Menu

If school is evacuated for a police action

Miss Tick

Thanks. My question was really tongue in cheek, which is my way of countering stress with humor. I haven't heard of any actual injuries. I'm hoping it was all in the name of caution. I'm expecting renewed home school requests from dd, though.

• Like 5

I’m so glad your daughter is ok. 

I think it depends on the state. I think in my state school districts choose between counting hours or counting days, but I’m pretty school all of that was ignored after a school shooting in a nearby district. Idk if there are exceptions after emergencies or terror events, or how they got away with that legally. Maybe they were counting on forgiveness rather than permission. 

It is still counted as a school day. We had a neighborhood wide shelter in place which included two schools because of an armed robber.

ETA: 

Here school evacuations are more likely because of a hazmat situation though. For active shooter situations we default to shelter in place. If it is a K-5 school, they let parents pick up the kids once the school boundaries shelter in place order is lifted. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm encouraged by the lack of new news that the incident was not, in the end, serious. 

I’m so glad of that. Hope your dd isn’t very upset; an incident like that is bound to create a sense of vulnerability for the students.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm encouraged by the lack of new news that the incident was not, in the end, serious.

Usually we get the updates through the local Nixle alert system before the social media post from the local police department. Here, people would “joke” that called in threats to schools are because someone doesn’t want to take an exam. It is people’s way of diffusing the tension.