Menu

Do you think homeschooling changes the parent/child relationship?

I've been wondering about this lately. It seems that some parents use school as a way to not have to deal with their kid's annoying habits or character issues. Like, my mom (who was a great mom and very involved in my life, and did what she thought was best) has always said that it would have been difficult to homeschool me because I didn't take criticism from her well. I handled it from teachers better (apparently). Would I have had a better chance to deal with my perfectionism if she had kept me home?

Also, when parents send their kids to school, the kids can come home and vent to their parents about their mean ol' teachers. A parent can be in more of a sympathetic-friend-type-role, even if they encourage their kid to continue to work hard etc etc.

So, I guess, I'm wondering how it's different when you're your child's primary teacher as well as his/her parent? Has this been written/talked about the homeschool community? Like I mentioned earlier, I had great parents, who modelled marriage, family and parenting really well for me. I wonder if I'm going to come upon some surprises and new challenges as I move more into the role of homeschooling my kids as well.

And another, related thing (maybe this should be a separate thread). :) For those who want to teach your kids about your faith: does it ever feel goofy and cheesy? Although my dad went to seminary and has been in church leadership all of my life and now is a senior pastor of a church, my parents didn't really teach us about faith. We talked about it as issues came up. We learned a lot from church. They answered our questions. I'm sure we read story bibles when we were little. But, they didn't really intentionally teach us. No family devotional time or Bible time. I guess they felt it was a personal thing that they didn't want to push on us. The result, though, is that it's still awkward to talk about spiritual things as a family. I want differently for my family, but I find it difficult to find a way to do it that doesn't feel goofy to me. My kids are still young... maybe we'll grow into it?

I'm certain that home-schooling has changed family dynamics for us. In my opinion, those new dynamics are one of the best things about home-schooling.

I am forced to confront issues in my relationship with my kids. The days would be long and miserable if we didn't all have mutually respectful relationships, so we're all motivated to work on that. And we have time to work on that -- we wouldn't have much of that if they were at school.

I'm also very thankful that my kids see me as someone who likes to teach them, wants to help them, and looks forward to our time together. I love the things we get to talk about during schoolwork.

The improved relationships in our family are, for me, the very best part of home-schooling.

I wouldn't venture to presume that other parents "use" school as a way to "not have to deal with their kids," but I know it is easier for me to spend time working on the parent-child relationships in my family than it would be if they were at school 30 hours each week.

I would have to agree with msjones.

We have been FORCED to work out issues that we have. Our personality issues that may have been glossed over have to be dealt with. It's the kind of things that take time. Time we wouldn't have if my dd was public schooled. I would not have seen the need to work diligently on my own personality and how to improve it in terms of my relationship with my child. I would still be in a quagmire of defensiveness as to my parenting, I'm afraid. I think I have learned to give my child more dignity instead of "laying down the law". 24/7 with dd has helped me do that. And let go of control...lessons that would've been long and hard in coming if I was not forced to face them.

My dd has had to come to terms with some of her own issues. Again, if we hadn't had all the time together to work it out, this would've been a longer, harder process.

As for the spirituality part. I can see what you are saying. I grew up a bit similar to what you were describing. Our family now makes much more time and communicates about spiritual things daily. At first it felt weird, almost "put on" and a bit self righteous...but practice makes perfect, you know! I think it is similar with many new habits that we know are probably beneficial for us, but aren't comfortable yet, kwim?

Of course it changes the parent-child dynamics. That's a good thing, imo.

My older son was extremely resistant to learning from me, whereas he was a peach for other teachers. This was my biggest concern about homeschooling. How in the world do I teach someone who will do anything except what I ask?

The advice I got from other homeschooling moms at a local meeting was "the first lesson is obedience." Not a heavy-handed punishment orientation, but a relationship repair orientation. It turns out our relationship was hurting, and I had to re-build the foundations of loving connections before he could stand to learn from me.

Once that was in place, we had to learn to follow a regular routine in order for my son to learn. I was in the habit of not following any routine, and tossing aside my plans when any opportunity for something better came along. Turns out my son needed a much more orderly routine in order to settle down to work. Otherwise he was constantly lobbying for something different than what I had planned to do, and getting frustrated with my intransigence!

I had to learn to keep our relationship strong by investing in meeting his needs -- always. And learn to put aside my dislike of schedules and live by one, for his sake.

Once we put those things in place, the rest was much easier. Seriously, nothing else was hard after I figured out those life lessons.

On your second point, I too don't do formal religious training with my sons, aside from reading several Bible storybooks (Ergemann's, Golden, etc) to the boys over the years as bedtime stories. We also discuss things as they come up. I'm not concerned about a lack. DS 12 takes spiritual things more to heart if they are informally presented rather than part of a workbook or formal curriculum. It works for us. My younger son (9) may do better with a formal curriculum, but if I were to choose one, it would be the Memoria Press curriculum a couple of years from now.

Of course it changes the parent-child dynamics. That's a good thing, imo.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the change would be negative. I guess I'm just a bit nervous that this is a dimension to the relationship that I haven't really seen modelled. It sounds like, mostly, it forces you to address issues that you might not have the need (or time) to address otherwise. I agree that that's a good thing. Thanks for your responses... they are helpful.

It certainly does! My DD9 is alot like me, so we don't always get along well, but we have learned to work together to make a strong relationship that I never had with my mother as a child (we were alot alike also). Discipline may have been done less, because I would not have much time with them so I would not want to spend the time that I had with them correcting them (if that makes any sense).

I have found that with my daughter home all day, we have a chance to see each other during the good times of day. When she was in school, she came home exhausted and grumpy. It's nice to see her when she's in a happier mood. It's also nice to be able to let her play with her brothers or just sit and read for a good chunk of the day. Before, it seemed like I was always the drill sergeant, trying to get her to get ready to go, do her chores, do her homework, etc.

As far as Bible study goes, we just work it in to our bedtime routine. For 5-10 minutes after they get their jammies on, we read scriptures. We take turns, each reading one or two verses, until we have had enough :) Usually we each have two or three turns before everyone gets too wiggly. Our non-readers just repeat after me as I read them their verse. Since we are dealing with so many unfamiliar words and phrases, we stop often to explain what's going on. To me, it's fairly informal, and it can lead to religious discussions if the kids are interested. And since it's part of the bedtime routine, our kids won't let us skip it, even on the nights when we (my husband and I) just want to throw them in bed and have some quiet.

you might start by praying out loud with your children here and there.

We used to pray in the car whenever we heard an ambulance, or when we were a little lost, and then I realized that DD could be developing the impression that you only should pray when there is a problem. So I started to look for things to thank God for (still the in car, mostly), and it just grew from there.

Same with devotions--I always read to DD a lot, so including Bible as part of our regular readalouds just fit in really well.

And we always went to church, and to Sunday School once DD was old enough.

So it just grew naturally from all of this without much planning.

Then when DD was school age I incorporated Bible into world history, and then we started to use Concordia Voyages as part of our regular schoolwork. Now we are continuing Concordia Voyages, and DD has confirmation classes twice a week, attends a Lutheran summer camp for week every summer, and I have taken her on a retreat there for weekends 2 times, as well as for 3 volunteer work weekends. This all feels pretty natural, even though the only part of it that I experienced growing up was going to church, Sunday school, and Lutheran dayschool.

I would have to agree with msjones.

We have been FORCED to work out issues that we have. Our personality issues that may have been glossed over have to be dealt with. It's the kind of things that take time. Time we wouldn't have if my dd was public schooled. I would not have seen the need to work diligently on my own personality and how to improve it in terms of my relationship with my child. I would still be in a quagmire of defensiveness as to my parenting, I'm afraid. I think I have learned to give my child more dignity instead of "laying down the law". 24/7 with dd has helped me do that. And let go of control...lessons that would've been long and hard in coming if I was not forced to face them.

My dd has had to come to terms with some of her own issues. Again, if we hadn't had all the time together to work it out, this would've been a longer, harder process.

As for the spirituality part. I can see what you are saying. I grew up a bit similar to what you were describing. Our family now makes much more time and communicates about spiritual things daily. At first it felt weird, almost "put on" and a bit self righteous...but practice makes perfect, you know! I think it is similar with many new habits that we know are probably beneficial for us, but aren't comfortable yet, kwim?

I like the point you make here about the parent working on her own behavior. I tend to be sarcastic and am something of a yeller. I have come a looooong way in controlling this with my family; home-schooling provides a perfect place to work on not-yelling-or-being-sarcastic day in and day out. ;)

I'm glad I was 'forced' by home-schooling to confront and deal with that nasty part of myself.

I think about this alot! First, I do feel that many of the parents I have been around do like sending their kids to school so that they don't personally have to "deal" with their issues. I cannot tell you how many mothers (supposedly strong Christian women) I've heard rant and rave when their kids are off school. They have said they can't WAIT for them to go back and can't stand when they are home!! Seriously, I've had several women say that they can't stand their kids being home and that they drive them nuts -- even when it's just for a day. It makes me so very sad.

Sometimes I will lay in bed at night after a TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY and still thank God that he has convicted me of homeschooling because I cannot fathom sending my kids away for so many hours a day. I just do not understand parents not wanting their kids around. Reality is I get tired of my kids 24/7 and would love to have some "me" time, but I truly don't enjoy being away from them for long periods of time.

I also feel that my relationship with my girls is dramatically impacted by our being together all the time. I do get to see the good things that I am sure other parents who send their kids away for so many hours each day don't get to see. Likewise, I feel that I see ALL of the negative! Things I would never see or hear if they were in school are happening all the time. This makes me feel like I am constantly correcting, admonishing, punishing, rebuking, and complaining that they aren't behaving in an appropriate manner. I get concerned that this may be detrimental to our relationship. I just sometimes feel like all I do is rebuke (of course I also compliment), but it's just that I see and hear so much more than I ever would. KWIM.

Wondering how you all handle this aspect of the parent vs. homeschool teacher vs. encouraging mom triad??

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the change would be negative.

Not at all! I didn't take it that way, I meant to imply a strong affirmation of the change-for-the-better aspect.

All my posts should be read with a calm, reasonable tone. If it comes across as snarky, that's just because you're reading it wrong. :lol:

LOL! I'm always worried that my posts are misinterpreted. Maybe we should have disclaimers in our signatures.

I'm glad I was 'forced' by home-schooling to confront and deal with that nasty part of myself.

I agree that this is a big part of it. There was a time that I considered sending my oldest (who was 2 at the time) to MDO just to get a break a couple of days a week and get other things done. Not that there's anything wrong with sending your kid to MDO, but I was convicted that it was more important for me to make a priority of my relationship with my daughter (who was making me nuts at the end of my pg with #2) than to be able to get housework done.

I'm wondering how it's different when you're your child's primary teacher as well as his/her parent?

"Different" is a relative term. Nothing is "different" for us, per se, because this is the way we've always done it. I have no idea how the parent/child relationship would look under other circumstances since this is the only reality we've experienced.

I believe that in many respects, we're closer as a family due to homeschooling. I also believe that the parent/teacher wearing one more hat ~ and a Very Big Hat at that ~ can be a serious drawback to homeschooling. I have many friends who, upon stopping homeschooling, felt they were better parents once they stepped out of the schooling driver's seat. These are people whose personalities and schooling styles are/were vastly different. The fact that they echo one another is telling to me.

For those who want to teach your kids about your faith: does it ever feel goofy and cheesy?

Yes, it would feel goofy and cheezy to me to put on the "Let's Intentionally Be Christian!" mantle. A lot of things about contemporary Christianity aren't comfortable to me. I don't feel the need to listen to bad Christian music, read hokey Christian books, go to forced-emotion Christian conferences, etc. If all of that, along with "devotion time" and so on and so forth, is meaningful for some people, more power to them. It's not my cuppa, though, and that's okay, too. Don't feel you need to force activities, trends, and emotions.

We homeschooled through this January and currently have our son in a public charter school. I loved homeschooling (and we will be doing it again after this summer) but it did magnify the problems ds and I have personality-wise. He's a tough, tough kid to parent. I've found since he's been at school that I've had a lot more insight into what makes him tick...what helps him learn, what he needs from me, what kind of organization and structure he needs.

I just somehow was missing the connect before. And that's the reason we're bringing him back home:D...this brief foray into school has taught me a huge lesson...I wasn't paying enough attention to a lot of things in our life. Every day was a struggle for both of us (and was complicted by health). Most people don't need to send their children to find out how to make homeschooling work...I'm a tough nut to crack!

Homeschooling is an extension of life...for us homeschooling has been a natural outflow of everything we do...there are very few subjects that ds7 even realizes are "school". Homeschooling can really tune you into your children...both in emphasizing the wonderful things about them, and magnifying those niggeldy faults that you might not find as annoying if your children were in school (since they'd only be around you for about four waking hours, rather than 14!).

For religion:

We pray together every night. We read Bible stories either during the day or at night. I also read from books about our religion (we are Eastern Orthodox). For us it's a natural extension of our faith...if we are in a car and pass an accident we pray for the people in the accident. If I see something to be thankful about sometimes I just stop and thank God. It actually took me a while to be able to do this...it's not exactly how we did it growing up! As someone else mentioned, because Bible stories, Faith stories, and prayers are part of bedtime, the kids don't ever let us leave them out!

Yes, it would feel goofy and cheezy to me to put on the "Let's Intentionally Be Christian!" mantle. A lot of things about contemporary Christianity aren't comfortable to me. I don't feel the need to listen to bad Christian music, read hokey Christian books, go to forced-emotion Christian conferences, etc. If all of that, along with "devotion time" and so on and so forth, is meaningful for some people, more power to them. It's not my cuppa, though, and that's okay, too. Don't feel you need to force activities, trends, and emotions.

Oh, I totally agree with this. However, my church growing up was an excellent teaching church. I learned a ton about the Bible, some church history, and the basics of faith there. We don't see children's programs doing such a good job of that anymore. Also, the culture has changed a lot in the past few decades, and as Christianity becomes more and more counter-cultural, I think we need to take more seriously our role as parents to educate our kids about faith. I also want them to learn how faith gets lived out in life. Of course, a lot of that is by example, but if you never explain why you do the things you do, they may not catch the connection. If our kids don't see that faith makes a difference in our lives, why will they be motivated to hold onto it when they leave home?

I can say without a doubt that there is a difference in both the way I parent the kids I have homeschooled, and the closeness I feel to them. I can't say, however, if it's really a cause and effect thing, because the one I didn't homeschool has substance abuse issues, among other things.

I feel a different kind of confidence in the way I parent my little girl, who hasn't gone to school until this year. We are very close, I know a lot about her personality, and I wish I could have had this tight relationship with my other kids. I don't know if I was able to homeschool 10 years ago, when they were the same age as she is--I don't think I was, but who knows. Can't change the past or predict the future!

I guess I'm just resting in the joy of having had my heart and my eyes opened to the homeschooling experience. As we get healthier as a family, due to second son's treatment program, I have so many regrets, but I've learned I can only change my intention and actions for today, not for yesterday. You are starting off with very young kids--you have a whole lotta time in front of you. I just think you are wise to use this time to think about things like this--be intentional because it's so much better than just being reactive. Remember that small things done over time lead to big things--make your daily habits ones you want to become set in stone!

So, I guess, I'm wondering how it's different when you're your child's primary teacher as well as his/her parent?

For those who want to teach your kids about your faith: does it ever feel goofy and cheesy?

Ds and I have a very different relationship now. He trusts me more, he trusts my opinion and I don't have to hear, 'but Mr. Wheeler said' (Deo Gratias). We have more fun together. Really, I thought we'd get so sick of seeing each other that I had made plans to get him out of the house nearly every weekend. We've canceled the majority of those sleepovers, because it turns out we like being together.

And yes, I did feel a little cheesy at first. Now, Andrew reads from his Bible storybook in the morning, we discuss, he might have some dictation from there, or need to write a narrative, and it's just matter-of-fact, part of our daily schedule. Having Latin, he's learned 'The Sanctus' and is working on the 'Doxology' helps too.

You are starting off with very young kids--you have a whole lotta time in front of you. I just think you are wise to use this time to think about things like this--be intentional because it's so much better than just being reactive. Remember that small things done over time lead to big things--make your daily habits ones you want to become set in stone!

Thank you for this. It's very encouraging. And :grouphug: to you and your family.

And thanks for everyone's input about passing on faith to our kids. It's helping me to realize that it doesn't have to be complicated. I need to think through what my goals are in this area, to help me decide what to do and remember why we're doing it. It also dawned on me that there will probably be more natural opportunities to discuss matters of faith when I'm the one teaching them history and science and literature.

I've been wondering about this lately. It seems that some parents use school as a way to not have to deal with their kid's annoying habits or character issues. Like, my mom (who was a great mom and very involved in my life, and did what she thought was best) has always said that it would have been difficult to homeschool me because I didn't take criticism from her well. I handled it from teachers better (apparently). Would I have had a better chance to deal with my perfectionism if she had kept me home?

Also, when parents send their kids to school, the kids can come home and vent to their parents about their mean ol' teachers. A parent can be in more of a sympathetic-friend-type-role, even if they encourage their kid to continue to work hard etc etc.

So, I guess, I'm wondering how it's different when you're your child's primary teacher as well as his/her parent? Has this been written/talked about the homeschool community? Like I mentioned earlier, I had great parents, who modelled marriage, family and parenting really well for me. I wonder if I'm going to come upon some surprises and new challenges as I move more into the role of homeschooling my kids as well.

And another, related thing (maybe this should be a separate thread). :) For those who want to teach your kids about your faith: does it ever feel goofy and cheesy? Although my dad went to seminary and has been in church leadership all of my life and now is a senior pastor of a church, my parents didn't really teach us about faith. We talked about it as issues came up. We learned a lot from church. They answered our questions. I'm sure we read story bibles when we were little. But, they didn't really intentionally teach us. No family devotional time or Bible time. I guess they felt it was a personal thing that they didn't want to push on us. The result, though, is that it's still awkward to talk about spiritual things as a family. I want differently for my family, but I find it difficult to find a way to do it that doesn't feel goofy to me. My kids are still young... maybe we'll grow into it?

I think the relationship is different, yes. That's part of the reason I HS. ;)

Start today with daily Bible time with your dc. We do some memory work, a reading, and prayer every morning...school or not. I don't plan like I would for a ss class -I can take daily moments to draw out points from the stories in a real way.

My kids are teens now (how did that happen?) and while yes, I do feel homeschooling has been wonderufully beneficial for our relationship, I also find that at this point they need to form strong connections with people and teachers outside of me and the family dynamic. I might even go to the point of saying I think it might be unhealthy for me to be their only and primary teacher from this point onwards- the more they interact with other "mentors" in whatever areas, the better for them. Dd14 has an art teacher she is virtually an apprentice to, she is doing a "community college" course, she has done writing courses to get feedback from others, she has a Science teacher, a debating teacher etc. My son has less outside mentors, and seems to need less than dd, but he thrives in his science class with a male teacher, and has just started, at age 13, to learn the piano- because he wants to.

I can even say at this stage I can really see the benefit of highschool in that each teacher is teaching in their area of speciality, and if they are a good teacher, they will inspire and pass on wonderuful knowledge. Of course that is idealistic- although it does happen- and I am acutely aware of the negative socialisation aspect of highschool (and the positive socialisation aspect of homeschooling is clear in my family as my kids are very involved in Scouts and are very socially competent).

Just to say, I think teenage years are time for kids to move beyond the family, although it can certainly be done well in the homeschooling context.

It also dawned on me that there will probably be more natural opportunities to discuss matters of faith when I'm the one teaching them history and science and literature.

Oh absolutely. And I definitely agree that spending some quality time thinking and meditating on your goals will make your teaching both more enjoyable and more productive.

My kids are teens now (how did that happen?) and while yes, I do feel homeschooling has been wonderufully beneficial for our relationship, I also find that at this point they need to form strong connections with people and teachers outside of me and the family dynamic. I might even go to the point of saying I think it might be unhealthy for me to be their only and primary teacher from this point onwards- the more they interact with other "mentors" in whatever areas, the better for them. Dd14 has an art teacher she is virtually an apprentice to, she is doing a "community college" course, she has done writing courses to get feedback from others, she has a Science teacher, a debating teacher etc. My son has less outside mentors, and seems to need less than dd, but he thrives in his science class with a male teacher, and has just started, at age 13, to learn the piano- because he wants to.

I can even say at this stage I can really see the benefit of highschool in that each teacher is teaching in their area of speciality, and if they are a good teacher, they will inspire and pass on wonderuful knowledge. Of course that is idealistic- although it does happen- and I am acutely aware of the negative socialisation aspect of highschool (and the positive socialisation aspect of homeschooling is clear in my family as my kids are very involved in Scouts and are very socially competent).

Just to say, I think teenage years are time for kids to move beyond the family, although it can certainly be done well in the homeschooling context.

This is a lovely post, Peela and I agree with you. We've 95% decided that we'll hs until high school, but by the middle teen years, we want our children to start using their wings, start to fly. I'd love to see our children do some summer mission trips, spend their summers counselling at camp, travelling with and without us.

I agree with Ria's point early in the thread about hs'ing magnifying the parent/child relationship. Sadly, I think the relationship can swing both ways . . . into a mutually beneficial relationship where both parent and children are working out their flaws and kinks together . . . almost sharpening each other. I know that after 5 years of hs'ing, I'm a much better person. I don't yell as much, my expectations are reasonable (I hope), I find ways to meet my children where they are and I've learned the power of grace-based (goyb) parenting. In some cases, I think hs'ing magnifies control/fear-based parenting which makes me feel very sad for the littles. Finding balance is key.

I've tried to help my kids see that we are all a work in progress . . . Mommy has some edges that need lots of heavy-duty sanding and so do the little people. We work at it together. In our case, hs'ing has helped all of us become better people and a more unified team.

Cheers, Tricia

"Different" is a relative term. Nothing is "different" for us, per se, because this is the way we've always done it. I have no idea how the parent/child relationship would look under other circumstances since this is the only reality we've experienced.

:iagree: I don't know any "different." This is how we've always been.

I'm wondering how it's different when you're your child's primary teacher as well as his/her parent?

My kids are still young... maybe we'll grow into it?

I've never sent my kids to public school either, so I guess I could say different is relative and I wouldn't know how we'd be different because we've never been different . . . it's always been this way.

Sure, but I think we have enough clues to hazard a guess about how our relationships would change with our children if we didn't spend all day together.

For ie: hs'ing forces me to be a grace-based parent. I don't think I would have journeyed this parenting path had I sent my kids to ps. I had to learn grace, self-control, "gentle but firm" mothering in order to lead my children academically.

Being mommy/teacher forces a quick decision about the flavour of your mothering. Often times, I hear mother's speak of "changing hats" depending on the hour of the day . . . I found that I couldn't change hats. I'm the mommy that teaches, cleans, cooks, plays, disciplines, encourages. I find that my ps friends have the luxury of being Mommy without so many layers. I envy their headspace, but I am very protective of the relationship that we've managed to carve out in the midst of school at home.

Not all of us here started hs'ing when our firstborn turned 5 without really really questioning if hs'ing was the best route to take for educating our littles. I remember tossing and turning for months, trying to figure out what hs'ing would look like. How I'd be stretched. Could I do it? Should I try to find out in advance the hurdles and crazy I might encounter?

The first real philosophical lesson as I learned as a homeschooler is that "homeschooling" is a word that encompasses a whole ocean of possibilities. Your school will look like you. The parenting challenges of being a mommy who teaches may represent your growing edge if you are of the mind that we learn as much as we teach in our hs'ing environment. You ended your post with the idea of "maybe I'll grow into it?" You will grow into it if you allow yourself the space to be the mother/teacher you've always wanted to be. You'll also find the people here who reflect your values and you'll listen harder to them.

My early morning ramblings!

Warmly, Tricia