Menu

Should we take out our back stairs?

We have two sets of stairs to the upstairs; we never use the back stairs that lead to the playroom. I want to have them torn out and have the space made into a mudroom as this is the entrance from the garage. We would also open up the tiny broom closet located there and it would make enough space to house two big wardrobes and shelving. We would also have a nice closet to house toys in the playroom where the stairs were. Some people have said that having two sets of stairs in a nice selling feature - what do you all think? We don't plan on moving soon, but you never know, and I think more storage space beats an extra set of steps to try to vacuum. Let me know.

Take out the stairs. Make the space you live in work for YOU, not for some hypothetical future buyer. Plus, I think a mudroom and more closet space is a definite advantage not only for you in the here and now, but also for a future buyer.

:iagree: Ditch the stairs.

How old is the house? If it's an old house, you *never* know what you'll find when you start tearing things out. Think "money pit".

If it's a newer home, I wouldn't tear them out either. Something won't be right when the house plans are changed, imo.

How many more years will you have that room as the playroom? You may not use those stairs now, when your dc are young, but you may use them later.

I think it would be safer to add on, if possible.

How old is the house? If it's an old house, you *never* know what you'll find when you start tearing things out. Think "money pit".

If it's a newer home, I wouldn't tear them out either. Something won't be right when the house plans are changed, imo.

Stairs aren't a big deal. You do have to make sure that the floor joists you put in to replace the stairs are done correctly. Someone took out stairs leading to the basement in this house and simply nailed 2x6's to the joists. I am fearful of putting any weight on that space because it's already gotten soft over the years. Thank goodness we're moving!

I would tear them out. It may be a nice selling feature but there's no sense in living for some future buyer. Besides, mud rooms are selling features too!

Thanks for the advice.

We have a contractor coming on Tuesday to get us an estimate; that will be the deciding factor. We had thought about adding on to the back of the house, but it was too expensive. Our house is 20 years old and the playroom (which we will make into a media room someday) is off the main hall from the upstairs next to the laundry room.

thanks again and I will let you all know the cost of this.

Linda

The service stairs in our house were removed to house the furnace, but my furnace guy tells me the newer ones can be put anywhere, so I patiently await the day when the furnace dies (it's in great shape, so no time soon) and I get to replace those steps.

Our house is 140 or so years old, though, and has suffered great indignities at the hands of previous owners, which we are systematically trying to correct. So my views may be a little different. :001_smile: