Menu

What is this pain? A question about alcohol consumption and its effects.

Over the course of our family Christmas celebration yesterday afternoon and evening, I drank a martini and probably three glasses of wine. This sort of heavy consumption is not normal for me, but I do tend to drink this way on holidays or other drawn-out family gatherings.

Today I have a terrible aching pain in my hips, thighs, knees and shins, and I recall having the same sort of pain after a big celebration during the summer months. As I think about it, I am seeing a connection between over-consumption of alcohol and this pain in my legs over the past couple of years.

If I have a single glass of wine in the evening, I don't have this experience. Three or four drinks, however, and I spend the following day in a considerable amount of pain.

The easy solution, of course, and my plan for future celebrations, is to limit myself to only one drink. Still, I wonder what the real problem is. Does anyone else have a similar issue, or have you heard of such a thing?

Doctors? What is my problem?

Edited by Crissy

I always figure it has something to do with the dehydration that occurs after drinking in excess.

I'd just plan on taking some Tylenol. I'd never forego a good glass of wine (or three).

Unfortunately, pain relievers haven't helped.

Dehydration does seem a logical issue, though.

One thing I notice is that if I mix "grape and grain" (i.e, wine and distilled spirits) I feel much worse the next day than if I just stick to one or the other. It could be just one serving of each, and I'll definitely notice it the next day. Also, I try to have a glass of water for each serving of alcohol to keep myself hydrated. An Advil before bed helps too :)

One thing I notice is that if I mix "grape and grain" (i.e, wine and distilled spirits) I feel much worse the next day than if I just stick to one or the other.

When you say 'much worse the next day' are your referring to regular hang-over type symptoms?

I don't have those. The four drinks I had yesterday were spread out between the hours of 2 and 8PM. Additionally, I drank water, ate a good-sized meal and had coffee with dessert.

Also, it is rare that I have a cocktail and wine in the same evening.

Usually, I just drink wine, but still have the same hip and leg pain if I've had more than I should.

When you say 'much worse the next day' are your referring to regular hang-over type symptoms?

I wouldn't call them hangover symptoms but general body ache. (Not a headache, just a feeling of achy limbs.)

I don't think four drinks in 6 hours with food and water is excessive. I will sometimes have a multi-course meal with wine pairings (a glass of wine with each course.) As long as I stick to wine, I'm fine the next day. If I add a cocktail or a liqueur, I'm achy (see above).

Could it be the sugar content in the alcohol? I've recently discovered that much of my pain is directly related to sugar consumption.

If I eat too much sugar even in one day, my legs will ache so badly that I can't sleep!

Just a thought.

if it's sugar, which means a thickening of the blood to the point of bad circulation which means - high tail thyself to the dr for a diabetes screening!

totally aside from that...

my dh and I couldn't help but joke that the more one drinks, the more one stumbles, the more one stumbles, the more likely to get some leg pain.....:lol:

not saying you were sloshed, just saying that's the typical reason for leg pain after drinking....;):D

my dh and I couldn't help but joke that the more one drinks, the more one stumbles, the more one stumbles, the more likely to get some leg pain.....:lol:

not saying you were sloshed, just saying that's the typical reason for leg pain after drinking....;):D

:smilielol5:

That really did make me laugh out loud, Martha!

I always figure it has something to do with the dehydration that occurs after drinking in excess.

I'd just plan on taking some Tylenol. I'd never forego a good glass of wine (or three).

I agree.

Alternate wine with water. One glass os wine, one glass of water, one glass of wine....

if it's sugar, which means a thickening of the blood to the point of bad circulation which means - high tail thyself to the dr for a diabetes screening!

Really? Because I know sugar causes inflammation, in general, and that could certainly a cause for the pain...yes?

I agree.

Alternate wine with water. One glass os wine, one glass of water, one glass of wine....

Oh, good! A nurse checking in. Thanks, Karen!

I'd heard the suggestion for more water, but I certainly didn't drink one for one.

About the suggestions folks gave for using pain relievers after drinking, I thought that was a no-no. Isn't it hard on the organs (the liver or kidneys, perhaps)?

I don't know the answer, but I have this too. If I drink certain type of alcohol, my right arm with just ache with pain. It radiates through my arm up to my chest. The first time it happened, it scared me to death. I thought I was having a heart attack. I have found that it happens with cheaper liquor than the better stuff. I don't drink all that often, but now it is even less because I am always afraid of that happening. I also noticed that this happened when I took Tylenol Cold. I have no idea what the connection is.

I'd heard the suggestion for more water, but I certainly didn't drink one for one.

About the suggestions folks gave for using pain relievers after drinking, I thought that was a no-no. Isn't it hard on the organs (the liver or kidneys, perhaps)?

I wouldn't mix Tylenol and alcohol if one can help it. It can be hepatotoxic.

Tylenol is really bad. Kills the liver. I feel sorry for people who take Tylenol PM *JUST SO THEY CAN SLEEP*.

Aspirin gets ok reviews.

B vitamins are an excellent anti hang over.

Back to the Tylenol PM - why you sleep....it has diphenhydramine which is Benadryl! So you're taking an antihistamine for sleep in addition to acetaminophen for pain. I know people who have no pain and just want to sleep. They'd do better with some cheap generic Benadryl if that's what they're after. (Although I say many herbs induce restful sleep and are not as dangerous).

Directions on Tyl. PM say to take 2 pills - which is 1,000mg of acetaminophen/liver killer. 2,000mg is your top allowable safe daily dose. How many people out there are taking more than 2,000mg a day - and how many people out there have livers that are already busy and can not handle even a thousand or half that of acetaminophen?

I know nurses who will not EVER take Tylenol.

I take about 2 a year - each dose is 250mg - but the placebo effect works for me and as soon as I swallow a pill, I get relief.

Found this online:

What are the main ingredients in Tylenol PM?

Each gelcap/geltab/caplet of Tylenol PM contains 500 mg of the pain reliever, acetaminophen, and 25 mg of the sleep aid, diphenhydramine HCl.

How is Tylenol PM different from Benadryl® brand products?

Each gelcap/geltab/caplet of Tylenol PM contains 500 mg of the pain reliever, acetaminophen, and 25 mg of the sleep aid, diphenhydramine HCl. Classified as an antihistamine with sedating properties, diphenhydramine is the same active ingredient found in many Benadryl® products.

Next time try the water - one for one - and see what happens.

Really? Because I know sugar causes inflammation, in general, and that could certainly a cause for the pain...yes?

if it's causing actual pain - that really should be checked just to be sure. loss of nerve function due to high sugars is a top problem with diabetes and often goes undiagnosed until the damage is permanent. the testing for diabetes is so simple that it really can't hurt to be sure. Also, if the sugar is thickening the blood to the point that it causes pain in the extremities, that means it's possibly also slowing blood flow to other important areas - like the heart and eyes, which are the top 2 diabetic complications.

NOT saying anyone here has diabetes, just saying that sugar alone shouldn't cause pain in a normally healthy body.:)

as for sulfites - I get headaches from wines with added sulfites. esp the darker wines. all wine naturally has sulfites, but some ADD more to them. we have a great liquer store friend that always recommends the natural sulfite/low sulfite wines for me.

oh and I'd never mix any meds with alcohol, tylenol or asprin. tylenol is hard ont he liver and asprin+alcohol=double the blood thinner. maybe advil instead?

sometimes the best treatment is a nap.

Could it be the sugar content in the alcohol? I've recently discovered that much of my pain is directly related to sugar consumption.

If I eat too much sugar even in one day, my legs will ache so badly that I can't sleep!

Just a thought.

This happens to my husband. He doesn't drink, but if he eats too much sugar his joints ache. He's not diabetic or pre-diabetic.