Menu

What Do You Do With Your PM Box?

My Private Message Box is always 96% full (or more).

I hate deleting PMs but I feel forced to in order to be "active".

Does anyone download them to a folder? Are there any neat tricks for keeping them in a fashion you could review them as handily as in the in and out boxes?

I need a bigger box!!!

Bill

Bill

That's cuz you're so popular. Very few of us have this problem, bub. Are you saving your sent messages? I don't see much reason to save those, myself, and if I delete them, I have enough room left to save the received messages that I want.

[ETA: I just realized that all families might not use the term "bub" the way we do. Here in the M household, it is, in fact, a term of endearment, which is how I meant it. Just so we're clear. :D]

Edited by Nicole M

My strategy is to save the last one where the "quoting" has preserved the whole exchanges if its been a multi-part discourse. Sometime that's Sent PMs and other times it's Incoming PMs.

But the whole thing is making me nuts :D

I want a bigger box. There I said it :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I'm completely insane--I save everything. So once mine was full, I'd sweat bullets trying to decide which wonderful mssg to delete.

Until I figured out the download function. You can make a folder on your pc & download everything from your pm box there, delete all, & start over. Yippeeeeee!!! :lol:

I hate deleting PMs but I feel forced to in order to be "active".

Does anyone download them to a folder? Are there any neat tricks for keeping them in a fashion you could review them as handily as in the in and out boxes?

I need a bigger box!!!

Bill

In the not-so-famous words of my husband, "We've all got our burdens to bear."

;)

Seriously, though, I don't have that problem since I'm not as interactive as you are!

Chelle

Edited by Chelle in MO
Sent too soon!

I'm completely insane--I save everything. So once mine was full, I'd sweat bullets trying to decide which wonderful mssg to delete.

Until I figured out the download function. You can make a folder on your pc & download everything from your pm box there, delete all, & start over. Yippeeeeee!!! :lol:

Help me figure out the download! I have some great advice in my in box, I don't want to delete. Okay, now I'll go play around with it myself.

I save mine as text files.

From your PM inbox, scroll to the bottom of the screen. There is the option to

Download all Private Messages as:

XML | CVS | Text

I just click the Text link and save a file in My Documents.

OK I used one of these options once (I forget which...but I'd guess "text") and it did save the files in a big unsearchable and mostly un-helpful archive that I'll never look at again.

Me, I just love looking at all the nice notes people have sent my way (and even a few of the...uh, opportunities people have taken to "dialogue" when they've had differences whith things I've posted) so I like having the PMs at hand. Not deleting them. Not downloading them to some mass text file archive (tomb).

Is XML any cooler?

SpyFlyBoxed.gif

Bill (who's now 100% filled)

I need a bigger box!!!

I think your box is plenty big. ;)

Here, I have a free coupon to a seminar on compulsive hoarding. Go on. You can have it. I'm all done with it. :lol:

p.s. I save mine as text files, too. Sorry, since I already know that option really doesn't work for you I was trying a different tack.

*Deep Breath*

I just deleted 20 or so of the older pm's.

I feel so liberated! :lol:

Sprouts went to that seminar with me.

Notice, Bill, that I said it was a free coupon...not a free seminar. But, I know you want it. Just to add to your collection. I'll PM ya'!

• 3 months later...
Hey...what do you think I'm doing? :tongue_smilie:

What do we want? Bigger boxes!

When do we want 'em? Now!

Bill (Berkeley Grad :D)

Size Matters.

I download all of them as text files. I even saved all the cool [and not so cool] comments from my rep way back when.

I just use the "search all files" feature if i'm trying to ind something specific.