Menu

Dd working at Scout camp this summer. Things to make it more pleasant?

She is working 8 wks in mts of VA living in a tent. What are some things you as a camper would recommend to make her tent comfortable? And pretty😄

No, really--what can I send her that might be a bit beyond the basics? Brands appreciated. Has to be available on internet. 

Platform tent or regular tent?

Battery or solar powered string lights.

Tea or good instant coffee and a nice thermal cup. 

Family photo in a sturdy plastic frame 

Mattress topper and fitted sheet, if they have beds.

Small, cute indoor/outdoor rug? 

Garden flag to go by the entrance? Welcome mat.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

DS worked scout camp.  His most used items that summer were these.  I'm not going to link things because his is 15 years old/bought in other countries.

A good camp chair.  Something with support that doesn't sag.  Youngest ds had his eye on one that also came with a matching table (roll up top of hard slats, not fabric)

A silk sleeping bag insert.  It gets hot in the summer.  The silk was breathable enough for him to be comfortable but also retained just enough heat.  It was quick wash, quick dry.

Microfiber towels - 3 of them.  Again, quick wash, quick dry. One for bathing, one for swimming, one to alternate if they were being washed. 

Mosquito netting.  Especially if she has a bunk or wants to create an extension of the tent as an outdoor spot, it's really useful.

A thin welcome mat.  I think ds got his at one of the dollar places, but we use a berber carpet style one for family camping inside the tent and a more rubbery one outside.  There needs to be a place for muddy shoes that's not in the weather and not getting the tent filthy.

Organizational containers.  I bought ones like this from Ikea a long time ago, except ours are red/blue/green.  They're about the size of shoe boxes, zipper bottom to lie flat, and are nylon to help keep from absorbing water. I bought them about 12 years ago, they're still going strong.  In fact, they'll be used quite a bit this summer: family vacation and two different summer camps.  It's nice to have something to store all the little things and keep the floor neat, and not have to drag out the trunk or bag each time.

Lights.  ALL THE LIGHTS.  Bonus if you can get some solar power in there, too.  The garden stakes with solar lights? They're perfect to mark the lines of the tent and keep folks from tripping.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

The garden stakes with solar lights? They're perfect to mark the lines of the tent and keep folks from tripping.

This is a great idea & you can get them at Dollar Tree. 

In my dd’s case, money. On days off, the “kids” were always going out to eat and shop. Especially the year when the camp food was especially bad.

She brought plastic drawers to organize all her stuff.

A good stiff broom in addition to indoor and outdoor rugs. 

Good shoes to wear while other shoes dry out.

When I camp, I like to have unscented cleaner for wiping down dusty/dirty surfaces. Scented cleaners can attract animals.

Battery and solar lights have always been THE thing to have, particularly for the girls’ tents. 
Clothes pins for utility and decorating. 

• Like 3

A hammock and bug net/tarp are good for naps! 

Dd takes a couple small plastic bins to keep her personal food in the big fridge. She mostly keeps fresh fruit and veggies, since those are in short supply on camp menus. 

Will she have a vehicle and can she store stuff in it?

Dd also takes a small plastic vase to put wildflowers in. My beauty-loving girl. 

Edited by ScoutTN

18 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

In my dd’s case, money. On days off, the “kids” were always going out to eat and shop. Especially the year when the camp food was especially bad.

She brought plastic drawers to organize all her stuff.

A good stiff broom in addition to indoor and outdoor rugs. 

Good shoes to wear while other shoes dry out.

When I camp, I like to have unscented cleaner for wiping down dusty/dirty surfaces. Scented cleaners can attract animals.

Battery and solar lights have always been THE thing to have, particularly for the girls’ tents. 
Clothes pins for utility and decorating. 

This reminds me of our visit to Kings Canyon. All the toilet blocks had mini half doors at the entrance. We found out why when someone left one open. The dingoes had a thing for soap and would go into the shower blocks and try to steal soap from people’s toiletries or that had been left behind.

• Haha 1

Thanks, all. I am getting her a lantern and a mat for shoes/to keep tent clean. 

It seems weird to get a rechargeable lantern and not battery powered. I mean, recharging it all the time? Like, leave it in a building somewhere? But 8 weeks of batteries seems a lot, too. 

• Like 1