Menu

Teaching Company lectures: How are you buying these? Netflix?

camibami

I love so many, but they are way, way too pricey.

Are you finding them on Netflix? How? I have looked a bit and can't find any TC on there. Also we are leaving the country soon, so getting a Netflix subscription probably won't work. Libraries? Used? They seem so, so expensive! I would love for them to be supplements/interesting car listening/etc at this point, but at those prices, I don't see us using them until absolutely necessary for high school.

I am buying them. My dc are older (7th & 9th) so I am purchasing ones that go along with our studies.

Honestly, I don't think young students (under high school) will get much out of them (with the exception of some of the high school level courses). Some of the lectures can be a stretch even for high school. The high school level ones are good and my dc are enjoying the high school level world history. They would be great for you to watch/listen to if that is what you are looking for, but if you have younger kids I wouldn't worry about using them now.

I decided to buy them because my local library only has a couple and they are ones that we have no interest in. We can get a few more through ILL (though not many), but you only get to keep them for 1 week. You can't watch one of these series in that amount of time and in our library system we can't renew, but would have to send it back and re-request it.

So, I am trying to be careful and a bit picky about which ones we buy because they are expensive. I try to incorporate them into our studies where it is possible so I can budget it into our homeschool expenses.

Our library has a few. We are also investing in courses as Christmas/birthday presents for me. My kids are too young for them now, but I benefit greatly and can teach a subject better after watching some of the courses. I watched the library's copy of The Vikings before teaching Vikings in year 2. We bought The History of the United States before I started teaching year 3 history this year. This year's Christmas/birthday gift was The Foundations of Western Civilization parts 1 and 2 (special price as a set, free shipping, and $25 off coupon). These are great gifts for me--I really enjoy watching them and learn a lot. They are expensive and it may not always be possible for us to buy a course. It certainly wouldn't be possible to buy several courses at once when my dc are finally old enough to watch them, so we're investing in them over time. So far I am thrilled with the selections we have been able to purchase--I'm glad I own these sets. There are some we have borrowed from the library that I'm glad I didn't invest in (like the ones geared toward high schoolers).

You might check e-bay for used courses.

These are the only ones I was able to find at Netflix:

High school level Basic Math - 30 lessons, 30 minutes each (Murray Siegel) 1998

High school level Algebra 1 - 30 lessons, 30 minutes each (Monica Neagoy) 2000

High school level Geometry - James Noggle 2000

High school level Chemistry - 2000

Unfortunately, each lesson is on a single DVD so in order to view the whole course you have to check out all 30 DVD's.

I searched these titles based on the reviews from this site. The authors of these reviews list the recommended ages as 15-18.

Other than finding them second hand...

Teaching Company puts every series on sale at some point during the year. You just need to visit their website and check the sales. Now--they still aren't cheap. Lectures are frequently $100 or more but not the listed $300+

For example a set I am currently looking at is apx. $100 rather than the normal price of $450+ I have purchased some for as little as $20 or $30. Also it depends on the format (CD, DVD, Tape or Download).

You can also get them through interlibrary loan sometimes.

I see them as resources we will use multiple times-the parents enjoy the lectures, the upper elem. kids enjoy them at one level (the prefer DVD for most) and as they get older I think that they will understand and learn even more when they listen again.

(As an aside-the only lectures we've purchased but had to not use with the kids were Greek Mythology, they got a bit graphic.)

I love so many, but they are way, way too pricey.

Are you finding them on Netflix? How? I have looked a bit and can't find any TC on there. Also we are leaving the country soon, so getting a Netflix subscription probably won't work. Libraries? Used? They seem so, so expensive! I would love for them to be supplements/interesting car listening/etc at this point, but at those prices, I don't see us using them until absolutely necessary for high school.

We own because I'd rather have them all in my hot little hands. I bought all on sale from TTC or used from the fine folks here:

World History w/ Lindwood Thompson -- new DVD $79

US History w/ Linwood Thompson -- used VHS $30

Chemistry w/ Frank Cardulla -- used VHS $30

The History Of The English Language -- used VHS $30

The Iliad w/ Dr. V -- used VHS $30

The Odyssey w/Dr. V -- used VHS $30

St. Augie -- used cd's $30

How To Be A Superstar Student -- new dvds from Ebay $30

• 5 months later...
Guest Joyce

I have the following Teaching Company Courses on Videotape. I would love for someone to be able to use them. They are awesome! I will sell them to anyone for the cost of shipping plus $25 for each course. I bought them for much more than that!

Joyce

They are all high school level courses on VHS. Highly recommended!

Chemistry

Basic Math

World History: The Fertile Crescent to the American Revolution

Early American History

Contact me for more information

Our teeny library has about 20 of the titles on cd's. The bigger library has 3 or 4 on DVD including How to Be a Superstar Student. I loved that one. And then I was going to just use Netflix for the Chemistry one, but then the VHS tapes were on sale for 10 bucks at our group's used book sale, so I bought it!! (I also found a complete DVD Chalkdust prealgebra program for 75... I did well that day.)

Christine

I buy them, but only at the "sale price" (I think that is there real price and the rest is a pitch...). I *can* afford them, and I really, really want to encourage them to do more. It is a business I want to support. The really amazing ones, like Vandiver and Harl's lectures, I keep. The ones I didn't feel really attached to, I pass on to friends and family members. Who knows, I might get them hooked as well!

They would be great for you to watch/listen to if that is what you are looking for, but if you have younger kids I wouldn't worry about using them now.

Two thoughts on the utility of these with younger kids:

1) kiddo sees ME doing my school, my lifelong learning ("as the twig is bent, so grows the tree") and overheads good, standard English and vocabulary most families don't use in everyday conversation.

2) it helps me be facile with the vocabulary of a topic, so I can be a "natural" teacher of the subject. E.g. one of the intros to geology. I just don't have time to read everything I want to, and I listen to 2 half hour lectures on history on work days (commute) and I put on the DVD ones (like Art Across the Ages) when I am cleaning the kitchen or folding laundry. This *really* makes housework less of a drudge!

I've bought close to 40 Teaching Company courses and I've never paid full price. I always get them on sale (often with a free shipping code) or I buy them used on ebay or the sale forum here. If you sign up on the website, click My Account, then Sale Notifier, and add the courses you want, they'll notify you when your choices are on sale, and you also get notices for special 1- and 2-day sales. They recently had a special 2-day sale where ALL the audio downloads were on sale for $30-35 each. And you can resell everything but the downloads, if you need to recoup some of your costs.

If you calculate the "per view" cost, it's actually a bargain. E.g. if I buy a 36-lecture course for $100 on sale, four family members each watch it twice, then I resell the DVDs for $50, that works out to about 17 cents per lecture viewing. Even if I never resell them, it's still only 35 cents per viewing. If you buy the DVDs used and resell them when you're done, it can be practically free -- assuming you can bear to part with them!

I will probably pass along the HS level courses once my youngest has used them, but I expect to hang on to the rest of the courses, to watch over and over.

Jackie