Menu

Do public high schools take homeschool students mid year?

My son is a (just turned) 16 year old 9th grader. (He is so much older because he has a fall birthday, plus I held him back a year.)

I can't get any work out of him. Everything is a struggle and I don't have any more energy. And I'm not going to have any energy for some time. I'm due a surgery this month plus 6 week recovery.

He is not an academic kid. He is a very social person. So he HATES being homeschooled.

I think this kid might actually do better in public school.

Would the public schools take him and put him in 9th grade mid year?

Surely they would not hold him back since he is older!

What do you think?

I enrolled my four sons in Feb. last year (ages 10-15 at the time). No problems. That said, only you know if your son is going to put forth effort in a school setting...there are many distractions, and many obligations he's probably not used to. If you honestly feel that this is the best place for your son, great, but go into this with your eyes open. Feel free to pm me.

You remain in my prayers, Rhonda.

Ria

My understanding is they (public schools) take students at any time. He may need to take a placement test and speaking with a school counselor is a great idea. I would give thought to his grade and your registration papers. Every family I've know that has gone to enroll their child(ren) has found the paper work process isn't nearly as scary as they envisioned. If I knew the school might be hostile, I'd just go in and skip the telephone calls. Many schools have enrollment info on the school web site.

:grouphug:

Edited by Tammyla

Why wouldn't they take a student mid-year? It's no different than moving to a school district.

I'm worried that they won't take him because it is highschool. I don't have any 'credits' to send with him.

He is working through Algebra, but because we changed curriculums in November he has not got very far.

I don't have any grades to send with him because it has been all I can do just to pull together some work and get through it.

If I was going to put my younger kids in school I'd not worry..but because this is highschool I do. Especially since it is midyear.

My friend moved to the Houston area in January 08. Her daughter was 16. She had homeschooled the first 2 years of high school and was in public school in another state for fall semester that year. The school didn't accept her credits. She was classified as a freshman. However, for them, it worked out well because they have a pilot program in their district to allow kids to go self-paced. The program allows a student to graduate in 2-4 years depending on the student. They still go to school each day (with a NICE laptop the school provides), but they can accelerate. Her bday is in August so she just went from one of the youngest kids in class to one of the oldest and will graduate a year later than planned but when many kids her age do anyway.

Another friend put her dd in school (also in Tx) this year as a 10th grader. She is classified as a 9th grader. She takes "night school" to make up the difference in credits.

BTW, my littlest brother went to an accelerated program in HISD (he had gone to the School of Performing Arts and when he had to leave there due to academic performance, he gave up completely. He failed the next year. The following year, he did the accelerated program and actually graduated a semester ahead of when he would have).

It is VERY likely, your ds could start school this term, but he may need to make up some credits in the summer or through night school. They may be able to offer him an alternative diploma program or if they have a program for acceleration also. I'd contact the school and find out what they can offer.

Edited by 2J5M9K

They don't have a choice. They have to take him. What grade they place him in is a different matter, but I wouldn't worry too much. I highly doubt they'd send a 16 yr. old back to middle school! They wouldn't want the potential discipline problems, I think. He'll probably be just fine placing into 9th.

The only problem with entering in the middle of the year is placement in honors classes, which is sometimes not allowed after the beginning of the year. Since that's not a concern for you, I think you're in the clear.

Let us know when your surgery is. :grouphug:

I'd make an appointment to go in and talk to a counselor - and bring either the texts he has been using or a list, with the contents page zeroxed, so you can show what he has been doing. Do not assume the school folks will have heard of or be familiar with the content of what you have been using at home. You want to put him where he will be successful in his work, based on what he has done, never mind the grade level. He may have to do a placement test for math or English - again, the goal is to find the best fit.

If the school places my current homeschooler in 7th grade next year (she IS going back) she will turn 16 the spring of her Freshman year. We are doing 7th grade stuff at home now (I took her out of 5th grade mid-year and put her straight into 6th grade stuff for the rest of the year) but I will let the local middle school test her this spring to see if she is indeed ready for 8th grade work next year (minor LD issues)..in which case she will turn 15 in 9th grade.

Her older siblings are fall b'days, and a year older than most of the class. Even so - they have told me of older kids in their classes - it really doesn't matter all that much.

Edited by JFSinIL

yes, the school HAS to take him. However, they can place him in the classes that they believe he will best fit in , but he will be put in 9th just maybe in pre-algebra not algebra1. Also, they may put him in general or cp classes for english, history, etc. The high schools in our area have tutoring programs after school and they may want him to attend some of these to make up for anything they feel that he would have missed from not being in their school for the fall semester. Or they may give him a placement test and feel that he will probably do just fine without tutoring, especially if he goes into general classes instead of college prep or honors.

Do you have semestered schools in your area? I mean, a school where you do four courses a semesterand then a new four courses the next semester. This way, you could start him off fresh in four courses and then do some summer school to catch up.

Maybe this is called block scheduling in the US...not sure. I'm not a big proponent of block scheduling, but it might make sense for your son, for this year at least.

Do you have semestered schools in your area? I mean, a school where you do four courses a semesterand then a new four courses the next semester. This way, you could start him off fresh in four courses and then do some summer school to catch up.

Maybe this is called block scheduling in the US...not sure.

There are various kinds of block scheduling. I do agree that if the school set it up like this, it would be a good situation for the OP's son :)

It is up to the individual district.

They 'have' to take him but he would most likely be placed in a 'special ed' or remedial type of program for some classes--such as Algebra and then will have to take summer school to catch up. He could also play 'catch up' by taking or testing out of classes using Texas Tech's distance highschool program--it is accredited by the same organization that the Public Schools are so they MUST award credit (sometimes it is only Pass or Fail--but it is still credit). Many of the Texas Tech classes can be started at any time--but they take discipline....so not sure if they would help right now.

Most districts would place him in the 9th grade.

Unless you have good documentation of 'credits' earned--and he can test out of material then it does not look good.

He would be able to take some 'one-semester' courses--but he would be LOST in Math and other year-long courses (like Science)--in some cases he would have to take the first semester courses NEXT YEAR to complete his credits--making him still further behind!

In your situation he needs to start taking some responsiblity for HIMSELF. He needs to decide if he wants a highschool education or a GED. He does not have other options at this point--he needs to choose 1. After that goal is met he needs to either be able to find employment (training) that will allow him to be an independent adult, go to a tech or community college to get certification or go to a 4-year college to get a degree.

I'd also look into getting him some personal counseling--he has a lot of 'weight' on his shoulders (put on mostly by himself). I've worked with many students in similar situations--this is already a tough age without having to deal with the other stresses.

:grouphug:

Jann