Menu

Cilantro--What do I do with it? I have a lot.

I'll be back with a recipe when I find it, but in the meantime, if you can find those Debbie Meyers Green bags at Walgreens or somewhere, I highly recommend them for cilantro. Cilantro normally goes bad in a day or two and I've seriously been using the same bunch for almost 2 weeks and no wilting with the green bags!

I wrap 6 large plum tomatoes in foil and roast them right on the stove burners. I then add the tomatoes (juice and all) in a blender w/ one bunch of cilantro, 1/2 seeded jalapeno & one bunch of green onions. I add a little salt, pepper and garlic. Pulse it up and you have great salsa! This is a big hit at our house.

*You can add more or less jalapeno depending on how how you prefer it. For a little variety, I also slice up fresh avocado and put it in the salsa.

Okay, cilantro accompanies any dish with black beans. This one is a favorite--super healthy!

Black Bean Salad

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed

8 cherry tomatoes, quartered

1/2 cup minced purple onion

2-3 cloves garlic, pressed--I use way more but love garlic

1/2 cup diced red pepper

2 T pumpkin seeds, chopped(optional ingredient)

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

2 T extra virgin olive oil

3 T fresh lemon juice

sea salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together! This gets more flavorful as it sits and marinates and is best when it's cold. I like it best the day after I make it.

salsa fresco

garnish on Thai or Vietnamese salad

garnish on curries or sabjis

put in burritos

make a different kind of pesto, with peanuts instead of pine nuts and put over asian noodles

And put it in dal. You can wash, dry and freeze it whole in aliquots for a pot of dal, and pull out of freezer, chop and add to dal the last 2 mintues of cooking.

My kids and I inhale this whenever I have a lot, which is not that often because I do a lot of ethic cooking with it.

Wash and pick over the cilantro. Throw in a food processor or blender with one small can of undrained, chopped green chilis. Whirl away and add just enough mayo (low- or non-fat is fine) to make it into a sauce.

Use as a dip, on chicken, on eggs...

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Cilantro Cream Sauce

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amys-Cilantro-Cream-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Cilantro Pesto

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fabulous-Cilantro-Pesto/Detail.aspx

I would also make some of the mayo from this recipe and store it for sandwiches.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crab-and-Noodle-Cakes-with-Cilantro-Lime-Mayonnaise/Detail.aspx

Argh! You made me drool!

Oh, yeah, chutney

1 1/2 chopped, de-seeded serrano chili

3 tbsp lemon or lime juice

3/4 inch ginger

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp cumin

2 tsp. oil

dash of asafoetida/hing (optional, you could also use a couple drops of garlic juice)

1 very large bunch chopped cilantro or 2 medium bunches

1 tbsp sugar (or less, taste and adjust to your preference)

Directions

Combine everything in a food processor except for the cilantro and sugar. Add the cilantro a bunch at a time and combine. Add 1 1/2 tsp sugar, taste, and add more if you like. You can also add more salt or lemon juice if you prefer.

Notes

These are perfect frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed. It’s best to freeze them as soon as possible after making the sauce to preserve color and flavor. Freeze completely, pop out of tray and into a freezer bag.

Mix 1 part chutney to 3 parts yogurt for a dip, 1 part chutney and 2 parts cream cheese for a sandwich spread or even as a component of a vinaigrette.I live this vinaigrette over tomato chunks, cuke slices, and thin red onion slices. You can soak the onion in water for 10 minutes, pat dry and make them quite muncheable.

Great chopped up and sprinkled on scrambled eggs, lovely with chickpeas cooked with tomatoes and cumin, I throw it into quesadillas, mix into raita for curries, etc. I HATED cilantro when I first ate it .... I had never eaten it prior to moving to LA at the age of 19. I ended up loving it, and eat it several days each week.

I made some Mexican Caldo soup but still have an absolute ton of fresh cilantro left over. What can I do with it?

Put it in a well sealed bag and burp out the air. When you are ready for some to go in soup or stew, the frozen cilantro will easily crumble if you get it out of the freezer and immediately crumble it straight into the pot--it's much easier than mincing! :)

I jokingly call it that because we are in a military community where I have served it to others who are now stationed in other parts of the world. I'm always asked for the recipe. It makes a HUGE batch and freezes well. The last time I made it it served 20 people. Here goes:

7 bunches cilantro (chopped)

7 bunches green onions (chopped)

10 lbs. chicken thighs

7 cans rotell diced tomatoes w/chili peppers

2-3 jalapenos (diced)

15-20 corn tortillas (cut into 1 inch strips)

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin (to taste)

Garnish with crushed corn chips (like tostitos), avocado (not guacamole), shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream

Get a HUGE pot (mine holds 20 quarts). Boil the chicken then remove and let cool. Remove the skins and shred off the bone by hand. Save broth and skim off fat. Add all ingredients except tortillas to the chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer for AT LEAST 4 hours. Add chicken broth or water if necessary. Add seasonings to taste---be generous---this is a spicy soup!) 30 minutes before serving add tortilla strips.

To serve: Put crushed chips on bottom of bowl, add cheese, then ladle soup on top. Garnish with sour cream and avocado (if you use guacamole it the soup will be spicier---beware!).

My husband likes this as a stew rather than the soup. If this is your style, just don't add as much water. Enjoy!