Menu

What does assigned reading look like in your home?

plain jane

I never used to have to assign reading to dd as she naturally loves to read. This seems to have faded a bit since the dc recieved Nintendo DS for Christmas. I need to start being more serious about assigning reading to her and would like to hear what has worked for others.

She is in grade 2. How long is appropriate to assign her to spend in silent reading? I was thinking 1/2 hour for a book of my choice, then 1/2 hour to read any book of her choice? Is this enough? I was planning to select books from the VP catalog and SOTW AG to assign to her. She still tends to read to herself throughout the day, but less and less she is choosing from our library bin of history and science books. I want to make sure that she is reading those instead of just Magic Treehouse.

She also reads aloud to me every day from the McGuffy readers, and sometimes she also does the reading from STOW in history, so reading aloud is covered. I typically spend 1/2 to an hour every day reading to her as well.

When your dc read silently to themselves from a book that you have selected for them what do you do to ensure they understood, or actually read? Do you make them fill out a book report form, simply discuss out loud, have them do a narration? Is it necessary to do this all the time?

I don't require written work to see if dd has comprehended her reading--usually, she won't continue to read what she doesn't understand!

I assigned some books last year for second grade, but dd didn't care much for them. I tend to read aloud those I feel are really necessary for school.

I think you are doing plenty. Just my opinion on Nintendo--I'd nix it during the week.

You could just assign "library basket time" where she gets to choose any book or books to read but they have to be from the library basket.

I don't assign reading for school until 4th or 5th grade.

That's a great idea. I hope to do that. Not all the books are going to be related to history/science. I was going to have books from the VP literature selections as well.

How long should she be reading each day at her age?

My dd7 is also in 2nd grade. She is a good reader, so our reading generally looks like this:

She needs to read something that is her choice (one chapter, at least, of Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew at time is what its been lately)

She also has the read something that is my choice for literature, history and science. Her science books are usually picture books recommended in her science book (R.E.A.L. Science Earth and Space) - if they are easy or short, she finishes them, otherwise they stretch over a few days - I make her tell me about them (favorite part, something she learned, whatever) or else I will let her draw a picture for them (she doesn't usually do that for science books, but she does like to do it for history books).

Same drill for history and literature. I pick those books from SOTW AG.

Depending on the book, I like to have her read a chapter at a time.

I do not do reading by time (because I don't like to read that way, I prefer natural breaks in the book)

I will ocassionaly have her to book reports for books she reads for literature or herself (usually only ones she likes a lot). There are great ones at lovetolearnplace.com/bookreports

I don't assign reading until older. My dd is allowed to read in bed at night for as long as she likes or until I go to bed. Some night she reads for two hours or more.

I would tie the DS playtime to reading time - read 30 minutes to play 30 minutes. Unlimited gameplay will replace voluntary reading if you allow it.

So, my son has assigned reading each week that is part of my plan for history and science, plus some fiction that relates to history. For those things, I just assign the chapters or pages I want him to read, and he reads them.

He usually starts with some of his assigned reading over breakfast and may read some more over lunch (if he's not watching a school-related DVD). Anything he hasn't gotten to yet usually gets taken to his room or out in the backyard sometime during the afternoon. As he finishes each chunk, he comes and tells me briefly what is going on in the book and what he thinks of it. I may ask a few questions, but it's all pretty casual.

I don't assign "free" reading. Other than what he reads for school, my son is free to choose any book we as parents think is acceptable for him. He usually reads 30-60 minutes at bedtime and often another hour or so in the car while we're on our way to and from lessons and activities.

I don't start assigning reading until they're reading fluently. I choose age/ability appropriate fiction that usually, but not always, corresponds with our history cycle. I require they read a chapter or two, depending on length and complexity, and then orally narrate back to me. We generally discuss. Prior to assigning, I've already read the book. Sometimes dss will very much enjoy my selections, sometimes not so much. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Both my dss read independently for pleasure. This has nothing to do with their assigned reading. They read independently during quiet afternoons and at bedtime. Assigned reading is done during school time.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
correction

I started assigned reading this year with my second and fourth grader. I assign my 2nd grader a couple of chapters or a fairy tale to read each day. Then most weeks she has 1 or 2 assigned books to read for history as well. I also thought my DD was reading to many Magic Tree House books and needed to move on. I simply set a library limit and told her that she could only check out 2 a week. Then she had to start hunting around for other books to enjoy. HTH

This summer both of my boys had to read an hour a day= no logs, no narration. They could pick what they wanted from our book shelves. This thread made me realize that my 9 yo hasn't been doing much reading lately. I did let him know this week that he is to read 4 chapters of the Bible a day, which he actually is really enjoying. I am going to go back to an hour a day of reading. He is spending too much time begging to get on Ages of Empires:)

DS is a bookworm and would stay in his room and read all day if I allowed it. :) We go to the library about twice a week and pick out books. I place history and science books in a basket to read freely. He prefers the history books so I generally try and read the science books out loud during school time. I also assign 1-2 reading books per week depending on size. I have in the past required book reports but they turned into more busy work than anything. I know he is reading and comprehending the books because he is able to join in discussions related to the topics we choose. I get book recommendations from SOTW activty guide, MFW teacher's book, Sonlight, and Ambelside online. When we find an author we especially like we try and find more of thier books. I liked the idea of reading time = play time.

I started assigning reading in 3rd grade, I just used the SOTW AG and planned reading that fit with our history read alouds. I now use SL, which assigns reading, and DD also reads the read-alouds for her core to herself. (I couldn't get to both her and her little sisters RAs, so this was a nice solution!). I don't assign a time, just "xyz" chapter of whatever books. Her free choice reading is all up to her- I find she goes a week only playing her new DS or Wii game on her free time, then drops those and reads 5 books the next week. Since she reads a great deal for school, I don't care about free reading- totally up to her.She also does 12 hours a week of gymnastics, so if on off days she wants to veg with the DS for 3 hours, well, I'm fine with that.

My youngest is your childs age, but not a great reader. So her reading is all aloud to me right now, or me reading to her. While she does read the occasional book to herself, I couldn't assign reading to her to do alone at this stage. Hopefully next year.

I actually don't have assigned reading for my younger children. We have read a louds in history and science then they have free or independent reading books from the list provided by Classical Homeschooling and Ambleside Online. I do require an hour of reading a day.

My high school son has assigned reading and free/independent reading. He does a lot of reading.

I didn't have assigned reading time for my first two. They happily snuggle on the couch with a book.

My son 6 reads extremely well, but reading is not his activity of choice - so I let him choose whatever book he wants to, and insist on 1/2 hour a day.

Of his own choice he has just read Trumpet of the Swan by EB White - not a book I would have assigned to a first grader.

To check for comprehension I ask general questions, how did you enjoy the book ? where did Louise go ? what happened to him ? wasn't this bit funny ? I try to emphasis the enjoyment of the story, pull out the fun bits, ask him to tell me about the good bits or interesting parts of the story.

My eldest of his own comes to me and discusses what he has read in a book.

My second has Aspergers so her language is delayed, so my expectations of her are slightly less, but I still try to discuss with her as she is able.

Edited by inashoe

My dc have assigned reading and reading they choose on their own. I use reading comprehension curriculum. I like that it covers a wide variety of genres in short manageable lengths. I also like that it teaches facets of literature that I might not think of without help (i.e. personification, mood, foreshadowing, etc.). I use BJU for 2nd and up. I'm not using them in the lower grades because my ds was all ready reading and I felt that he needed something more challenging for K and 1st.

I also assign novel reading for my 6th grade dd. She just finished "A Wrinkle In Time" last week and will be reading "Elijah of Buxton" later this week. She has read several historical fiction books for the time periods in ancient history we are studying. For those books, I've had her do some assignments, but not for all. She's done book reports (I have a book with 100 ideas). I've also found discussion and study guides online for some of the books as well.

We always get "on their own" reading at the library. My dd is an avid reader and would do it all day long, so enough reading is never a question. I don't ever make her do any assignment with the things she chooses to read on her own.

My dc have assigned reading and reading they choose on their own. I use reading comprehension curriculum. I like that it covers a wide variety of genres in short manageable lengths. I also like that it teaches facets of literature that I might not think of without help (i.e. personification, mood, foreshadowing, etc.). I use BJU for 2nd and up. I'm not using them in the lower grades because my ds was all ready reading and I felt that he needed something more challenging for K and 1st.

I also assign novel reading for my 6th grade dd. She just finished "A Wrinkle In Time" last week and will be reading "Elijah of Buxton" later this week. She has read several historical fiction books for the time periods in ancient history we are studying. For those books, I've had her do some assignments, but not for all. She's done book reports (I have a book with 100 ideas). I've also found discussion and study guides online for some of the books as well.

We always get "on their own" reading at the library. My dd is an avid reader and would do it all day long, so enough reading is never a question. I don't ever make her do any assignment with the things she chooses to read on her own.