Menu

Coupons, long lines, & guilt...

I've been spending hours poring over store ads, clipping coupons, etc. Albertson's had an instant $5 off when you buy 10 mix & match items this week. I matched my coupons & the result should have been:

6 boxes of Golden Grahams, $2 ea - 2 coupons for $3 off ea = $6

2 cans of Campbell's soup, $1 ea - coupon for 40c off, doubled = $1.20

2 containers of yogurt, $1 ea =$2 (I know, insane, but once you figure the $5 off, it rounded out my 10 items.)

Total: 9.20 - $5 instant savings = $4.20 Incredible deal. Worth going to another store. Right?

But because the total at the counter never seems quite right, I bought *just* these items. I figured I'd take them out to the car & come back for the rest of my shopping.

Sure enough, the total rang up $7.20. The lady was training 3 other checkers. She was the only lane open, except for self-check. The customers behind me began muttering when I eeked out my "Yeah, but..."

The cereal rang up 50c/box too much. I didn't have the ad to show her the price. She waited. Finally, she sent one of her 3 trainees to the lane next to us, & she pointed to the section for $2 items, where several kinds of cereal were advertised. I pointed to the $1.50 section where Golden Grahams were advertised.

She said she had no way of knowing if I'd gotten the right size boxes. I told her I checked the price tag (which was labeled w/ the 10 items sale tag). She didn't send anyone to go check, though. She called her manager.

Then she told me that the $5 would be taken off at the end. Ok. So we stand there staring at ea other for another minute. I ask, "Isn't this the end?" And she manually takes $5 off.

Now my total is $2.20. For 6 boxes of cereal, 2 cans of soup, & 2 containers of yogurt. Everybody--the 2 old guys behind me in line, the 3 teen-age trainees, the checker--is staring at me like I'm a louse. A thief. But worst of all--a holder-up of lines.

But wait. It gets worse. Dh & I have made a budget, complete w/ cash envelopes, etc. So I'm paying w/ cash. All I have is a $20 bill. Everybody *sees* that I HAVE the $7.20. Everybody *knows* that I think I'm entitled to a better deal. I have a box of coupons w/ me. I'm one of *those* women. Who'll haggle someone out of any profits at all.

I'm wishing I could pay $4.20, but it would slow the line down even more, so I give the lady my $20. She tells the teens how to make change & asks me if $2.20 is closer to what I was expecting to pay. And there's a tone to her question.

I don't think I"m cut out for coupons. The emotional stress is just too much. I ended up going to another store for my other groceries.

It was my 3rd stop. :auto: The 1st one was sold out of too many of the couponed items & lectured me about how I could get a rain check but I couldn't get the sale price on my other 9 items because it was $5 off if you buy TEN. (Same deal at Kroger & Albertsons.) Nevermind that a manager had just told me that they'd give me $4.50 off of 9. The checker didn't want to call him.

I ended up buying groceries at Walmart. I don't go to WM. And this was the one on my side of town, where if you want to buy electronics, you can't call to see if they have them in stock. The theft in that store is so high, there's no telling what's in stock. And they have sewer issues, the checker told me as we together pondered what that smell was. :001_huh:

Did I mention how I feel about coupons?

I dread groc shopping (w/out coupons) so much that I fed the dc pb crackers for *lunch* twice last week & still didn't go to the groc store.

This has not been a rant. It's a public service warning. Against coupons. And standing behind me in line.

If I know I have a large amount of coupons I try to go when the store will be least crowded. I use CVS and Walgreens a lot for their deals on toiletries. We have a couple 24hour stores so I don't feel bad if takes long. My normal grocery store, Publix, is only open certain hours. When the store first opens there is only one cashier and after noon it's packed, so I try and go around 9-10. However, I tend to find generic brands the cheapest even with coupons. I am not someone you want to be behind in the grocery store because I write down all the prices next to my shopping list so as they are ringing it up I am closely watching. Our store has a policy that if the price rings up more than what is advertised then you get the item free. I have fought clerks who have tried to correct the price rather than giving it to me free as clearly posted at each check stand. I use to work at the store when I was a teenager and actually know the manager now. He jokes that I am always causing problems. I hate to say it but grocery prices are becoming too expensive not to cut coupons.

Okay - as someone who used to (and should get back into) use a LOT of coupons (and I did the whole freebie hunting/contest entering thing too), I have a couple of things to say....

1. YOUR money is YOUR money - and you are being wise to make the best use of it that you can. U R SMRT MOM. :thumbup1:

2. YOU are NOT responsible for cashiers who do not know what they are doing. Did you train them? Nope. Management problem.

3. YOU are NOT responsible for a store having less staff on shift than they should have - this cashier was training 3 newbies and all they had open was the training cash and a self check? Management problem. (and those poor newbies who have someone training them who doesn't know what she's doing. *sigh*. Still not your problem though. Management problem.)

4. YOU are NOT responsible for the moaning & groaning of people in line behind you - see numbers 2 and 3 above to find out who's problem that actually is.

Use your coupons - and use 'em proudly. Half of those grumblers are prolly grumbling later about how much their groceries cost 'em. ;)

(do I sound selfish and uncaring? I'm not. I just believe that we have every right to save as much of our hard earned money as we can - within the rules, of course - and it really ticks me off when people get snooty about it. Especially cashiers who act like it's coming out of their pockets when you save a buck. ~not saying yours did, but many act that way! ~ ....oh and I'm not heartless - if I have a big order with lots of coupons and reduced items and what have ya, I may tell a few people to go on ahead..only if that's workable though...if I had a tired cranky toddler in tow, it's a lot less likely!)

Okay - as someone who used to (and should get back into) use a LOT of coupons (and I did the whole freebie hunting/contest entering thing too), I have a couple of things to say....

1. YOUR money is YOUR money - and you are being wise to make the best use of it that you can. U R SMRT MOM. :thumbup1:

2. YOU are NOT responsible for cashiers who do not know what they are doing. Did you train them? Nope. Management problem.

3. YOU are NOT responsible for a store having less staff on shift than they should have - this cashier was training 3 newbies and all they had open was the training cash and a self check? Management problem. (and those poor newbies who have someone training them who doesn't know what she's doing. *sigh*. Still not your problem though. Management problem.)

4. YOU are NOT responsible for the moaning & groaning of people in line behind you - see numbers 2 and 3 above to find out who's problem that actually is.

Use your coupons - and use 'em proudly. Half of those grumblers are prolly grumbling later about how much their groceries cost 'em. ;)

(do I sound selfish and uncaring? I'm not. I just believe that we have every right to save as much of our hard earned money as we can - within the rules, of course - and it really ticks me off when people get snooty about it. Especially cashiers who act like it's coming out of their pockets when you save a buck. ~not saying yours did, but many act that way! ~ ....oh and I'm not heartless - if I have a big order with lots of coupons and reduced items and what have ya, I may tell a few people to go on ahead..only if that's workable though...if I had a tired cranky toddler in tow, it's a lot less likely!)

You did nothing wrong. Nothing!

I've had a few incidents similar to yours. I find that there are a few checkers whose line I avoid because they get impatient with the coupons. However, I am following store policy and I refuse to feel guilty.

One more thing... If the store manager found out you went to Wal-Mart because of that episode, they would not be happy. They want you in that store! You might consider giving the manager a call and tell him what happened. It sounds like his employees need better training.

Okay, I'm only gonna comment on one tiny part of this... ;)

Peanut butter and crackers are an okay lunch. I bet a huge number of us had peanut butter and crackers for lunch on many occasions as kids. And I bet many of us have given pb and crackers to our kids for lunch at some time (or many times) as well. We can't do peanut butter at my house, but dd has sunflower butter and apples or the kids have had hummus and crackers many, many times. Or bread and cheese. Or lentils and rice. Or...

Peanut butter and crackers is one part of this that you just shouldn't worry about. ;) Yeah, they need some fruits and veggies some time. But the occasional (or even frequent) pb & crackers lunch (assuming otherwise relatively decent nutrition) won't hurt 'em at all. Does that help?!?

LOL.

I just noticed you are in DFW. I'm in Ft. Worth. So...I'll be happy to stand behind you and stare down anyone giving you a hard time. Sheesh...some people do need to get a life.

Part of what you wrote in this post is from your own mind. *You* feel stressed and are worrying that others are looking at you differently. That's a female thing. Men don't seem to worry so much about what other people in the store are thinking. I've had to work a bunch of years to over come that feeling.

Besides....

who cares what the folks in line behind you are thinking? Patience is a virtue. :D This is good training for them. REally, you are doing them a favor.

Plus, who CARES what the SALES gal thinks? This is a real irritant to me. From time to time I point out to a salesperson that *I* am profit, they are overhead. I have to be pretty darn steamed to say anything, but I can stand there with an attitude too.

If you have problems with the checker's attitude, hunt up the manager and have a chat with him or her. The store sales are there to get customers in the door. You shouldn't have to put up with attitude. You are just being savvy enough to take full advantage of them. Smart you. Point out to the manager how many other stores are nearby.

We pay with cash and often have to have someone go check prices so we get our fair deal. If the stores ran like they should, very few people would have to wait behind us. Pity its become our job to do their job, too.

You are not the only one shopping this way. Hang in there. You'll figure out which checker gives you the least hassles at each store. It will get easier the more you do it.

I don't have time to read al the replies, but I noticed that you said you spent hours looking over your ads and coupons. Try www.couponmom.com. Once you are registered, you can log in and check your stores local deals. She gives you a list of the sale items matched up with your coupons and will tell you in which Sunday paper insert a coupon can be found to match the sale.

Also, she has a database there, so you can go to the database, plug in the name of the product you need, and it will tell you where to find a coupon to match.

Also, there are coupon trading forums where you can trade your unwanted coupons for wanted coupons. Once I traded 4 snuggly fabric softener coupons for 12 kashi cereal coupons. Our store was having a sale on Kashi cereal so I got 12 boxes for $12 combining coupon and sale.

I Our store has a policy that if the price rings up more than what is advertised then you get the item free.

This was the policy at Albertson's too. It's one of those things they don't advertise, but as of last year, was still the official policy.

I agree with the others. Keep on clipping those coupons!! It's YOUR money, and kudos to you for getting such deals. :001_smile: I am jealous!

Don't let the laser stares of people behind you get to you. Do I like to be behind someone who takes a long time? Nope. Do I grumble and fuss out loud, or shuffle my feet to show my impatience? Nope...because sometimes *I* am the person with the coupons and the items wringing up incorrectly. One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is being charged incorrectly and having cashiers who don't know the job. (I know that's two things, but I consider them to be sort of the same :tongue_smilie:). It's the STORE's responsibility to make sure that items are being priced correctly, and it's OUR responsibility to make sure we aren't paying too much....in our Publix, I have to bring my ad with me, as the sales are "good through Tuesdays", yet, the sale signs are down on Tuesdays, and I get charged regular prices. I have to fight for the sale prices, so I bring my ad, which is always honored, but I feel for those who buy not knowing the items are supposed to be on sale (really ticks me off!). I also know which cashiers to avoid.

If I had been treated the way you described in your post, I would have taken great joy in going from the cashier's line right to the customer service desk and complaining. It would have only taken a minute. I don't know what is happening in stores, but it seems like people with brains are not applying for jobs that require thinking and basic manners, so the stores have to hire from the application pool of lazies. I have come quite close to complaining at my local Target store, where the majority of cashiers could care less that I'm there and have horrid body piercings, 'tiger lady' fingernails, or ripped and worn out work clothes. It's become worse than shopping at my local Wal-Mart (where I only shop out of desperation).

Keep using those coupons, and the next time you go in with your stack, hold your head high and remember ~~your friends from The Hive are with you! :D

(the other) Heather in Al

I work in a retail pharmacy. I ring people up at a register all day long. When someone is in my line, it is Their Turn. They can take as long as they need, as long as it has to do with the order. Write a check, double check a price, ask me a question about something I just rang up...as long as it is professional, legit, time appropriate (don't ask the clerk to get 5 more, different items that you forgot) and not purposefully deceitful, then take as long as you need.

It was the stores fault that you needed to correct them, not yours. All you were asking for was the advertised price. It was the cashiers fault that she made you feel any other way. Prices should be right, and most stores have a policy that if the price rings up wrong, you get the item for Free. The store is breaking the law by not having the register ring up the price marked, they should be thanking you for catching the error and not making you feel bad for it.

Personally, I will correct a cashier, if they do something in my order that results in money back in my favor, unless they have been acting like a dolt. I have tried to correct a dolts before and they just end up, arguing with me, telling me I am wrong, I do don't bother arguing with dolts anymore. In this case she should have given you the items for free anyways (Albertson's used to have this policy anyways) and so to that end, you still over paid :0).

She is the one who didn't treat the situation with class not you. She is the professional, she should have acted like one. It really isn't complicated to have someone check a price and size of a box, especially if the display is viewable from the check stand. This should have taken maybe 30-60 seconds! She should have had an ad in her check stand, to verify price/size. All of these are not your fault. All you did was try to be a customer. Without customers....there is no store!

She was the one in error dear, not you. Coupon shop away and remember that when you get to the front of the line...it is your turn! Take the time you need. You are a paying customer just like everyone else. Coupons are just like cash to a store.

I coupon as well. I've found the self checkouts to be great. I see exactly the price that's ringing up. I see if the $5 came off each time. I see the coupons coming off as the person scans them. I know exactly what's going on. If someone gives you attitude go to management. That's the only way they will be trained correctly. With this economy, customer service is becoming important again. I'm in Krogers all the time and I know who to avoid. Self-check out is the easiest, imo. Don't give up. The mega deal is great! I got lots of free hormel chili, french's mustard, frank's hot sauce, green giant steamers, tomatoes...and some really cheap nature valley and fiber one bars, and 75c/pkg kraft cheese! Don't give up!

Lisa

The mega deal is great! I got lots of free hormel chili, french's mustard, frank's hot sauce, green giant steamers, tomatoes...and some really cheap nature valley and fiber one bars, and 75c/pkg kraft cheese! Don't give up!

Lisa

Wasn't this great? I saved 77% last time I went in...rumor has it they may be extending it another week.... :party:

Now Aubrey, just hang in there! I am new to couponing but am quickly becoming a coupon queen. :D I think we all have times when we go in and just make a mess of everything. But I am finding that the more I do it, the better I get and the more confident I get, too. When I shop, I take the store ad with me and have coupons in hand. When I pick up the item, I make sure that I make sure that the item I put in my cart is EXACTLY what both the ad & the coupon are for. (Size, quantity, etc.)

When I cut coupons, I put them all in a binder (baseball card sleeves) and take them with me. That way, say for the Kroger 10 promo, if they are out of something, I can just look through my coupons for something else in the promo and switch it out. I think everyone's kind of sorry-out-of-luck w/ the current promo and rainchecks - you'd have to buy 10 of something to get the savings again. Agh.

I have resulted to going at the break of dawn W/O KIDS! when everyone's still asleep. Stores are pretty stocked and pretty dead.

It has also been helpful to join something that helps you with your couponing, like someone mentioned. There's also CouponSense and Grocery Game.

What people have recommended to me is that after you check out, pull your cart to the side and go over your receipt. If something's not right, take it up to the management/customer svc. I know many people who will get a dollar, or whatever the correct amount is, handed back to them. Then, that's an opportune time to mention that they only have one lane open and it is being used to train....:confused:

Stick with it...saving $$$ feels great!

Most people are understanding that others want to get the best deal. I don't know anyone who patiently waits for anything, though. Lines are a necessary evil. Waiting makes it painful.

However, that isn't your problem! YOU take care of your budget, coupons and all, and don't worry about those behind you. Smile that big Texas grin and have a great day!

If I know I have a large amount of coupons I try to go when the store will be least crowded. I use CVS and Walgreens a lot for their deals on toiletries. We have a couple 24hour stores so I don't feel bad if takes long. My normal grocery store, Publix, is only open certain hours. When the store first opens there is only one cashier and after noon it's packed, so I try and go around 9-10. However, I tend to find generic brands the cheapest even with coupons. I am not someone you want to be behind in the grocery store because I write down all the prices next to my shopping list so as they are ringing it up I am closely watching. Our store has a policy that if the price rings up more than what is advertised then you get the item free. I have fought clerks who have tried to correct the price rather than giving it to me free as clearly posted at each check stand. I use to work at the store when I was a teenager and actually know the manager now. He jokes that I am always causing problems. I hate to say it but grocery prices are becoming too expensive not to cut coupons.

Well, it was the middle of a week day, & I only had 3 coupons.

Our store has the same policy about getting an item free if it rings up the wrong price, but I have yet to win that one.

. . . and say, sweetly, "Oh, are you volunteering to cover the difference?"

Do not ever be ashamed to insist that stores sell to you at their advertised price. Bait-and-switch and "accidental" discrepancies between shelf price and register price were a common way to cheat the customer until customers started noticing and complaining.

. . . and say, sweetly, "Oh, are you volunteering to cover the difference?"

Do not ever be ashamed to insist that stores sell to you at their advertised price. Bait-and-switch and "accidental" discrepancies between shelf price and register price were a common way to cheat the customer until customers started noticing and complaining.

Yes to what PariSarah said.

Aubrey, you sound like you are a very very very nice person. Time to unleash that Mamabear inside of you. If you are going to the store to take advantage of an advertisement that they don't want to honor, that is like THEY are stealing food out of your children's mouths.

OK, I know you probably feel like those things you said you feel like. I have to tell you you shouldn't. A store should honor what they advertise. If they said they were going to do that then they SHOULD have done that and you shouldn't feel bad for holding them to their word. You did nothing wrong. They did. Why do you feel bad? Because other people in the store were judging you? Do they have to feed your family for you? Clothe them? Clean them and your home? Let them take their judgements and put them you know where? You did nothing wrong. I would actually keep going there with a box of cupons just out of spite if this is going to be the way they do things.

I hate to upset people behind me, too. When I was learning how to drive I hesitated at the light, and 1 second later, horns started blaring. My mother said ignore it, they won't pick up the pieces if you crash. How true! And since no one behind you was willing to hand over extra money to cover the store's mistake, they can just wait! I am a big coupon user, and when I see I am making people wait, I usually turn to them, and nicely apologize, and say I'm just trying to save money in this economy. Nowadays people really seem to get that, and I have had people ask me how I do it!

Use those coupons, and don't worry!

Veronica

Yup. When someone runs over me w/ their cart, I apologize. I was standing there in line, silently saying to myself, "I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry."

But then I got to the car, & a guy came to get my cart for me. I almost confessed everything to him & begged for forgiveness. :lol:

I think partly it was a bad day. I overheard the cashier tell someone she was covering for someone who didn't come in. The mgr she called was on a conference call. Another mgr went RUNNING out the door while I was in line after a pharmacist called for "A manager in the pharmacy NOW NOW NOW!!!"

Maybe it would help to ask one of the mgrs when is usually the best time for coupon-shopping. Maybe then it would be easier to get the right prices w/out gumming up the works.

The thing is, at dead times of day, they close everything except the self-check. W/ only 1 lane open, I wonder if that could be worse? Hmmm....

1. You're a customer just like everyone else.

2. You did your part, you shopped at their store, used their promotions and coupons are a part of the business. Your job as a customer was accomplished.

3. Instead of feeling bad about people behind you, ask the cashier if another lane could be opened- it is THEIR job, not yours to take care of customers. :D

4. You SAVED money!!! You should enjoy the DEAL you got!!! :hurray: You owe no one anything, they could get the same deal if they spent the same time you spent...but they didn't.

As for customer service at the places you shop, you have to complain for it to get better. You have to leave suggestions or ask to speak to a manager above whomever you're dealing with. I know you won't do that but even writing a letter would be better than nothing. Part of the reason customer service has deteriorated is b/c people stopped holding others accountable. You bet I'll tell a cashier s/he's being rude if s/he holds a conversation with another cashier (non-work related) the entire time s/he checks me out. It's rude and horrible customer service.

As far as trying to fleece you, I don't think that's the case. The problem is lack of customer service and consideration. At our store, we walk a customer to where an item is located or they get specific verbal location, Aisle 8 on the right halfway down on the top shelf.

If there is a price difference in any way, an employee walks over to where the customer got the item and checks it. If we did anything wrong (mislabeled, etc.) we honor the price THAT time and fix it immediately.

I'm sorry for your experience and it's wrong that you were treated that way. I wouldn't quit using coupons or anything you're doing...look at what you saved! Wow. Next time you're given attitude ask them flat out, 'do you want my business or not?' You might be embarrassed for doing it but goodness, why should YOU get hassled for shopping ANYWHERE?