Menu

Book organization - mine inside. What system are you using?

I finished my book organizing today. It is roughly according to the Dewey Decimal system with some personal adjustments :tongue_smilie:. I ended up with the following categories (one per shelf unless otherwise specified):

1) General Knowledge (mostly books of facts and knowledge) - 30s

2) Phonics - 370s

3) Spelling & Vocabulary - 370s

4) English - Grammar and Writing (2 Shelves) - 400s & 800s (why the heck are these together)

5) Languages and Linguistics - 400-410

6) Latin - 470s

7) Math & Arithmetic - 500s

8) Algebra & Geometry - 510s

9) Math Manipulatives - No call number

10) General Science - 500s

11) Earth & Space - 520s & 550s

12) Physics - 530s

13) Chemistry - 540s

14) Biology and Life Sciences - 570s

15) Evolution and Intelligent Design

16) Plants & Animals - 580s & 630s

17) Medical & Anatomy - 610s

18) Atlases - 900-910s

19) Geography & Travel - 900s-910s

20) World History (2 Shelves) - 900s

21) Ancient History - 930s

22) Middle Ages & Europe - 940s

23) American History (2 Shelves) - 970s

24) Economics & Government - 320s-340s

25) Alternative History - 930s

26) Religion and Mythology (2 Shelves) - 200s-290s & various numbers for mythologies

27) Media - all

All literature and fiction is downstairs as is all 700s (the arts). All of my books currently fit on the shelves but I only have room to grow in a few subjects: English, languages, all of the sciences except biology, geography, the middle ages, economics & government, alternative history and religion & mythology. The rest of the shelves are FULL and that subject will require another shelf if I buy even one more book in that subject. Unfortunately all of the shelves are taken. :glare:

That was hard work and I am tired but the shelves look good and now I can find any specific item that I am looking for instead of having to look through an entire bookshelf to find, say, a certain chemistry book. Now I just have to go make dinner and do the dishes.

So tell me about your book organizing system. :)

I have a picture in my head of what our books shelves look like and where the books sit on the shelves and that is my filing system. if hubby wants to know where a book is or goes he asks me first.

Otherwise they are done by topic and slightly by size. We have floor to ceiling books shelves in our den and in the kids room, plus some extra shelves in the living room and upstairs hallway, my room and MANY in boxes still packed up.

No wonder my head hurts so often.:lol:

I did finally talk hubby into letting me label the shelves with a timeline as that is how we normally read books for schooling.

I am not NEARLY that organized. Our books are grouped together by topic (Science, Reference, History, Religion, Geography, etc.). Our historical fiction books are shelved chronologically, and our non-historical fiction together.

It works for me, and I know where to find everything I need. When my kids need a book, I tell them where in the library to look for it.

I have books intended for DD shelved by subject.

Literature--one shelf

Other language arts--one shelf

Religion/Bible/catechism--one shelf

Crafts/seasonal stuff/nature studies--one shelf (kind of Waldorf-y)

Science--two shelves

History--used to be one shelf for world history and one for US history. It's a little more scattered than that, now. I have one shelf for Sonlight 5 and related books. One for Ancients through Medieval times. One for World history, early Modern and late Modern. One for US history, early modern and late modern. These are a mixture of fiction and non-fiction and texts.

But I have two art history encyclopedias that have their own area. I also have the old white Kingfisher in 10 volumes, all together. I have a huge old dictionary and a two volume general encyclopedia together. And every so often I pull out a bunch of books on one topic and put them in their own area to be covered together, like books on California history or on the Renaissance. This is usually when we are doing a 1-2 month unit study or are preparing for a field trip.

And then I keep my own books in a total hodge podge. It's a season, you know? I have a tall, narrow book shelf in my bedroom next to my bedside table, which in theory would hold all of the books that I'm getting ready to read to myself or others. But inevitably the books that I'm 'just getting to' start to pile up on the bedside table precariously. Then I weed them out and disperse them, and start over. I'm due for a round of that right now.

Ours is divided by subject with subdivisions.

-TOG books are divided and in totes by year with the level, week used written in the inside front cover with one shelf dedicated to the current unit

-Science books are divided by field: biology (human, animal, plant), geology, ecology and physical geography, space, physical science (chemistry and physics), scientists biographies and encyclopedias. Experiment books are organized either by focus or on the science reference shelf.

-Music and art books are grouped together but all the art books, then the music books

-Reference books are together: dictionary, atlases, etc. things we use often as well as our notebooks.

-Nature Study shelf with field guides and helps

-I have storage drawers for math, science, reading and art that house our supplies and manipulatives.

My books are on different shelves by topic - US history, world history, science, math, reference, etc. The literature is on shelves according to reading level - the higher the shelf, the harder the book, except for some that are too big and are on their own shelf. If I had a couple of more bookcases, I'd organize literature alphabetically. Right now, though, I have to group books by size in order to make everything fit!

I have a picture in my head of what our books shelves look like and where the books sit on the shelves and that is my filing system. if hubby wants to know where a book is or goes he asks me first.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

My husband has made various attempts to organize/alphabetize the books, but I quickly defeat him by insisting on pulling the books off the shelves.

Frankly, I just use the books too much and too often to be bothered to painstakingly re-shelve them according to some master plan. So, I usually know more or less where I last saw a book and can put my hands on it pretty quickly.

And my husband has decided to focus his organizational efforts on the CDs, which I rarely touch.

I am finally finished. Here are photos of the bookcases in our living area.

The boys have picture books, favorite chapter books and audio books on the bookshelf in their room.

I have craft magazines, homeschool and my personal non-fiction books (parenting, marriage, etc) in the bookshelf in our room.

scienceetc-1.jpg

historyshelves.jpg

I finished my book organizing today. It is roughly according to the Dewey Decimal system with some personal adjustments :tongue_smilie:. I ended up with the following categories (one per shelf unless otherwise specified):

1) General Knowledge (mostly books of facts and knowledge) - 30s

2) Phonics - 370s

3) Spelling & Vocabulary - 370s

4) English - Grammar and Writing (2 Shelves) - 400s & 800s (why the heck are these together)

5) Languages and Linguistics - 400-410

6) Latin - 470s

7) Math & Arithmetic - 500s

8) Algebra & Geometry - 510s

9) Math Manipulatives - No call number

10) General Science - 500s

11) Earth & Space - 520s & 550s

12) Physics - 530s

13) Chemistry - 540s

14) Biology and Life Sciences - 570s

15) Evolution and Intelligent Design

16) Plants & Animals - 580s & 630s

17) Medical & Anatomy - 610s

18) Atlases - 900-910s

19) Geography & Travel - 900s-910s

20) World History (2 Shelves) - 900s

21) Ancient History - 930s

22) Middle Ages & Europe - 940s

23) American History (2 Shelves) - 970s

24) Economics & Government - 320s-340s

25) Alternative History - 930s

26) Religion and Mythology (2 Shelves) - 200s-290s & various numbers for mythologies

27) Media - all

All literature and fiction is downstairs as is all 700s (the arts). All of my books currently fit on the shelves but I only have room to grow in a few subjects: English, languages, all of the sciences except biology, geography, the middle ages, economics & government, alternative history and religion & mythology. The rest of the shelves are FULL and that subject will require another shelf if I buy even one more book in that subject. Unfortunately all of the shelves are taken. :glare:

That was hard work and I am tired but the shelves look good and now I can find any specific item that I am looking for instead of having to look through an entire bookshelf to find, say, a certain chemistry book. Now I just have to go make dinner and do the dishes.

So tell me about your book organizing system. :)

My books are not dissimilarly organized. However the subjects aren't on shelves in Dewey order. Adult and kids books are shelved in separate areas.

I have another question-How do you get your kids to not mess up the system and mis-shelve books?

My books are on different shelves by topic - US history, world history, science, math, reference, etc. The literature is on shelves according to reading level - the higher the shelf, the harder the book, except for some that are too big and are on their own shelf. If I had a couple of more bookcases, I'd organize literature alphabetically. Right now, though, I have to group books by size in order to make everything fit!

I like this idea! I was having trouble deciding whether to organize by level or subject...but this does both.

DAWN! I love your pics! Suddenly I don't have so many books!

My books are not dissimilarly organized. However the subjects aren't on shelves in Dewey order. Adult and kids books are shelved in separate areas.

I have another question-How do you get your kids to not mess up the system and mis-shelve books?

Well, this set of shelves is in my room and the books are usually used in there because our school room is my office which is attached. So they are told to put them back immediately after using. Sometimes they take them for extended reading so periodically I take stock of what is missing and go on a book finding expedition. If I have a hole, I usually know what is missing and therefore what to look for. I also usually know who would have such book and therefore where to look for it. The only thing that trips me up is the nine year old who just choses random books off the shelves. Searching her room is an effort of last resort if the book can not otherwise be located.

We have an overload of books.. both dh and I are serious addicts, so there's nobody to keep the other one in check.

We generally organize them in a similar manner to everyone else.. but with our homeschooling books, I have designated shelves for a topic and put all relevant books/puzzles/games/videos on that shelf. That way I can see all my resources on a given topic at once. I'm getting so scatter-brained in my old age, I would forget I had things when they were separated.

Holy cow, woman! That's alot of organizing! I just try to keep our books separated from the library's books at my house. :) There's a seperate shelf for homeschool curricula that isn't just a book or novel. That's about as far as I've gotten.

:lol: Keeping the library books separated is a challenge! We have 96 items checked out just now. I have a pretty good sense of where each of our own books are on the nine bookcases, multiple wall-mounted shelves, and the underneath shelves of the coffee tables scattered throughout the house. The organization is rather loose. We have a health section, Bible study, garden, knitting, quilting, woodworking, math, art, science, American history, World history, biographies, etc. They have to be sorted sometimes by size. Elijah has a shelf section of K & 1st workbooks, but the other children have stacks or totes with their schoolbooks inside. The photo is of a new little shelf I made to hold our frail collection of grandparent and great-grandparent's books.

post-6794-13535082821843_thumb.jpg

post-6794-13535082821843_thumb.jpg

Edited by AnnetteB