Menu

Changes to our homeschool--becoming "sweeter"

Bear with me as I follow this thought.

I have been on these boards off and on all day. All day. I just gave myself permission to "be" today, and it has been so nice.

So I'm thinking of homeschooling dd again next year (she's in PS right now so I can pay off some debt and help with family finances), per her request and my heart--we really miss homeschooling. As we look back with some nostalgia, I find myself looking ahead with some desire to change things. I want to stay with the Classical (or neo-classical) way of the WTM, using Saxon math, SOTW, a little CM nature study (field-based stuff, mostly)...but I want...

I want...hmmm. I want our school to be sweeter.

I want to be a little more...fun? Kind? Exploratory? I just can't think of the right word. Not "fun" as in entertaining. Not just child-led.

I remember at the "beginning," reading Pocket Full of Pinecones, and learning a bit about homeschooling that way, and I felt my heart fill and leap and I knew I wanted to homeschool, because I wanted my daughter to keep her sense of wonder, her innocent enthusiasm, her sweetness. There's that word again!

What is it I want? Can you help me describe it? Do you have it? How do you...do it?

I've thought for a while now that if I had a younger child I would do what you are describing. Maybe more of the creative things we never seemed to finish or get to or a unit study that pertained to a child's interest. I always wished we'd kept up with scrapbook, journal books of our travels and field trips. Whatever you come up with, enjoy!

Guest janainaz

It's not all about "education". It's about being together and learning together and not taking it all too seriously. Don't get me wrong, we all know education is very important and all the reasons why, but you are looking to savor the "sweetness" of life itself. We are made to do more than fill our brains - it's the connection with your kids and knowing that every day you let go a little more as they discover themselves and where they fit. It's a journey together.

It seems that schools teach knowledge - information. But, a mother being wtih her kids all day has a better balance - knowledge and wisdom. I can't put it into words, but there are some very deep truths about life that our kids need in order to use the knowlege in the right way and to truly benefit.

Not every single day holds the "sweetness" - some days are just getting it done due to life being life. But, I think that the more you let go of agenda's and structure, need to control - those moments will come. I'm still trying to figure that out as well.

I'll be watching this thread to see the words of wisdom the hive will surely provide.....

With my first dd, it seems that the "sweetness" was there. Cuddling on the couch. Reading, reading, and reading some more. Taking time to take nature walks and gather "things" for science. It was truly wonderful. Her excitement and wonder were contagious.

But it's not the same anymore. My next 3 dc are not quite the students that 1st dd is. And they are very close in age, which has been difficult. And so I wrestle more with the feelings of pushing to get things done, and drilling, and correcting. Is it just me, I wonder? Have I just lost my enthusiasm?

All of that to say, I think I know how you feel. I wish I had some words of wisdom. My only idea for next semester is to schedule some fun in. No matter what, do something once each week that makes it fun to learn.

Like I said, I'll be watching for some wisdom. :bigear:

Thanks for posting...

I think as the kids get older, it is not the same as when they are little and so eager. But, what I think you are trying to capture with words is the joy of learning things together. This is one of my greatest pleasures in homeschooling. This is the reason that I have not turned the science and history books over to my kids to do on their own, even though they are old enough to read them on their own. I love reading their history out loud together, talking about what we learn, doing projects related to history or experiments related to science. It is in those moments that I find joy. It is in the moments where I am asking "did you get your grammar done, you need to do those corrections on your math, etc...." that are necessary, but not nearly as "sweet."

I think the CM approach sort of lends itself to this. Or I think of this when people talk about doing Sonlight and just reading and reading aloud.

For my boys, I think that doing lots and lots of field trips pertaining to things we're studying and taking great vacations, day trips, etc. has been a great way to sort of live educationally, rather than "school" being just a thing we do at a table for certain hours M-F.

I think trying to incorporate moral training through reading of great literature and using living books for studying lit, history, science, etc. makes education more exciting and personal. I think dining at ethnic restaurants, especially when studying those cultures, attending community arts events, etc. all makes education part of life rather than the sort of mundane thing I think of in regard to public school....

So, I've been thinking about this off and on since you posted it. I think I have an answer, and I think I'll implement this myself as well.

Why not have a class dedicated to fancy?

A class that covers unicorns, fairies, dryads, gnomes and dwarves? My husband is Scottish and his family has so many stories of the way things 'were' in Scotland. My grandmother is half Dutch and she has wonderful stories her dad used to tell her. The more I think about it, the more I see the possible applications of such a class. Reading, writing, drawing, story telling and plenty more, I'm sure.

It would bring the wonder back into it all. It could lead to classes on the crystal skulls, pirates and mermaids, and it would actually be able to fit in with TSOTW.

Anyway, so there's my two cents. I think they're worth more than two cents, but hey inflation/recession/whatever ;)

Fourth grade is still very young - really! I applaud your desire here! My daughters are grown now, but if I had it to do over again, I'd spend more time in the elementary school years on art (both doing and appreciating), music, reading together, crafts, etc. More time for walks and nature study. More time tying the heartstrings that will help see us through adolescence.

Because I'm an organized, gotta-have-a-plan kinda gal, I would schedule these things into my school day - otherwise they wouldn't happen.

Blessings to you as you contemplate next year.

Anne

So you have to take everything I say with the understanding that I have my rose-colored lenses firmly in place.

I think it is possible to keep the "sweetness" of homeschooling until graduation. It isn't every minute of everyday. You don't get it by throwing out the books and hard work. I think you get it by being prepared. The best classes I had with my ds were the ones in which we had vigorous discussions. We shared ideas. I had read the material. I knew what I was talking about. I was prepared and wasn't just going through the motions or throwing material over the wall at him. I was there and ready to help bring him into the conversation.

Often it was literature. We would buddy read the harder works but I had already read them and prepared discussion questions and background information. For any of the subjects for classes that I remember as "sweet", it was always classes that I was ready for and did just hand him books and check assignments that I hadn't read. It was the interaction and discussion that we both enjoyed.

Even now, my ds enjoys sharing books with me. When he reads something he enjoys, he likes for me to read it too. Through the difficult teen years, when we had a hard time communicating, we could always talk about books, history, politics, math, science, poetry, school.

It doesn't mean that there weren't days when it was hard and when I could get him to finish an assignment or I couldn't find a way to explain a math problem to him. The sweetness for us had nothing to do with the curricula or methods we used, it had everything to do with how prepared and engaged I was.

There were days when it was really hard, but in the end it was really good and really sweet.

My rose-colored glasses are nice aren't they? :D

and the sweetness is not constant.

But when we have it, we have it around discussions.

When we are BOTH sharing our opinions about something.

I'm not just teaching, although I am teaching. I'm sharing something I have learned myself, and asking what she has learned. I'm sharing an impression from a book and she is doing it back, or discussing my impression. I'm using some of the literary terms that she has studied, but respecting her in my discussion, not just teaching her, being with her, not as a peer exactly, but as someone who is more than a student.

Because after all, she IS more than a student. She is my daughter, my lovely daughter, whose opinions and thoughts I crave and treasure. She is my responsibility from God. She is one who I will always love.

It is when I share myself as well as teach, or when I teach by doing that, that she feels that sweetness. So I need to do more of that.