Menu

Other than red...what is your favorite wine?

Actually, while the category was ruined by truly awful wines being marked as such, a *GOOD* Rosé wine can be a real pleasure. Especially as the weather turns warm/hot.

I know, people are going to say vile, disgusting, yuck! And I'd have said the same once (not knowing any better).

But a good Rosé can be a pleasure.

Bill (defender of lost causes :tongue_smilie:)

Actually, while the category was ruined by truly awful wines being marked as such, a *GOOD* Rosé wine can be a real pleasure. Especially as the weather turns warm/hot.

I know, people are going to say vile, disgusting, yuck! And I'd have said the same once (not knowing any better).

LOL, Bill. I agree...A good one, mind you. But I'll give you that. BTW, I'm still laughing over your Queen Bee comment...tickled me to pieces. You are a riot!

Ria

Do you have a specific Rosé to recommend?

The only time tried it was at a family potluck. I think the wine in question came from a gallon jug and one could be forgiven for believing it was a home-brew whose first ingredient was simple syrup. :ack2:

Lately, we have been enjoying the Orvieto Classico by Ruffino. I thought it was a Pinot Grigio (tastes like that) but now looking at the bottle, I see it's not. It's only 3:00 p.m. here, so I am not sipping wine!

I will add, though, if you don't like red wine we might be different species. So take my recommendations with a grain of, um, grapeseed?

Julie

Vinho Verde aka Portuguese green wine

I like only a handful of reds, and very few whites (they inevitably taste like vinegar to me) but I have liked every single one of the green Portuguese wines. Casal Garcia & Gatao are two brands commonly available here but I've tried a bunch of others & been happy with them. They're cheap & they often come in funky bottles (why yes, appearance does matter:D)

Do you have a specific Rosé to recommend?

The only time tried it was at a family potluck. I think the wine in question came from a gallon jug and one could be forgiven for believing it was a home-brew whose first ingredient was simple syrup. :ack2:

There are many. We have the good fortune to have a great wine-house that makes it a specialty to stock good (cheap) Rosés. So I'd likely frustrate you to list obscure ones.

If you can find a wine from the Bandol region of France, you are likely to find a nice wine. Domaine Tempier is rather famous (and a little pricey for the notoriety) Bandol wine. This family winery was featured in cook-book Lulu's Provencal Table by Richard Olney.

There are many good (and very inexpensive) Spanish Rosés as well. They are worth hunting for.

Bill

I like Nobilo (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc. Oh, evidently, so does Wine Spectator

It's not at all insipid, as some whites tend to be.

The New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are so interesting. The "grass" associated with French versions is replaced with tropical notes like pineapple, guava and honey-suckle. Very interesting wines!

And NO OAK!

Bill

I do not like red wine at all.

"Red wine" is a pretty general term. I mean, a cab is not a shiraz is not a rioja is not a lemberger, kwim? Give me an idea which reds you've had. Anyway, generalizations like, "Chardonnay" aren't too very helpful either, since one chard (for example) can taste so different from another. If you tend to prefer "lighter" wines, consider a pinot gris or pinot grigio. If sweet is your thing, try a riesling or gewurztraminer. Fume blanc is a nice, dry sauvignon blanc that appeals to many tastes, too.

Anyway, generalizations like, "Chardonnay" aren't too very helpful either, since one chard (for example) can taste so different from another. If you tend to prefer "lighter" wines, consider a pinot gris or pinot grigio. If sweet is your thing, try a riesling or gewurztraminer. Fume blanc is a nice, dry sauvignon blanc that appeals to many tastes, too.

likewise one pinot gris is different from another....one gewurztraminer is different than another...they are all white wine varietals...

if you want to recommend a wine it is always good to recommend a label and a year...Chadonnay is a distinct varietal that I personally love:001_wub: but I don't love all chards~that is why I still recommend the Cakebread:lol:

Chadonnay is a distinct varietal that I personally love:001_wub: but I don't love all chards~

I enjoy the buttery-ness of the malolactic fermentation you get with (especially California) Chardonnays (to a point). But when they are tend over-Oaked, it can be a bit much for my taste.

Bill

I enjoy the buttery-ness of the malolactic fermentation you get with (especially California) Chardonnays (to a point). But when they are tend over-Oaked, it can be a bit much for my taste.

Bill

it does have a light buttery taste *nummy*...the first time I had it my hubby gave me the recommend saying, it has light buttery taste with a hit of "crisp" pear ...I knew it would be good....:lol: That was 3 years and about 7 bottles ago:D

Edited by homeschoolmomtutu
left out a word!

The New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are so interesting. The "grass" associated with French versions is replaced with tropical notes like pineapple, guava and honey-suckle.

Yes. They're interestingly fruity without being sweet. I like the grass, too, though. Oddly, I tend not to care for Australian wines. (This may be because the ones I have encountered have all been insipid Chardonnays)

I like Retsina, too. But I may be the only non-Greek that does.

That's what I was going to say, LOL - so I guess you don't want the name of any ports..... For a smooth white, you might try a German eisse wine. I'm sure I'm slaughtering the spelling, as I do with most things. Grapes picked and processed after frost are more sweet and yield a smoother wine. I think most are considered dessert wines. I just had a nice Liebfraumilch (again, I'm sure this is an incorrect spelling) on a trip that was also smooth. German whites are pretty great, overall.

Mmmmmm.... port. Yum. (Liebfraumilch is correct. See? No wavy red line.)

I think, inspired by this discussion, I will pour myself a lovely glass of spiced mead and camp out with my darling husband while waiting for Burn Notice to come on. (Which we will promptly not watch because we are old and it is past our bed time.:bored:)

Oh! They have mead at my local liquor store. I keep meaning to pick some up, but it says to drink it *soon* after opening so I keep waiting for a time when I can really indulge..... Do you enjoy yours? I've never tried it.....

This I actually made. It's really, ridiculously easy and WAY better than any I've ever bought. The spiced batch tastes like sarsaparilla or birch beer.

That's what I was going to say, LOL - so I guess you don't want the name of any ports..... For a smooth white, you might try a German eisse wine. I'm sure I'm slaughtering the spelling, as I do with most things. Grapes picked and processed after frost are more sweet and yield a smoother wine. I think most are considered dessert wines. I just had a nice Liebfraumilch (again, I'm sure this is an incorrect spelling) on a trip that was also smooth. German whites are pretty great, overall.
I've always thought the Eiswein was way to sweet. It might be just me though, because my husband loves it. It can be pricey though, so it's a treat when we get it.

I will second (and third and fourth and fifth!) the recommendation for Nobilo sauvingnon blanc from New Zealand. Monkey Bay is also nice, but Nobilo is just a smidge better in my opinion. If you're looking for something with a less distinctive taste, Clos du Bois produces a very nice chardonnay at a reasonable price. If you like pinot grigio, Cavit is good choice and it's not expensive.

I used to hate red wine but my husband prefers it so I eventually developed a taste for it. My favorite reds are Spanish riojas, with Montecillo being one of our favorites (especially the reserva). It's a mild red with a very smooth finish. Pinot noir is also a good choice since it's a lighter red than a zinfandel or a cab. Mark West and Sterling both put out a nice pinot noir.

Hope this helps!

Oh! They have mead at my local liquor store. I keep meaning to pick some up, but it says to drink it *soon* after opening so I keep waiting for a time when I can really indulge..... Do you enjoy yours? I've never tried it.....

Mead is kind of sweet for me (but I have an admittedly low tolerance for "sweet").

The Ethiopians make a version of mead called Tej. They flavor the Tej with a somewhat bitter herb, that does for Tej what hops do for beer. It gives the honey-based drink just a slight edge and balances the sweetness.

I like Tej.

Bill

Oregon and Washington also makes some good whites. I've been going through saved corks to find a particular favorite. I think it was from Oregon and called Call of the Moon. My husband and I had Cakebread on our first date years ago so we revisit that wine annually. We usually drink earthy reds but keep Clos du Bois Chard on hand for friends who prefer white.