Menu

I'm tired of homeschooling the tortoise and the hare. That is all.

Well...that is better than the tortoise and the interruption. :( They both take forever to finish. One, because he dawdles and the other because he is more worried about making comments about his brother's dawdling than he is about focusing on his own work. :glare:

I have the hare and the interruption... only my hare is 2 :(

We have those two at our home, too! The tortoise would be happy to do nothing in life but read (books of her own choice), listen to music, watch some dvd once in awhile, and eat.

It's seriously frustrating to me. I've read the book The Myth of Laziness and think she may have some neurological developmental issue blocking her productiveness. I just don't know what to do next. Not every doctor understands this, ya know?

Thanks for the support. The frustration is them leap-frogging each other when I'm trying to get them to finish at the same time to do a joint subject. Argh.

I know advice works so much better on the boards than in real life, but . . .

I'd be tempted to say, "At X o'clock we are going to work on X. If you are in the middle of something, you can finish it after we are done with X."

*heavy sigh* I have tried this. What happens is that tortoise ends up stacking up things he's behind on that if I were to have him do it later in the day in his "free time," there's no way he'd finish. I have to keep on him constantly to get moving and plot spare times he can finish things. We're pretty busy people and he doesn't have copious amounts of free time in the first place.

But I do thank you for the advice. I know you're trying to help.

*heavy sigh* I have tried this. What happens is that tortoise ends up stacking up things he's behind on that if I were to have him do it later in the day in his "free time," there's no way he'd finish. I have to keep on him constantly to get moving and plot spare times he can finish things. We're pretty busy people and he doesn't have copious amounts of free time in the first place.

But I do thank you for the advice. I know you're trying to help.

Andrew is a slow burner, but I've found that eliminating any clocks has helped very much. Granted, I don't have to teach another child (just attempt to keep them down to a dull roar), but I've found that when he's not aware of time passing, he actually goes faster.

My husband is the same way. If he has no time limit, and no clock, he works MUCH faster, gets WAY more done, and is finished much earlier than he would've otherwise.

Then, my tortoises are clock watchers too, they both spend half their time "thinking" rather than doing.

Well...that is better than the tortoise and the interruption. :( They both take forever to finish. One, because he dawdles and the other because he is more worried about making comments about his brother's dawdling than he is about focusing on his own work. :glare:

Oh my gawd....so this is why I have the perma-frown. How many times an hour am I shouting," Mind your own business!!! You have your own troubles to worry about!!!" :glare::glare::glare:

I'll be the bad guy and give less sympathy and more "we all work at our own pace." I have a slow eater. Last one at the table every.time. I finally realized we are just all wired differently and have to accommodate each other the best we can. Thank goodness the dawdler is homeschooled and has a better chance of being accommodated instead of being labeled as who-knows-what else in school. Sorry that all I had was the flip side of the coin and not the sympathy it ought have been! lol!

WTMCassandra, your subject line said it all!

:lol:

Yes, unfortunately, I have the tortoise & the hare here too. Coordinating joint work is major pain in the rear. There are times I've actually contemplated doing the very same thing twice in a day vs. trying to coordinate both of them at once... -- I really think that might be faster & less work on my part. :tongue_smilie: