Menu

Home-schooling with an external (paid) course

Hello everyone! As this is basically my first post, I don't want to step on anyone's toes or break any rules here, as I find this to be a very welcoming community.

Anyways, I'm a mom of 2 boys: a 13 and a 15 year old. Both are really boys - boys. Interested in fast cars, building things, sports and whatnot.

I've been homeschooling them for basically their entire lives, but at one point I kind of got mentally exhausted, as I was out of ideas what to teach. And then my youngest one asked me to teach him about electricity.

Needless to say, I was completely ashamed to say that I knew nothing about it, so I turned to Google. I found an amazing course (which I would recommend to anyone, but I won't name it, unless it's explicitly allowed by the moderators here).

Anyways, this course has video materials (obviously), but it also comes with this small box that has some electronics stuff in it. And the child can build what they see in the videos using those electronics thingies. I never knew a hands-on / online courses existed, so I was impressed.

My youngest one got completely obsessed and now he says he will be an electrical engineer when he grows up, haha.

Do you guys also use courses like that to stimulate ideas in your children?

Edited by quirkyOne

Welcome. I see by your post count that you are new.

Yes, homeschoolers use many kinds of resources for learning, including: textbooks; "living books;" field trips; kits; outside-the-home activities, lessons, teachers; apprenticeships; outsourced classes from local schools or online providers; podcasts; video instruction; demonstrations; etc. etc.

So, a course that has video materials and some electronics stuff in it could certainly be one of a number of resources you use to encourage your sons in their interest to learn about electricity and electronics. (No, we don't need to know the name of it. 😉 Thanks for abiding by Board rules. 😄 )

The bigger concern I have from your post is that it is not clear to me that your teens are completing the set of high school courses to be "college prep" -- especially since one of them has expressed interest in possibly becoming an electrical engineer (a career that will require a college degree). ETA -- I see that one is 13yo, so probably not in high school yet -- but you definitely want to be already thinking, researching, and planning ahead for high school so you've "got his back" and he will be prepared for college to be able to pursue his interest.

Here is the set of credits required by most colleges for eligibility for admission:

4 credits = English (usually 1/2 Literature + 1/2 Writing)
4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, Pre-Calculus)
3-4 credits = Science, with labs (some colleges want Biology & Chemistry)
3-4 credits = Social Studies (most colleges want 1 credit Amer. Hist. & 1 credit World Hist./Geog.; a few want 0.5 credit each Gov't & Econ)
2-4 credits = Foreign Language, same language (in addition to any of the modern languages, all colleges accept Latin; most accept ASL)
1 credit = Fine Arts
4-8+ credits = Electives
24-28+ credits = total

Since your son has expressed interest in Electrical Engineering:

1. Math = complete Math all the way through Pre-Calculus, and also through Calculus if possible
2. Science = do a regular Physics course (which covers Electricity), possibly followed by an Advanced Physics course
3. Electives = include coursework in support of Electrical Engineering, such as: Coding, CAD, and Electronics
4. extracurriculars = get involved in clubs that use these interests -- robotics, rocketry, electronics, etc.

BEST of luck as you homeschool the high school years.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Just adding -- you might post on the High School Board and ask for ideas and resources to help support your sons' interests, and for how to complete credits, especially if your family is more unschooling or non-traditional in your educational approach.

Lots of smart BTDT moms over on that Board to help with suggestions and advice! 😄 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

Do you guys also use courses like that to stimulate ideas in your children?

We didn't use online courses like the one you described, but we did use hands on kits to explore different fields and ideas. Hands-on options are a great way to stimulate interest. I think Lori's point is that those types of courses or explorations probably aren't sufficient once a student enters high school. They might still be great as an elective, though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Welcome. I see by your post count that you are new.

Homeschoolers use many kinds of resources for learning, including: textbooks; "living books;" field trips; kits; outside-the-home activities, lessons, teachers; apprenticeships; outsourced classes from local schools or online providers; podcasts; video instruction; demonstrations; etc. etc.

So, a course that has video materials and some electronics stuff in it could certainly be one of a number of resources you use to encourage your sons in their interest to learn about electricity and electronics. (No, we don't need to know the name of it. 😉 Thanks for abiding by Board rules. 😄 )

The bigger concern I have from your post is that it is not clear to me that your teens are completing the set of high school courses to be "college prep" -- especially since one of them has expressed interest in possibly becoming an electrical engineer (a career that will require a college degree). ETA -- I see that one is 13yo, so probably not in high school yet -- but you definitely want to be already thinking, researching, and planning ahead for high school so you've "got his back" and he will be prepared for college to be able to pursue his interest.

Here is the set of credits required by most colleges for eligibility for admission:

4 credits = English (usually 1/2 Literature + 1/2 Writing)
4 credits = Math (Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, Pre-Calculus)
3-4 credits = Science, with labs (some colleges want Biology & Chemistry)
3-4 credits = Social Studies (most colleges want 1 credit Amer. Hist. & 1 credit World Hist./Geog.; a few want 0.5 credit each Gov't & Econ)
2-4 credits = Foreign Language, same language (in addition to any of the modern languages, all colleges accept Latin; most accept ASL)
1 credit = Fine Arts
4-8+ credits = Electives
24-28+ credits = total

Since your son has expressed interest in Electrical Engineering:

1. Math = complete Math all the way through Pre-Calculus, and also through Calculus if possible
2. Science = do a regular Physics course (which covers Electricity), possibly followed by an Advanced Physics course
3. Electives = include coursework in support of Electrical Engineering, such as: Coding, CAD, and Electronics
4. extracurriculars = get involved in clubs that use these interests -- robotics, rocketry, electronics, etc.

BEST of luck as you homeschool the high school years.

Thank you for all this information. Well, my brother is an engineer - not an electrical one, though, and he's prepared to help.

I will look into the required credits, though. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Malam said:

I'm pretty sure naming them is allowed - discussing curriculum/courses is what half the posts here are about.

I don't know what to think now, because Lori said: "we don't need to know the name of it".

Well, please, don't ban me or whatever for this. I just want to give the course a shoutout, because it really has sparked a great interest in one of my kids. A week ago, he even built a little flashlight by himself, instead of playing some video games.

So, it has really become a fun activity for him and, who knows, perhaps even a career path.

The name of the course is "Electronics Engineering Basics" by Belinskis Engineering.

7 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

Thank you for all this information. Well, my brother is an engineer - not an electrical one, though, and he's prepared to help.

I will look into the required credits, though. Thanks!

What math has your ds been doing? Math is going to be driving factor behind the success of any engineering major. For electrical engineering, physics is going to be 2nd. 

FWIW, yes, I provide my kids a wide range experiences hoping to spark curiosity and interest. One of my dd's loved foreign languages. She went to camps. Studied literature and history in a foreign language. She ended up majoring in them in college.

IOW, interest leads to appropriate academic input/output.

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Malam said:

I'm pretty sure naming them is allowed - discussing curriculum/courses is what half the posts here are about.

8 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

I don't know what to think now, because Lori said: "we don't need to know the name of it".

Since you are new, you will be unaware that multiple new posters come on these boards solely to advertise a product. Often, their posts contain wording similar to that in your post: " I found an amazing course (which I would recommend to anyone)."

Most first posts from new-to-these boards homeschoolers who are not advertisers tend to be looking for encouragement, community, ideas, or advice--rather than sharing about a product. You can see how that would raise a potential red flag. 😉 

Again, welcome to the WTM boards, and to homeschooling the teen years.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

What math has your ds been doing? Math is going to be driving factor behind the success of any engineering major. For electrical engineering, physics is going to be 2nd. 

FWIW, yes, I provide my kids a wide range experiences hoping to spark curiosity and interest. One of my dd's loved foreign languages. She went to camps. Studied literature and history in a foreign language. She ended up majoring in them in college.

IOW, interest leads to appropriate academic input/output.

One is starting algebra, and the older one is about to begin with calculus. Luckily for me I am quite well versed in Math and Physics - especially on the high school level, but when it comes to engineering, that's where my brother will need to help. 

Do you find it difficult to create a structured curriculum for them? Or do you kind of do it on the fly?

9 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Since you are new, you will be unaware that multiple new posters come on these boards solely to advertise a product. Often, their posts contain wording similar to that in your post: " I found an amazing course (which I would recommend to anyone)."

Most first posts from new-to-these boards homeschoolers who are not advertisers tend to be looking for encouragement, community, ideas, or advice--rather than sharing about a product. You can see how that would raise a potential red flag. 😉 

Again, welcome to the WTM boards, and to homeschooling the teen years.

Doing the teen years is quite the challenge, especially if one is now VEEERY interested in girls, which take up a lot of the focus.
And I can't blame them. But we're managing.

Yes, I totally understand how this could raise some red flags, but I am not in any way associated with Belinskis Engineering, I am just a fan of their product.

Similarly to how I would recommend everyone reading "Freakonomics" if they want to learn about economics, or take the MasterClass by Garry Kasparov, if they want to learn how to play chess (I've done both myself, haha).

1 hour ago, quirkyOne said:

One is starting algebra, and the older one is about to begin with calculus. Luckily for me I am quite well versed in Math and Physics - especially on the high school level, but when it comes to engineering, that's where my brother will need to help. 

Do you find it difficult to create a structured curriculum for them? Or do you kind of do it on the fly?

I spend my summers building courses for my kids.  Fwiw, you really don't need an engineering course per se in high school. Solid background in science and math is the only real prerequisite.  If they want to get involved in something like First Robotics, that might be a lot of fun and broad exposure.  

FIRST Robotics Competition | FIRST (firstinspires.org)

FIRST LEGO League | FIRST (firstinspires.org)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 5:29 PM, ScoutTN said:

@quirkyOne  Have you read the High School board here? Lots of helpful info. 

Yes, I've been doing this for a few days now, haha.

On 7/25/2024 at 5:25 PM, 8filltheheart said:

I spend my summers building courses for my kids.  Fwiw, you really don't need an engineering course per se in high school. Solid background in science and math is the only real prerequisite.  If they want to get involved in something like First Robotics, that might be a lot of fun and broad exposure.  

FIRST Robotics Competition | FIRST (firstinspires.org)

FIRST LEGO League | FIRST (firstinspires.org)

Hearing from what my brother says, you don't need that much Maths and Physics. You only need to understand the basics - the rest is all into practice. That is why that course is so valuable - it is hands-on.

I will definitely look into FIRST Robotics! Thank you!

4 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

Yes, I've been doing this for a few days now, haha.

Hearing from what my brother says, you don't need that much Maths and Physics. You only need to understand the basics - the rest is all into practice. That is why that course is so valuable - it is hands-on.

I will definitely look into FIRST Robotics! Thank you!

What type of engineer is your brother?  Math through diffEQ,,  3 semesters of physics plus EE specific physics like electromagnetic wave theory. I'd quantify that as more than the basics. 

You might want to peruse a few 4 yr plans at different colleges:

https://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/electrical-computer/electrical-bs/#programrequirementstext

https://catalog.ufl.edu/UGRD/colleges-schools/UGENG/ELE_BSEE/#modelsemesterplantext

If you look at flow (football) charts,, follow the arrows. Courses dont have to be in the physics dept to be physics. Every arrow that comes after it as a prerequisite will be physics related. (One of my sons was a physics major. He took his electromagnetic wave theory class in the EE dept bc he wanted to study under that professor.)

https://ece.mst.edu/resources/degree-flowcharts/

https://eng.ua.edu/majors/electrical-engineering-bs/

• Like 2

According to my brother, and I quote:

"Differential equations are solved by computers, not humans - so they are basically irrelevant. The most math-heavy things are all software-related, where people use existing tools to help them do the grunt work. Also, AI is at a level, where you can just write down an equation on Wolframalpha, and it will spit out a complete solution with worked-out steps on how its done. And the employers know all of this too, and they leverage it. Engineering now is much more about how you can generate ideas that can lead to solutions, instead of implementing the mathematics behind it. As for EM Wave Theory, it is a theory that does not get applied, unless you actually want to go into EMI / EMC research. I'd say you need mostly practical understanding of electric circuits, what electricity is and how to select components. Then, depending on if you need it - you may want to be able to program microcontrollers or chips, and, most importantly now, you want to be able to fully leverage AI tools that exist."

Honestly, my brother has 2 degrees - in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. He is now a systems engineer (basically integrates the two professions together, as he puts it), and he says that universities are just as good as any well-structured course on YouTube. The degrees don't provide any value to anyone, because none of the interviewers have ever asked him (a) anything about school - even during his first job interview he got the job by talking about his hobby projects, or (b) to even show a diploma.

My brother is kind of my idol when it comes to jobs and stuff like that, so I am very much inclined to listen to him.

AI isnt going to be taking their exams. My kids weren't even allowed calculators in their cal and physics college classes. It may be what they do in their jobs (my dh and oldest ds are both chemEs and another ds has his master's in physics from Berkeley) but not as students. 

I'm not sure how your brother's argument functions in actually earning an ABET engineering degree. And....you can't get hired without providing your diploma.  An ABET degree is going to be an employment threshold for a lot of EE jobs. Unless Stanford type schools are the goal, (they are in a class by themselves), ABET certification would be a filter for our family. (My dh is currently a safety manager. No way anyone without an ABET diploma is hired.)

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

AI isnt going to be taking their exams. My kids weren't even allowed calculators in their cal and physics college classes. It may be what they do in their jobs (my dh and oldest ds are both chemEs and another ds has his master's in physics from Berkeley) but not as students. 

I'm not sure how your brother's argument functions in actually earning an ABET engineering degree. And....you can't get hired without providing your diploma.  An ABET degree is going to be an employment threshold. (My dh is currently a safety manager. No way anyone without an ABET diploma is hired.)

Yes, this. 

OP, it’s fine your brother has this opinion and may even be true. However, my ds is doing a mechanical engineering degree right now and is not able to even use a calculator. So, whether or not certain classes are actually useful, they need to be understood and passed. However, I would argue that that understanding and ability is extremely useful even if you do use calculators and AI later on. You need to know if the answers make sense and to understand how things work. 

I agree about FIRST robotics—it’s a wonderful program. CADD and programming were also useful to have done in high school. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

"Differential equations are solved by computers, not humans - so they are basically irrelevant. The most math-heavy things are all software-related, where people use existing tools to help them do the grunt work. Also, AI is at a level, where you can just write down an equation on Wolframalpha, and it will spit out a complete solution with worked-out steps on how its done. And the employers know all of this too, and they leverage it. Engineering now is much more about how you can generate ideas that can lead to solutions, instead of implementing the mathematics behind it. As for EM Wave Theory, it is a theory that does not get applied, unless you actually want to go into EMI / EMC research. I'd say you need mostly practical understanding of electric circuits, what electricity is and how to select components. Then, depending on if you need it - you may want to be able to program microcontrollers or chips, and, most importantly now, you want to be able to fully leverage AI tools that exist."

Honestly, my brother has 2 degrees - in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. He is now a systems engineer (basically integrates the two professions together, as he puts it), and he says that universities are just as good as any well-structured course on YouTube. The degrees don't provide any value to anyone, because none of the interviewers have ever asked him (a) anything about school - even during his first job interview he got the job by talking about his hobby projects, or (b) to even show a diploma.

My brother is kind of my idol when it comes to jobs and stuff like that, so I am very much inclined to listen to him.

The degree is very valuable in engineering. Not even a hint of an interview without one, regardless of what AI can or will do. 

• Like 3

Spouse has a PhD in computer engineering and is well known in his field.  As kid has taken some of the advanced math classes (kid did through calc 3 and took both physics with calc classes DE) spouse has talked with kid about how different parts of the math are used (and, to be fair, how parts of some classes are not used - computer guys don't do a lot with force, levers, etc).  I can tell which parts spouse uses because he can talk about them without having to pause or look something up.  He was just talking with kid about the classes that kid will be taking in the upcoming year and how different ones are used.  AI can certainly do some things.  But, spouse works in a cutting edge field and AI doesn't generate the ideas.  And, as many people have said, some of the college classes only allow a 4-function calculator or allow none at all.  I think that AI may change how things are done, but I also think that people who know how to do things will be the innovators because they'll have the knowledge to think new thoughts.  As it currently stands, credentials matter in engineering if person wants to work in academia, at the national labs, or at large companies.  They may matter less at start-ups or in other environments.  The deal with most engineers is that they take the advanced math and other courses but they aren't the point - they are just teaching them what they consider to be basic tools, similarly to how most of us view arithmetic as a tool that one masters so that one can use it whenever it is needed.  Sometimes one may use a calculator, but often it's just as fast or faster to do it in your head.  

• Like 4

Since your DS is really enjoying the hands-on aspect, you and DS might start doing a little career exploration. You might compare the job of Electrician, which tends to be much more hands-on "building" of the wiring and circuitry, vs. Electrical Engineer, which tends to be more about design, and testing of systems.

...my brother has 2 degrees - in Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. He is now a systems engineer (basically integrates the two professions together, as he puts it), and he says that universities are just as good as any well-structured course on YouTube. The degrees don't provide any value to anyone, because none of the interviewers have ever asked him (a) anything about school - even during his first job interview he got the job by talking about his hobby projects, or (b) to even show a diploma...

Degrees and college courses are most likely not going to be discussed in the interview because they are the baseline for even getting in the door for an interview, by showing that a person has the standard basic knowledge (and possibly required ABET certification) needed for the job.

Presumably, the degrees are listed on your brother's resume, so that is why interviewers focused on specific past jobs and experiences rather than his schooling. Conversely, if he did not have his degrees listed on the resume or list them on the job application, there would likely be questions about his schooling or how knowledge was obtained.

A note about ABET (which is gained through earning a degree at an ABET certified college): some companies do not require ABET certification; but many do. Most military and government engineering jobs want ABET. And a person needs ABET if planning to go for the PE (Professional Engineer) licensing.

So self-educating through videos may be very doable, but it may limit eligibility for potential future jobs.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

A note about ABET (which is gained through earning a degree at an ABET certified college): some companies do not require ABET certification; but many do. Most military and government engineering jobs want ABET. And a person needs ABET if planning to go for the PE (Professional Engineer) licensing.

So self-educating through videos may be very doable, but it may limit eligibility for potential future jobs.

I'd add major corporations to that list plus federal contractors who have contracts with NASA, military companies, etc.  Almost everyone we know is an engineer of some sort.  For a lot of those jobs you have to be able to pass security clearance in addition to providing your diploma.  😉  I can't imagine thinking I would work as an EE without a degree.  Technician?  Yes.  Electrician?  Yes.  But an EE? No.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

You need the college degree so in that respect no matter what you actually need for the job you need to jump through the hoops to get into college and get a Bachelors of Science degree. Sure after several years of experience no one asked me about my education; they just look at my work history and ask me about that. The other side is you can self teach yourself everything that a college course. College is just paying for world renowned experts to guide you in the process; then getting a piece of paper to prove it happened. 

Absolutely used software to do the grunt work and true I never used the more complicated differential equation solving techniques by hand. A lot of learning that is to learn the weakness of the software you are using. While I did not use a lot of differential equations and integrals I did use a lot LaPlace transforms and Z-transforms which come after differential equations and integrals in the Calculus progression. I found my education in math and science to be really useful in "generating ideas that lead to solutions". Often times the math shrunk down the trial and error time, and found a solution that would be more robust.   

• Like 4

On 7/29/2024 at 12:33 AM, quirkyOne said:

Aside from what 8Fill, Clarita, and others already covered about needing to pass math/physics courses in college and understanding aiding the generation of ideas, your kid(s) also need to be able to be accepted into college. To be accepted into a good engineering program it'd be really helpful to have strong math and physics credentials in high school. 

• Like 3

Agreeing with the others on attending ABET-accredited programs at universities…..and on planning on not using a calculator during the coursework for those uni classes. 

If you want to find a first robotics team near you: www.firstinspires.org. If you have multiple options near you, can you find their stats through googling. Some teams are more active than others, you want to find one that is regularly going to competitions and that is truly student led and student hands on. Time commitments vary, but most are pretty hardcore during competition season Jan-Apr. Even if his interest is primarily electrical and programming, he’ll want to cross train in mechanical to understand how electrical fits in. 2025’s theme has been teased through trailers to be water related, but they wont release the parameters of the challenge until January. He needs to be scouting and applying now if he wants in, though. Most teams want you to be shop trained well before build season.

• Like 2

I signed my boy up to brilliant.org, which looks amazing.

Also, I have the suspicion that we will simply move to Europe, as college is an incredible waste of money in the US, while the education is exactly the same as in Europe.

I am still fully aware that schools give SOME added value, but I much more value real life experiences and not textbooks. So we will attend a university in Europe (most likely in the Netherlands), see how it goes, and try to go from there.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

2 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

the education[in the US]  is exactly the same as in Europe

So we will attend a university in Europe (most likely in the Netherlands), see how it goes, and try to go from there.

Have you looked into entrance requirements for Dutch universities? They often want to see at least 5 APs, including calculus, calc-based physics, chem, and the like (for engineering majors anyway, but I even saw a marketing degree that wanted AP calc, since calc is normally a high school class in NL). And while I know a lot of degrees are available in English, socialization-wise it might suck if your kids' Dutch isn't great (and it's hard to practice Dutch in a place where everyone's English is pretty good). 

Of course, there are also colleges (hogescholen), which tend to have slightly lower entrance requirements than universities, but still... you really want to look into what they want to see from foreign applicants (and last I checked the pre-college track still taught basic calc in 11th grade). My pre-uni high school was basically the equivalent of doing AP everything. We used a US community college textbook for biology in 8th grade (in the bilingual program, obvs), just to give an idea. 

Also, the education is not exactly the same. At universities it's 3 years to a bachelor's, with the strong expectation of proceeding on to a master's (because universities used to not offer bachelor's programs and were 4-5 years to a master's after high school graduation), and it's basically major-only, no core curriculum etc the way US universities have. 

• Like 5

... I have the suspicion that we will simply move to Europe, as college is an incredible waste of money in the US, while the education is exactly the same as in Europe.

I am still fully aware that schools give SOME added value, but I much more value real life experiences and not textbooks. So we will attend a university in Europe (most likely in the Netherlands), see how it goes, and try to go from there...

If planning on moving to Europe prior to college years, and wanting to still homeschool, you will want to research and see if it is legal, or acceptable, or easy to do in the country you move to.

And also, research if homeschooling is going to be the best path into a European college.

Different countries may prefer students coming up through their high school system. Or at least, there may be fewer hoops for your children to jump through to apply to and be accepted for admission to a European college (hoops which @luuknam points out). According to this article at the Beyond the States website, "A few countries (Norway, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark) have extra requirements for all American applicants. Applicants either need a certain number of college credits, 3-4 AP scores of 3+, or an IB diploma..."

You may find you have a smoother transition by using an accredited homeschool "umbrella" organization for high school, such as Clonlara -- that organization provides accreditation, but also still allows for some flexibility in your homeschooling.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, quirkyOne said:

I signed my boy up to brilliant.org, which looks amazing.

Also, I have the suspicion that we will simply move to Europe, as college is an incredible waste of money in the US, while the education is exactly the same as in Europe.

I am still fully aware that schools give SOME added value, but I much more value real life experiences and not textbooks. So we will attend a university in Europe (most likely in the Netherlands), see how it goes, and try to go from there.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

We have had 5 kids go to college, our 6th is a college freshman. We have paid very little for our kids to attend school. Some have attended for free. The most expensive was $3000/semester. They have all graduated with zero debt (or $$ in the bank). 

It is perfectly ok to have an anti-college attitude. Lots do. But, you have to accept that you have to pursue fields that don't require a college degree. You can't go into the medical field without the degree. You cant be an engineer without a degree. 

And, earning a degree in the US and interning/co-oping opens doors to employment offers at graduation.

Can college degrees be a waste? Absolutely. Going to an expensive private school majoring in communications.....$70,000/yr for that degree is a joke. Going to an in-state college or a low cost out of state with scholarship money for an engineering degree? The gain in income is definitely worth it.

There are lots of scholarships out there for kids with high test scores and national merit scholars. And there are some just lower cost schools in general (especially if factoring in the costs associated with moving internationally.)

https://www.sdsmt.edu/admissions-aid/tuition-and-fees/index.html

Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 4