Menu

Audiobook suggestions? Just finished Tenant of Wildfell Hall…

21 minutes ago, Amoret said:

If you want something along the same lines, you might check out the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. The Count of Monte Cristo would be a good one for long travels, too.

I love the Count of Monte Cristo and are currently reading aloud with my daughter. Thanks so much for the recs, will check that one out! 

Silas Marner  by George Eliot is quite good too, and it has a somewhat similar feel. I hated the book when I had to read it in high school, but I just reread it last summer (right after I read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, actually) and really enjoyed it.

I second the recommendation for A Gentleman in Moscow, and we enjoyed listening to an audio version of Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis -- very different from Bronte, but engaging and good for long drives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed Midnight's Children read by Lyndam Gregory - hearing it really made all the difference to feeling the rhythms of the narration.

I also loved Moby Dick read by William Hootkins.

Also, a shout out for a brilliant voice actor  - Peter Kenny.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I recently listened to Lessons in Chemistry read in part by the author when I was on a road trip. I really liked it and started to watch the series based on the book. I found the book much better.

I could not finish this book. A bit too—-on the nose? It’s too bad.

4 hours ago, marbel said:

The audio of Middlemarch, narrated by Juliet Stevenson, is very good.

Also seconding A Gentleman in Moscow, though it is a very different type of story from Tenant.

She’s a favorite narrator for sure.

i read a Gentleman in Moscow a little while back, great book. 

I second The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, if you want something similar. I think it's a really interesting book.

For something different, I really enjoyed Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. It's set during Covid and it's a gentle, well-written story about a woman in her 50s talking to her now adult daughters about her past. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I second The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, if you want something similar. I think it's a really interesting book.

For something different, I really enjoyed Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. It's set during Covid and it's a gentle, well-written story about a woman in her 50s talking to her now adult daughters about her past. 

I enjoyed Tom Lake with Meryl Streep audio ❤️

the Dutch House narrated by Tom hanks was even better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

Daniel Deronda read by Nadia May is fantastic 

I love Nadia May. She also goes by, or maybe her real name is, Wanda McCaddon. She was a favorite at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival when I was going there back in the 90s

On 7/12/2024 at 9:23 AM, Amoret said:

If you want something along the same lines, you might check out the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. The Count of Monte Cristo would be a good one for long travels, too.

Thanks to you and to @bookbard for suggesting Woman in White, I’m loving the audio and it and it’s deliciously long. I had a record 26hrs plus travel back to the US due to delays and events and now taking long walks daily so this is just the ticket 🙏

• Like 6

10 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Thanks to you and to @bookbard for suggesting Woman in White, I’m loving the audio and it and it’s deliciously long. I had a record 26hrs plus travel back to the US due to delays and events and now taking long walks daily so this is just the ticket 🙏

When I choose an audio book, I look for the wonderfully long ones, as well. Not only do I like the bang for my credit but I love being able to live in the world as long as I can. I had no idea Woman in White was 26 hours. I read it a long time ago but now I think I need to give it a listen. Thanks for coming back for an update!

• Thanks 1