Menu

Looking for some fun Math board games....any ideas?..

twoblessings

Muggins Math has quite a few.... We have Jelly Beans and Knock Out on our board (one on each side of the board) & my ds has enjoyed them.

I originally bought them at a curriculum fair a few years ago or you can order online.

Monopoly is another good way to practice counting, money, addition & subtraction, etc.... Be sure to let the child be the banker, lol.

Sum swamp.

We got 10 sided dice to make it more effective. It's designed for addition and subtraction, but you could modify it for multiplication and division.

For that matter, you could just use 10 sided dice with many board games instead, and also use multiplication. You could multiply and then divide by 10 and round or multiply and then add the 2 digits to get the sum that they have to move.

Sum swamp also does evens and odds if you need work with that still.

For this age I recommend Yatzee. It covers addition and multiplication, but most importantly it is fun! Five dice are rolled and the players must collect several combinations and score them appropraitely. It also gives a feel for probability.

We *love* Muggins (but think Knock-Out is lame). It's just a great game *and* great math-thinking practice. It's probably too much for most 2nd graders, but once they can do simple multiplication and division pretty comfortably, it's a fantastic game. I have Muggins on one side and Knock-Out on the other. Don't like KO at all (the game play just isn't good), but Muggins is fantastic.

This may be a bit too advanced for a second grader, but do keep Cribbage in mind. We are teaching our 4th grader and she really enjoys it.

You would need to get a Cribbage board for two (or even a three-handed version) and a deck of playing cards.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Dino Math Tracks is perfect for this age and the kids really like it:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1234199056-1438953

Worth the price IMO

Scholastic also has tons of cheap ($6-$8) math games in their reading club fliers. My kids like the Monster Truck math and Fruit pizza fractions game.

Math war is always fun. Card game but easy to learn.

Smath is another one that we have but have not tried it yet.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/S%92MATH+Game/028295/1234199056-1438953

There are also tons of different kinds of dice-many sided, fractions, money, etc. My kids like to come up with their own games sometimes with the many kinds of dice I have.