'm sorry there's no way for me to reply to this without bumping your post again. But, here's the deal. You simply need to fess up and tell us all when, exactly, you got your belly button pierced. Because THAT would a very likely source of your stink. The next thing you need to do is tell us how it is that you manage to get yourself positioned in such a way as to actually smell your navel. Or is it kind of like....okay, that's even TMI for me, so I'll refrain.

Seriously, friend - and I'm not smirking here - you have a fungal infection. I have one between just two toes, so I'm vaguely familiar. You have Athlete's Navel. You can purchase an anti-fungal cream, or, if you prefer, you could try melaleuca (tea tree) oil instead. Oregano oil also has high anti-fungal properties, but not as high as tea tree. I'd get the real deal tea tree and dilute it with something like pure almond oil, esp. if you have tendencies toward skin sensitivity. I can use tea tree straight up, even v*ginally, but many people find it too strong.

Q-tips are your friend.

And, and btw, though it may be to you, I don't find this to be any more embarrassing/revealing than my query on the old boards about libido..or lack of. We're all friends here, right? :o

Doran

Colleen--I'm going to recommend something without even reading the replies because I have a similar problem that occurs under my breasts--find a jock-itch/anti-fungal creme specifically made for "that area" on a man. And buy some Caldescene medicated powder.

My breasts are big and because of this, get really red, sore, blistery underneath due to the heat. When this happens, I have to purchase the stuff made for a man and use it with the powder--it's the only thing that gets rid of it.

Doran is right--it is a fungal infection, but the man stuff is the best stuff I've found to combat it.

Boy, that must've been uncomfortable, explaining to folks what was going on. Kinda like if someone breaks a limb and instead of being able to say it was the result of something cool ~ say, heli-skiing ~ he has to admit, "I, um, tripped over a baby toy on the front porch." Or some such.;)

Yes, it was very uncomfortable. I remember I was frantic and posted a question on the board and someone later said that image made them sick. LOL. Well, ya should a been there in person. Ever more uncomfortable was watching dh show it to his boss in the hospital. I was sooooooo wishing he would just keep it covered.

I only thought of it because I've had a similar problem. I was washing well, but I wasn't rinsing carefully enough. Just letting the water run down my belly in the shower wasn't getting the soap out of my kinda-deep bellybutton. It would collect in there, and smell bad after awhile. I now use the shower hose to rinse directly in there, or (if I'm in a place with no hose), I grab my belly flab, and tilt it up so the water can get in to flush it out.

Also, make sure you dry it well, and keep it dry. (another obvious thing)

Hope it's not a health related. I could live a lifetime without ever having to deal with a navel cyst. :p

If it is a yeast/fungal infection it will look dark pink/red, have little red dots (similar to small pimples) that may radiate out of the divot and may be tender/warm. It may resemble a diaper rash-red skin with distinct borders.

Do you have any Tea Tree Oil? That may have enough of an anti-fungal/antibiotic effect for you. I know you prefer to avoid medications so if you go this route you may have to wait a little longer to see an effect than a cream, but it should help non the less. Apply twice to three times daily (especially after your shower) Wash and dry the area with a hair dryer thoroughly before you apply. If you run but don't have a chance to shower and you are sweaty, use a warm wash cloth to clean the area, dry and then apply.

If you are tired of dealing with it and want to try a medication, any anti-fungal will probably do fine. Yeast infection medicine, jock itch, athletes foot are common problems they are marketed for. Lotrimin is one of the strongest and most broad acting.

You may want to start by washing with peroxide. Lay on your back and fill it up! The peroxide will get into the folds and clear out any dead skin. You also may want to use a baby nasal syringe to wash the area in the shower. You can take a cup of water into the shower and use that to really rinse the area.

Taking a probiotic will also help to naturally fight the infection.