Menu

My son needs names of well-known unlikely heroes...

ThelmaLou

for a paper he's writing about The Hobbit/Bilbo Baggins. I suggested he start his intro. by listing other unlikely heroes, and end with the most unlikely (baby born in a manger...Jesus) just before introducing Bilbo Baggins. But I'm brain-dead this a.m. and need a jump-start. I guess they could be historical or fictional, but prefer that they be well-known. Any ideas would be welcome!

Just throwing this one out there, but what about Audie Murphy? He was poor, uneducated because he had to drop out of school around the age of 12 to support his family after his father abandoned them, supported his siblings after his mother died, managed to join Army (after being rejected by every other branch of the military) and became the most decorated soldier of WWII (that might not be specifically right but I think it is) and did it all before he was 19 or 20 years old. He went on to become an actor.

One of our favorite movies is To Hell and Back, which is based on his autobiography.

Just thought I'd toss that one out for you. Should appeal to a boy anyway.

Jeannie

...as seen in "Little Engines CAN Do Big Things".

Have you read Harry Potter? For me, one of the most heroic scenes in the whole book is when Neville comes out to fight the Dark Lord, even though he has so little magical talent that he is practically a squibb. That is one of the most gallant things I have ever seen in a book.

IRL, the young man who blocked the tanks on world wide television in Tiananmen Square is a good example of an unlikely hero.

Another is the boy in Holland who stopped the dike with his finger all night, of course. (May be a legend--I've never been quite clear on that point.)

...as seen in "Little Engines CAN Do Big Things".

Have you read Harry Potter? For me, one of the most heroic scenes in the whole book is when Neville comes out to fight the Dark Lord, even though he has so little magical talent that he is practically a squibb. That is one of the most gallant things I have ever seen in a book.

IRL, the young man who blocked the tanks on world wide television in Tiananmen Square is a good example of an unlikely hero.

Another is the boy in Holland who stopped the dike with his finger all night, of course. (May be a legend--I've never been quite clear on that point.)

I love that part! I was so PROUD of Neville right then that I could have cried! After seven books, some of these characters are like friends.

Jeannie

I love that part! I was so PROUD of Neville right then that I could have cried! After seven books, some of these characters are like friends.

Jeannie

Actually, I did cry. And I NEVER cry over books. I didn't cry when Dumbledore was killed.

I also cried when the Hogwarts castle was half torn down, and one of the Slytherins suggested just giving Harry up, and the entire rest of school immediately jumped up and aimed their wands.

What is it about gallantry.

Must be my Lutheran background. Too many viewings of "Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise. God help me. Amen" when I was a kid, perhaps.

- Rosa Parks? (ordinary, middle-aged woman who's quiet passive resistance sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott which helped lead to integration)

- Annie Sullivan? (Helen Keller's teacher -- nearly blind herself, she taught Helen to think, speak, read and write)

- Gandhi? (taught passive resistance which led to India's freedom)

- Mother Teresa? (nun who brought help to the poor, sick and dying in Calcutta)

- Betsy and Corrie TenBoom? (ordinary middle aged sisters who shared God's love even in Nazi prison camp)

Not every hero get a happy ending. But I think most heroes are unlikely: men and women who are thrust into desperate circumstances.

What about the men and women on United 93?

Or the firemen and policemen who rushed into the World Trade Center on Sept. 11?

Or the men and women who serve in our military?

One of my favorite unlikely heros is Louis Braille. Blinded while playing in his father's workshop as a child, his father taught him to read by making manipulatives-steel letters. Then when he went to work for a blind school as an adult, the rich, sighted, administrators told him that blind people could read better with raised outlines of letters than his patterns of dots!

Susan

ds(7)

Edmund and Lucy in the Chronicles of Narnia, Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Reepacheep; Telemachus in the Odyssey; Desperaux the gallant mouse.

Not so well known but certainly unlikely: Bill the Galactic Hero in the series by Harry Harrison; various characters in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.