Menu

How do you do it?

I don't know if this is because it's mid-February and we are tired, I have made too many commitments, have multiple small children, or what but lately, I am *overwhelmed*.

I think I must be missing the super-multi-tasking part of my brain, but I don't seem able to keep up. The kids are happy, fed, clothed, etc. BUT -- The house is a disaster, we do not always get to do *fun* things for school because I am behind on preparing the activities. They are watching too much TV (things like Arthur and Magic School Bus, but still). I can't seem to keep up the dishes, my husband is now doing the laundry and caring for the cats, and I only get a "real" meal on the table 1-2 nights a week.

My husband leaves the house before 7am and is *never* home before 7pm, usually not before 7:30. We have a 5yo, a 4yo, and and almost 2. We live in the city limits and have a smallish house and tiny yard.

My oldest child is a competitive swimmer, which means practice 2x/wk, plus Saturday lessons. My daughter is in dance and swimming, and the youngest child also has a swimming class. Both older kids are in 2 HS PE classes at the Y (Monday and Friday) and we have co-op all day every Wednesday (where I am teaching bridge building and "Around the World" (a different continent each week) right now. The older two would like to add gymnastics to our schedule, but I don't think I can handle any more. As it is, we are home to have school only on Tuesday and Thursday (which means I push them hard since we only school 2 days a week, basically), and I plan on Sunday afternoons, but Sunday afternoon is our *only* relaxed family time.

On top of all this, I have several health problems that sometimes require us to spend 2 or 3 days during the week at doctor appointments.

I am seriously thinking of dropping co-op for a while, but that is the only semi-unstructured time they have with friends at this point and I would hate to take that from them.

Okay, so after typing all that out it seems like a lot more than I realized. What would you drop? It's getting to a point where I feel like I can't do a good job at anything because of lack of time, so I am doing as little as possible in practically everything. I have a hard time saying no though, and want to expose the kids to as much as possible.

Sorry to vent here, but I'm not sure non-HSing people would understand.

I'd keep co-op since you are committed by teaching, and drop the dance and p.e. classes-they're already getting exercise at swimming.

I definitely would not add gymnastics!

This is a good time for you to build a routine at home first, then add outside activities as they work for your schedule.

Your dc are so little~there will be plenty of time for them to do the other stuff later.

I just noticed the ages of your children! I would cut back all schooling to 5-10 minutes of phonics only. Then I would totally change my plans for next year so that I can have school at least 4 days a week, if not 5 or 6. (Math) It is infinitely better (and for some kids necessary to have only 20-45 minutes everyday, than to have two long sessions.

I would drop co-op after your 4 weeks are up. I would drop PE as quickly as possible. I would then spend time figuring out priorities so you have a framework to evaluate activities by. Just because an activity is good doesn't mean it's good for your family. Your kids are little and now is a great time to set good habits and a routine for daily life.

Our activities are Judo, Piano, Co-op, and Church Activities. All have been evaluated according to our long-term goals and they fit with them, and they do not start until after 2:30. Other things would be fun, but they would take us away from home more often. In addition to being home to homeschool, it is also important to our family to have a clean, organized home and dinner together as often as possible (5-7 times a week).

As far as the doctor appointments go, ds6 has some chronic health problems, and we had a stint one summer of going to the doctor 2-3 times a week for several weeks. I was thankful it was over the summer so I felt more comfortable relaxing our homeschool, but it was hard even then. Now when we have appointments, I've learned to pack work to take with us.

:grouphug: to you, and I hope you're able to find the peaceful balance that's right for your family!

If it were me I would scale way back on academics and sports. Just read aloud to them as much as possible and have fun. Do simple things that don't require prep time, like play in the mud, plant a bean in a cup of dirt, etc.

I would pick just one sport/activity for each of them and let them have more unstructured play time. My girls do a lot of activities (music, 4H, co-op, etc) but they are in their teens and we built slowly over time.

This is just my opinion. :001_smile:

Disclosure type thing::) We are very relaxed schoolers (nearly unschoolers). I followed the better late than early advice for academics.

ETA: Good luck and have a bunch of fun with them. There is plenty of time for sports, etc. later. I hope you find the right balance for you.

Edited by Denise in Florida

How much are you doing for school? I'm asking because when I was doing K and 1st with dd school didn't take much more than 45 - 60 minutes a day.

You really sound over extended. If anything I'd drop the PE. They are already getting a lot of physical activity with swimming. Honestly, I'd drop everything but swimming, dance and school until you get back onto level ground. When fall rolls around re-evaluate and see about the gymnastics.

With all of your outside activities when do you get family time? Just on Sunday afternoons? What does your schedule look like? Do you have a schedule? Aren't the outside lessons done after traditional school hours? If they are what is going on that you can't get school and chores done between 8a.m. and noon or 1ish?

Edited by Parrothead

Why are you even involved in a co-op?

I am sensitive to the fact that you have little ones and you feel the pressure of one being kind of school age (mandatory school age many places is 6 and sometimes 7), but you really don't need to do it all the first year.

It feels different to you now, but know that five or ten years from now you're going to laugh and marvel at yourself that you did so much when your kiddos were so little. I know because I laugh at my old self all the time and I am sure five years from now I'll think I was crazy now! (I'm currently in a middle school impending high school frenzy.)

Stay home. Quit everything but unavoidable health appointments. Bake, play in the yard, do a little school, read books, relax.... Go places like the library and the park not competitive swimming and co-op.

Edited by KJB

Thanks for the advice, all of you. :)

Yep, family time is pretty much just Sunday afternoons because DH doesn't get home until practically bedtime for the kids (we live near DC and he has a 90-min train ride each way). He does take off sometimes on Fridays (comp time when he works 4/10s). We let them stay up late on Friday evening to have movie night, but they *have* to be in bed and asleep by 9:30 even then because our Saturdays are crazy. What is going on with not getting everything done is that my K child is bored with what I am giving him to work on (Saxon 1 and ETC 3). I don't want to skip ahead to where he would be challenged because I am afraid he will not have the basic skills to build on later on. He dawdles and gets distracted easily because it is too easy for him, though. I sometimes end up sitting with him for hours to finish what should take us 20-30 minutes overall. He is manipulating me and I recognize that, but I am exhausted and out of "fight" right now.

As far as schedule, here is what it looks like...

Monday

8am - Kids get up, eat, dress

9am - leave for Y (takes 40 min to get in the car, get there and inside)

10-11:15 - HS Health and Wellness (running class, mostly)

11:15-12 - Put 4yo in Y daycare room to play. 5yo swim practice maybe

1pm - Back home and everybody is worn out. Day is shot at this point.

7pm - Ivan home. Eat dinner as soon as I am able to serve it.

8pm - Family Home Evening (religious lesson, activity, refreshment, etc)

8:30 - Kids in bed

Tuesday

8am - Kids get up, eat, dress

9am - Start school with 5yo. 4yo and 2yo play or watch TV.

12 noon-Pull hair out from frustration at 5yo staring at work,doing nothing

- Serve lunch

1pm - Tell 5yo he is on his own and I am done sitting with him

- Work with 4yo at this point

2pm - 4yo is long finished and 5yo still only has 2 or 3 words written

- Pay attention to 2yo.

7pm - Ivan home. Eat dinner.

8pm - Start bedtime routine. Read books together for 30 min in big bed.

8:30 - Kids in bed

Wednesday

8am - Kids get up, eat, dress. I pack lunches and car.

9am - Leave for co-op

3pm - Return home from co-op. Everybody exhausted.

7pm and on - Repeat evening schedule

Thursday

Repeat Tuesday schedule all day.

Friday

Repeat Tuesday schedule, but have to stop school at 12.

12 - Serve lunch

12:45 - Leave for Y HS PE class (1:45-3:15)

4pm - 5yo swim practice

5pm - Return home. Try to finish up school work for the week.

7pm - Dinner, then movie night. Kids in bed NLT 9:30.

Saturday

7am - Mom up and preparing everybody's stuff, lunch, etc.

7:30 - Kids up, dress, eat, run around looking for lost goggles, etc.

8am - Dad up

8:15 - In car and on way to Y.

9-9:45 - 4yo dance class

9:30-10 - 5yo swim class

2yo/Dad swim class

10:30-11 - 4yo swim class

11:30 -Leave Y. Go do errands for the week incl. groceries, HS store,etc

Afternoon/Eve. - Return home exhausted. Pass out on couch and hope

DH feeds kids, etc (not really, but you get the idea).

8pm - Bedtime routine. Kids in bed NLT 8:30

Sunday

11am - Church when I have the energy (not often enough, sadly)

2pm - Church lets out. Return home for lesson planning or free time.

Too much, huh? hahaha

I think you need a curriculum switch. Saxon and ETC both require too much writing. Saxon requires a lot of busy work. I think you need to adjust your teaching style/expectations. I have to be right with DD pointing to each problem for her, and usually reading it out loud to get her to focus. Phonics and math can both be taught very well at this age with no writing required.

Wow. I hardly know where to begin, given the excessive amount of outside activities on your plate. Please, please, please (((Melinda))), stop and consider the ages of your children. Consider how quickly these years pass. Consider how little they need ~ truly ~ in order to have a full life. I can't fathom having a 5 year old child in a competitive sport, attending practices/lessons three times weekly. Sounds like a recipe for burnout ~ not just on the part of the child, but on all affected family members.

Think about what's happening here. The message you're sending your children, already at their tender ages, is that being over-scheduled, being overly busy, being stressed to the point that you seldom enjoy family time together is acceptable.

I honestly think you need to assess what your goals are for your family. Not goals as in, "Win sporting events by age 5"; rather, what value you place on appreciating the world around you, the simplicity of a walk in the park, the freedom to settle in with a pile of books and plate of cookies. If you keep hurtling along on your current course, not only will these things not happen, your life will inevitably become more complicated and harried as the children grow.

What would I cut out? Just about everything. (And just because you already paid for something doesn't mean you have to see it out to the very end.) Schooling, at this point, can be minimal ~ and should be enjoyable. I don't advocate competetive sports for young children. I sincerely believe you need to go back to the starting line, so to speak, and get a fresh start without the array of commitments.

Best to you!

I agree with the 'drop everything' post and stay at home with your kiddos. They are sooooo young.

Play with them. Cook and bake with them. Make crafts with them. Read to them. Institute a 'rest' time during each day. Plan family 'field trips' when dh is home and able to go with you.

When they are 8-9yo, let them choose ONE out-of-the-house activity to be involved with. Do not add any more activities per child until they reach 12yo. Then, they could have two activities IF they are of differing natures (IE: not two sports/physical activities but one sports/physical and one musical/arts)

And, if the child is truly bored doing his school work, move ahead or change directions. Make a game out of it. Can he do him math (aloud to you) while going up/down stairs? Or while jumping on a trampoline (or furniture cushions)? These are things I did with my son and he just ate it up.

You do NOT have to do all of these activities. Your dc will NOT be stunted, impaired, or deprived in any way. Honestly. High school is the best time to add in more activities. That is when they will really need them and benefit from them the most.

I'm a BTDT mom. Homeschooling my oldest since he was in 4th grade and my youngers homeschooled all the way......in our 15yr now.

My first three kids were spaced like yours. I have one tiny suggestion - you need to find some alone time for yourself, or a hobby or time out with girlfriends. Not a lot, just once in a while to keep mom's saw sharpened. And a date with your husband once in a while would be nice. Kids do better with happy moms and happily married parents than with programs and activities.

And, no, your kids and homeschool cannot be your hobby :D

Hey, just saw your schedule and FHE on Monday and understand a lot better now. There is huge pressure to excel but you and hubby need to take charge and decide the definition of success for your own family. Sounds like things have just kind of spiraled. What is really important? What are your priorities? Your priorities for your family. Advice from extended family is nice but they don't have the accountability for the family. It is just interesting advice. And, you know you are supposed to have date night with your honey!

Edited by jcooperetc

Thanks, Colleen. I agree, this is way too much. Not even sure how it happened, other than my MIL is constantly telling me that I'm ruining my kids by isolating them and that we really need to have an organized activity at least once/day. I would rather be at home and enjoying ourselves for sure, but I definitely have the fear that I am going to end up isolating my kids and making them socially inept later on. As far as the competitive swimming thing goes, I always disagreed strongly with them for children under about 12 (if not older). Swim team has been his choice all along and while I support him, I really, REALLY wish he would decide he's tired of it.

At what age do co-ops or other "friend" activities become important? I hate that we are overloaded -- I am just trying to do what is best for my kids. I am overwhelmed, overextended, and exhausted all the time, though...something needs to change for sure.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It's okay to drop co-op. It might give you time to do some fun stuff. Can you cut back on "book" learning and use some educational videos? You know you can check those out at the library right? You can also get them from Netflix. Can any of kids help with household chores? It sounds like maybe you should just take a few days off. If you have to count days for your homeschool laws in your state, pop in an educational video, do a few math problems verbally and call it a day.

I hope you find some relief and feel better soon.

Well, we're kinda like you. I've had my kids in daily activities since they were little kiddos. I've done a lot of years where school was done over a two days schedule. And I would not have done it differently.

However, with a 5yo being your eldest, school should really take an hour or less. With you by his side at all time, with very little writing and lots of discussions with mom.

I remember showing my then 3yo daughter her letters while the 6yo was at the Y for a swim lesson. School can be sneaked in easily anywhere at those ages. Drop workbooks, switch your approach to school to a more relaxed one. Your kids won't suffer at all. A 5yo boy does not need to do seat work.

:grouphug: Melinda

#1--Tell MIL to mind her own business.

#2--Slow down and enjoy your babies. They are babies.

#3--I agree about minimal school and lots of arts/crafts and cooking. School should be fun. Go on nature walks, play outside in your tiny yard. Go to a museum or the zoo once in a while.

#4--I don't think I would wait until your 5 yr old is tired of swimming. Mom is tired of it, and sometimes that is enough. Activities are nice when they work for everybody. Your 5 yr old will be fine if he doesn't swim competitively.

#5--Set your priorities and get those done.

I have always thought most outside activities/classes are over rated. I'm sure a lot of people don't agree. My oldest does horseback riding classes once a week and a sewing class at 4H. My 5 yr old does nothing, but that is because she is going through a very timid stage. I would allow her one activity if she wanted to do one. My 3 yr old just tags along. This summer they will probably all take a swim class. And we do go to church on Sundays and some Wednesdays.

I find we have to spend some days at home, just being home. We occasionally do field trips. My girls like to be at home and so do I!

:grouphug: again.

I am committed to teaching co-op for 4 more weeks before the new session starts.

We are stuck in dance and swimming for the rest of the year (already paid for) but the HS PE classes could definitely be dropped.

Thanks!

Naw ... you're never "stuck". You may feel like you are, but you actually have the ability to quit any time you feel like it. I know, because I did it.

When our 5 hs'ed dc were 14 and under, we were doing several different sports for each of our ds's. Then, oldest dd began a couple of sports, too. Then came more and more travel along with skyrocketing expense with all the older dc's sports .... it just never seemed to end. And none of us even had any health problems on top of all the outside things. But one day I just decided that the school-we-weren't-getting-to was far more important than the other stuff. So dh and I sat down and called coaches and quit all of it. Mid-season, no less. NO one was happy about it, true, but I've never regretted it. And 25yos once said to dh that we should have taken him out of all the sports much earlier than we actually did.

Also, some things you may want to consider now, before you get in too deep with the outside stuff (esp. sports), are:

Time - it rarely ever decreases, but always seems to increase. This wouldn't be so disturbing except that their school also takes longer as they get older.

Money - this also always seems to increase as they get more involved in anything. Look ahead. How much are you willing to spend so your dc can do this or that thing down the road ... and don't forget the travel, consuming time and money.

Socialization - never seems to work out quite like it's supposed to. Our dc always seemed to pick up the worst habits from the other kids vs the best. And I wasted so much time trying to undo that kind of thing ... time better spent on things like school or hobbies they could do at home. Or better yet, grounding them in Biblical principles in preparation for the teen years!

Anyway, if you can find it within yourself to blurt out that all-important word NO, you won't regret it. And, believe it or not, they will eventually find things to do on their own, if given the chance. Things that will stay with them for life, like playing an instrument or art-type things or sewing or cooking or raising animals or writing for fun or ... the possibilities are endless. But they will probably never get around to it if they never have the time.

FWIW

I think you need a curriculum switch. Saxon and ETC both require too much writing. Saxon requires a lot of busy work.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. I've done Saxon 1 & ETC successfully with 3 (working on my 4th) 5 year old. You might need to modify, though.

Saxon 1 doesn't require much writing, and I disagree with the assessment that it's got busy work.

With ETC at that age I've cut down the writing portion when necessary (they tell me the answer and I write it for them or I have them draw lines to match the correct answer).

At what age do co-ops or other "friend" activities become important? I hate that we are overloaded -- I am just trying to do what is best for my kids. I am overwhelmed, overextended, and exhausted all the time, though...something needs to change for sure.

I just wanted to comment on your friend question. I firmly believe that at the young age of your children (and mine) that siblings should be their best friends. It is so important to foster that sibling relationship!

I know you are trying to do what is best. You are a good momma! Just reevaluate and start over. :grouphug::grouphug:

I just wanted to comment on your friend question. I firmly believe that at the young age of your children (and mine) that siblings should be their best friends. It is so important to foster that sibling relationship!

I know you are trying to do what is best. You are a good momma! Just reevaluate and start over. :grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree: They truly can be great friends, if given the chance.

:grouphug:Melinda:grouphug:

I want to repeat the advice you've been given.

Ignore your mother in law. Really. Your children are YOUNG - they do NOT need to be out of the house every day!

Don't discuss your homeschooling problems/struggles with people who disapprove of homeschooling.

You and your dh need to regroup and reprioritize. Be ready to cut anything and everything. I can't tell you what your family ought to cut, but I can tell you that in your place, I would cut almost all of it. Your schedule exhausted me just reading it - and I'm considered a high-energy, lots-of-activities kinda gal!!

Many 5yo boys are *not ready* for lengthy, sit-down academics. Two ten-minute lessons might be far more profitable than trying to do a half-hour of work at once. Many people delay formal academics altogether until age 6 or so.

You said you are overwhelmed, overextended and exhausted. That really has to change and it can't under your current schedule.

:grouphug:

Anne

Yet another vote for the drop everything option. And I agree with Colleen's advice to think long and hard about family goals and priorities before adding anything in.

Now, I am actually a fan of getting out of the house every day with kids that age, but I like low-stress activities: library story hour, walking to the local glass-blowing place and watching the artisans, park days. The sort of activity that requires no preparation and no commitment and can be easily skipped if you are tired or sick or just don't feel like it. (This has nothing to do with socialization and everything to do with Mom's mental health. It might not apply to you.)

As for when to start outside activities, your son will start Cub Scouts at 8, I'm guessing? I see no real need to do anything formal until then.

First of all, :grouphug:! That might be what you need the most!

I just wanted to say that I totally understand how sometimes it feels like you have to do all of those 'good' things for your kids--you just want the best for them, and you see how each one can bring something positive and be worthwhile. And I really think that in our society today there is a kind of pressure to have kids start too early and try to excel at everything. I've often gotten myself a little caught up into this thinking sometimes, too. Take a deep breath, really look at what your priorities are and then figure out which of the outside activities can go. (I suggest reading "Good, Better, Best" by Dallin H. Oaks, I think it was--fairly recent LDS Conference address, you can find it at lds.org).

On the homefront...I know it's hard when dh is gone so long, you are tired, and you still have to make dinner. My suggestion is to make a list of easy healthy meals that go together with little energy. Then be sure to stock up on the ingredients for these. Don't think gourmet--think easy and healthy...even if it is canned soup, grilled cheese & broccoli. My best days are those when I have dinner figured out in the morning--not necessarily made (although crockpot or frozen-ahead meals are truly my favorite), but at least planned. You can also simplify by baking a whole bunch of chicken & shredding it to freeze or cooking up a bunch of ground beef to freeze in smaller portions--throwing meals together is a lot easier when the meat is already cooked.

The other comment I have is about Saxon. It sounds like maybe you need to go with level 2--if 1 is too easy & too repetitive. On the Saxon website, you can compare the scope & sequence of each grade level--it might be worth looking at closely. All three of my dc have skipped Saxon levels in order to be at an appropriately challenged instructional level.

Good luck!

We did all that you do when my kids were young, and we had the same trouble of keeping up. My kids are now 8, 5 and 3, and things are sooooo much easier now that all of the kids can pick up after themselves, no more diapers, no more bottles, no more crying babies, and now we have time for fun stuff too. Give it some time, and until the kids are a bit older give yourself a break. :grouphug:

I agree with the 'drop everything' post and stay at home with your kiddos. They are sooooo young.

Play with them. Cook and bake with them. Make crafts with them. Read to them. Institute a 'rest' time during each day. Plan family 'field trips' when dh is home and able to go with you.

When they are 8-9yo, let them choose ONE out-of-the-house activity to be involved with. Do not add any more activities per child until they reach 12yo. Then, they could have two activities IF they are of differing natures (IE: not two sports/physical activities but one sports/physical and one musical/arts)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:There is no way ANY of my kids would EVER be on a competitive team of anything. You know why? I've seen too many moms and families who are slaves to the one kid's love of a sport. One of my homeschooling friends said, "Our entire lives revolve around her soccer." WHY??? Why on earth is your 5 year old on a "competitive" swim team? Even if he's the fastest swimmer in 3 counties - so what? I just don't get it.

I totally agree with the above guidelines. 1 activity at first and then when older, if you don't have too many kids, 2 activities of a different nature. That's it! Give yourself permission to just let it go! You will all be better off for it.

I agree with Collen. I would drop it all. Every single thing. Your children don't need it at that age. (I would argue that they don't NEED it at any age:-) Your top priority is to run a home where people are cared for and there is a feeling of peace and calm. If that is missing, you need to do everything possible to find it again.

I have five children and my oldest just started an outside sport (other than the very occasional 6-8 week thing) last year when he was 10. My husband is also gone 10-12 hours each day, so it is a priority of mine to have a nice, warm dinner on the table when he returns from work at about 7:30. We have school lists and chore lists and don't leave the home, unless absolutely necessary, until our work is done. Sometimes we go 2-3 days without leaving home! But it's OK with all of us. My kids are great friends with one another and they find plenty to do around here - I just love that.

You can't have this time back again. Enjoy it while you can: reading together, playing together, singing together. All too soon they will be out of your home...make your memories while you can. Your kids will not fondly remember a frazzled mom and swimming practices twenty years from now, but they will fondly remember quiet times snuggled together on the couch with their calm, loving mom.

Blessings as you seek to re-prioritize.