Menu

Any good Bible study recommendations?

I have plans to do Beth Moore's Daniel study this summer. I am just finishing up a study on the Kings of Israel. I'm looking for something to do over the spring, by myself. Any good recommendations? Would love something meaty.

I am in my second book club with the book "When I Don't Desire God" by John Piper. It is fabulous and very meaty! Also, if you desire to have a study that you write in, I would highly recommend the books "Solving Problems God's Way" and "The Fear Factor" both by the Mack brothers or father/son-I can't remember. Both books sound wimpy and cliche, but both are very meaty and right to the heart. The fear factor deals with fear of man vs. fear of God and is very good and the other one is explanitory. Each chapter will take you a bit to read and write in. They are ALL about God's word (AMEN?!?!) and are very solid. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any ?'s .

jen

I highly recommend Covenant, by Kay Arthur. For years I'd heard how paradigm-shifting the study was. If you're new to Precepts Bible studies, it's been released in book form. Either way, excellent, excellent stuff. In fact, I'm hoping to do it with my dh and oldest two children this winter.

HTH,

Lisa

Any of Kay Arthur's "New Inductive Study Series" books would be meaty -- if you like the inductive study method. You might also check out her "Lord, ..." books (like, "Lord, I Want to Know You" on the names of God, or "Lord, I Need Grace to Make It").

I did one this late fall/winter "A wife after God's own Heart", led a small group study for younger women by Kay Arthur called "Lord teach me to pray in 28 days", but my favorite solo study of 2008 was Beth Moore's loving Well". Just a short, 4 week journal study. Videos are available in a larger group setting but due to schedule conflicts I only saw 1. The journal study can easily stand a lone. It made a very lasting impression on me

I highly recommend Covenant, by Kay Arthur. For years I'd heard how paradigm-shifting the study was. If you're new to Precepts Bible studies, it's been released in book form. Either way, excellent, excellent stuff. In fact, I'm hoping to do it with my dh and oldest two children this winter.

HTH,

Lisa

I found "Our Covenant God"; is that the same one?

Any of Kay Arthur's "New Inductive Study Series" books would be meaty -- if you like the inductive study method. You might also check out her "Lord, ..." books (like, "Lord, I Want to Know You" on the names of God, or "Lord, I Need Grace to Make It").

:iagree:

I did my first Kay Arthur study this past fall and loved it. I have a BSF background (don't know if you're familiar with that?) and this study, while not as intense, still made some excellent points that had me thinking for weeks. It was the "Lord, Only You can Change Me" - a study on the Beatitudes.

Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh DeMoss is next on my list.

I also liked Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World--it was much lighter but had some interesting things to say.

I also just love Foster's Celebration of Discipline. It comes as a book and also has a study guide--or you can answer questions in the book at the back.

For something outside the box, getting a JPS Torah (Pentateuch) with commentary by Gunther Plaut (who draws on the great rabbinical sages of Judaism) and offers his own extensive commentary from a "Reform" (Liberal) Jewish perspective might at least open ones eyes to a different take on the Hebrew Scriptures.

Bill

I am in my second book club with the book "When I Don't Desire God" by John Piper. It is fabulous and very meaty! Also, if you desire to have a study that you write in, I would highly recommend the books "Solving Problems God's Way" and "The Fear Factor" both by the Mack brothers or father/son-I can't remember. Both books sound wimpy and cliche, but both are very meaty and right to the heart. The fear factor deals with fear of man vs. fear of God and is very good and the other one is explanitory. Each chapter will take you a bit to read and write in. They are ALL about God's word (AMEN?!?!) and are very solid. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any ?'s .

jen

Thanks for mentioning the Mack books. They look great! I am going to have to order them! Thanks.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/store.php

I am doing the first one on Acts right now. It is a spin off of BSF so very focused on the Bible. You learn a great deal. There are 6 lessons a week and it takes about 15 minutes a day to complete.

We did the book of Luke for our Ladies Bible study at church this fall and enjoyed it as well.

http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/store.php

I am doing the first one on Acts right now. It is a spin off of BSF so very focused on the Bible. You learn a great deal. There are 6 lessons a week and it takes about 15 minutes a day to complete.

We did the book of Luke for our Ladies Bible study at church this fall and enjoyed it as well.

Can you explain how it's a spin-off of BSF? Was it started from someone in that organization or just the format is similar? I *love* Explorer Bible Study so I'm curious! Thanks

You would have to double check at the website but I believe that some of the same people worked on both. The Explorer's Bible study is an "easier" version of what BSF does--takes less time per day and the leaders, etc. don't have to be trained like they are in BSF. If I remember right (and I could be wrong) it was designed for groups in more rural areas, etc. where they couldn't/didn;'t have a BSF group.

I am really enjoying the study. I like studying the BIBLE, not just reading a verse here or there and then studying someone's ideas about it.

Can you explain how it's a spin-off of BSF? Was it started from someone in that organization or just the format is similar? I *love* Explorer Bible Study so I'm curious! Thanks

Precept Ministries has wonderful Bible studies. Kay Arthur did write some of them, but not all of them. Precept Upon Precept studies require a trained leader (you can buy the individual study books for yourself, but the studies are much more comprehensive with a leader, and only leaders can buy the leader guides), but the New Inductive studies and the In-and-Out studies are very good. Kay Arthur has writen a series of devotionals, although I don't call them Bible *studies* (nor does she).

My friend and I have used Precept without a leader for years now. We simply discuss our lesson and then listen to the audio. One would gain much simply by studying the chapters and listening to the audio.

I don't care for the format of the New Inductive studies - it's nicer for me to have a workbook.

Tami,

could you post a link to the precept materials you use without a guide? I'm interested in the method of precept but can't get the 30 miles to town to check one out.

The idea of doing one on my own with audio/video? resources sounds good.

Thanks.